I need some input

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Square_hammer

I need some input

Post by Square_hammer »

So I can't be the only person who doesn't like the multi yardage reticle, can I? what does everyone else do you be able to use a single cross hair reticle? Also does the scope have to be crossbow specific? I have a nice vortex diamond back that I bought for my muzzle loader, but I think it would compliment my matrix nicely. I try and limit my shots to 30 yard's, most of my stands you wouldn't get much farther of a shot than 30. So would it work if I zero at 25 and practice to know where it would hit at different ranges. Sorry if my questions seem silly, but it's my first crossbow. Anyway thanks in advance guys.
Matrix 330
Vortex diamondback 2-7
hha optimizer
8pntbuck string
16.5" zombies with 92gr insert
QAD exodus 125gn
G5 Striker 125gn
SEW

Re: I need some input

Post by SEW »

Seems like a good plan. However, your Xbow has at least a 50-60 yd capability. Might consider an HHA Optimizer (very hi quality dial-a-range).
Boo

Post by Boo »

There are lots of people that use just one crosshair. With the exception of one bow, I set my cross hairs at 20.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I use a single cross hair. Sighted in at 20 yards. I hold dead centre out to 30 yards. The VXR firedot is the best $$ I ever spent...

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.

Post by newbie »

im with jeff. for hunting i sight it in for 30 a d just aim. i did 20 this year but will be re sighting for 30 next and just use the firedot. All my spots are 30 and under with one exception.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Based on practice and the arrow weight I'm shooting,I zero my scope at the 20 yard cross hair and the other Chevrons(30,40,50) hit pretty much dead on. I also use a range finder to be exact on my yardage when shooting at deer. I have never shot greater than 20 yards. I always place a pumpkin sprayed with vanilla extract at the 20 yard mark. I could easily shoot the deer at a lesser yardage but,my cross hair is set for 20 yards.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I use a Luepold VX-R 3-9X40 with the ballistic firedot reticle and an HHA Optimizer and I use Vortex Viper XB-R crossbow scopes with the MOA.. sight in for 30yards and see how high you are at 20yards or split the difference. i.e., sight in at 26 yards (or 25 or 27???) so you're 2" high at 20yards and 2" low at 30yards. Assuming you have a 4" drop from 20-30. Whichever it is, split that distance and use only the main crosshairs. From my M380 with the Optimizer I dial to 33yards which puts me 2"high at 20yards and 2" low at 40yards.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I think everyone assumes that you are hunting big game, such as deer. If that is the case, with most bow models, being sighted in at 30 yards would still put your arrow into a kill zone at 20 yards or 40 yards. If you are squirrel hunting multiple hashmarks and a rangefinder would be a necessity.

If your bow is slower, then you would need to do some "shading", aiming a bit low at 20 and a bit high at 40. If you practice as you should be doing with your equipment, this will become a second nature thing, and you will do it without having to think.

An advantage of a single aiming point is the avoidance of confusing which aim point to use in an excited state. Ask around how many of us explain a missed deer because we used the wrong hashmark.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

30 yards dead on will be the best bet in my opinion. Most shots are going to be between 20 & 30 yards, or right in your lap at times. IMHO.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Square_hammer

Post by Square_hammer »

Awesome. Looks like I will be resighting my crossbow in the near future. I agree I think 30 yard zero will be perfect. The area I hunt in, 30 is about as far as you could shoot. Here is one area that opens up nice where 40 yards is possible. I think I will wait until my 8pntbuck flemish string arrives to sight it in. How much would a fair price for a like new dead zone scope be? It came on my Matrix 330. I only got the xbow this summer, and got a deer early, so really only seen the woods ten times or so.
Matrix 330
Vortex diamondback 2-7
hha optimizer
8pntbuck string
16.5" zombies with 92gr insert
QAD exodus 125gn
G5 Striker 125gn
sportsman700

Post by sportsman700 »

Just Bought a Red Hot Pin Point Scope, Single crosshair with a illuminated dot in the center and Adjustable Turret to 70 yds
350 SE
Red Hot Pin Point Scope
17" Spynal Tapps
Raven Broadheads