O/T Hurricane in Alabama

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

striper

O/T Hurricane in Alabama

Post by striper »

We really had a wind event in Alabama Thursday. I live about 140 miles from the coast and we had about 8 hours of wind above 40 MPH, with gusts to 70 miles. We live on top of a hill and the remains of the eye came directly over our house. It made for some really exciting moments. No serious damage, though. Power was off for about 26 hours, but I was able to keep my choice venison frozen.
All us deer hunters are going to have a lot of road clearing to do in our deer woods. I hope my crossbow brothers in Alabama came out as well as we did. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
icthus153

Post by icthus153 »

striper, i live in phenix city al and we had some rough wind and rain, but from what i can tell we only lost a few trees on my hunting land. not like when opal came thru,. we lost groves of white oaks then, it broke my heart. i can say we were really blessed this time.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Glad ya came thru that ok striper, I watched it all for a week :!: few more out there but they THINK they will miss the USA. :lol:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

Good to hear from you Striper, I was wondering how you fared :D

I was planning to go tomorrow and spend a week at my daughters beach house at Gulf Shores where the eye came in, as their house is a few hundred yds off the beach we hope flooding is the worst thing to happen to it :cry:

I also had another daughter and her family ride it out in Milton, Fla. next to Pensacola, they are OK and just minor damage to their house.

leo
wabi

Post by wabi »

Striper,
I was wondering how hard it hit everyone. Good to hear you're OK!
We got cool weather and plenty of rain here in southern Ohio as a result of the storm. It amazing what a huge area they affect!
wabi
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

You all were in my thoughts and prayers..

I'm glad the good Lord was looking out for you all..

Since we had got hit by a tornado back in May we have a LOT more appreciation for what some folks go through.

Houses and property can be repaired (our FINALLY is) but the loss of a life can't.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
striper

Post by striper »

First to Leo: I hate to tell you this, but Gulf Shores is pretty much a shambles on both sides of the beach road in Gulf Shores, AL. Most of the homes and businesses all the way back to the Escambia Bay Bridge suffered extensive damage or were completely destroyed, especially the area within 200 yards of the gulf beach. The old Floribama Tavern on the state line was wiped out.
To Woody: I really sympathise with the tornado damage you sufffered. The wind roared here for nearly ten hours and 7 inches of rainfell during that time (the rain fell sideways all day). I am glad this doesn't happen very often. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.

Post by Guest »

Hi Striper,

So glad to hear you guys came out OK in Clanton. But as you said, the gulf coast really got hammered. Those poor souls there are suffering terribly. I saw a news piece that shows a section of highway (route 10?)
that was washed off it's concrete supports. A tractor-trailer in the same video was sheared in half by the 40' wall of water that destroyed the causeway. The truck driver was killed.

We had a thunder boomer here a few weeks ago with gusts to 60 mph, that was bad enough. But when I see the destruction wrought on the south by these storms, it makes the losses we incurred seem very, very, small and unimportant.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Striper:

I was worried about you when I heard a report from a shop owner who chose to stay behind to protect his business from being looted. He said it was like being hit by a freight train for eight hours!