Work Sharp Owners Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Work Sharp Owners Question

Post by Hi5 »

There seem to be a fair number of us Work Sharp owners, judging by posts I have read. I am VERY pleased with the Ken Onion model I just bought. I watched a number of Utube videos and it was an easy learning curve.

Now I'm up against a problem. There is an answer, but it involves a rather pricey solution.

I want to finish sharpening my Boker ceramic blade knife. I stated sharpening it with my Lansky diamond sharpener, but I quit while I was behind. That little, dull, pocket knife has been sitting in a drawer for years now. WorkSharp makes a diamond sharpening kit for ceramic blade knives. It's too pricey for me for one little knife. But, if there are other ceramic blade owners out there who would like to become part of a joint venture, let's talk. The belts MUST not be used on steel, because it will apparently cause the belt to plug, or so says the Work Sharp info.

Any interested parties??
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Work Sharp Owners Question

Post by Hunt it »

I thought Boker would sharpen those free for life if you send it in??
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Boker wants $19.95 to do the sharpening and return the knife and in addition there would be the cost of shipping to send it to them.

By the way, after reading your posts on the thread about knife sharpening devices, I bought one of the Outdoors Edge replaceable blade knives that you so highly spoke about. I gave it as a gift to the friend on whose farm I hunt elk. Then, after checking them over, I ordered the next better model, the one that has the gut knife. I think you were right. That looks like a well designed system.

Now, about ceramic blade sharpening--nobody else dumb enough to buy one? Or, does everyone else send out their knives to the manufacturer to get them sharpened?
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

I must have been mistaken on the free sharpening from Boker - when they were the craze one of the makers advertised free for life sharpening - I thought it was Boker as they came out with em first.

As for the outdoor edge, I bought 4 more on the way up moose hunting this year for members of the group that decided they needed one. Between the 8 of us I'd bet we own $5,000.00 worth of knives and we are all now using a $40.00 knife - simple but can't beat it. One guy who owned Havalon also switched over said he liked OE better.
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Hunt it wrote:I must have been mistaken on the free sharpening from Boker - when they were the craze one of the makers advertised free for life sharpening - I thought it was Boker as they came out with em first.

As for the outdoor edge, I bought 4 more on the way up moose hunting this year for members of the group that decided they needed one. Between the 8 of us I'd bet we own $5,000.00 worth of knives and we are all now using a $40.00 knife - simple but can't beat it. One guy who owned Havalon also switched over said he liked OE better.

Not to hijack the thread, but which Outdoor Edge knife do you have/like.

I've been thinking about getting one.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Razor Light and razor pro, the gut blade on the pro is way nicer to use than gut hook.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The replaceable blades are, I think, all the same. However, the more expensive model, in addition to having replaceable blades, also has a gut blade. It's not a "hook", and it should work better than a hook.
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Hi5 wrote:The replaceable blades are, I think, all the same. However, the more expensive model, in addition to having replaceable blades, also has a gut blade. It's not a "hook", and it should work better than a hook.
The more expensive one you mention is the Pro model I mention and the gut blade is way nicer than a hook for sure - I've used it.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a diamond grit belt, new, that you are welcome to.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The Work Sharp brand diamond grit belts come in two grits, I understand. I have no nicks or gaps to grind out, so the fine grit should do the trick. Do you recall which one you have? Is it the W.S. brand?

Why is it still new? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hi5 wrote:The Work Sharp brand diamond grit belts come in two grits, I understand. I have no nicks or gaps to grind out, so the fine grit should do the trick. Do you recall which one you have? Is it the W.S. brand?

Why is it still new? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I cooked two Work sharps. Fried them. I have many, many belts left over. I went on a buying spree of belts, lots left over from when I killed my last machine. Not WS brand, a secondary company.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Private message sent.