My new Micro 335 takes its first two deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

steveOh

My new Micro 335 takes its first two deer

Post by steveOh »

On Saturday Oct. 22nd at around 7:45 a deer came into the field from my left. I could tell that it was an antlerless deer, but on first glance I did not know if it was a mature doe, button buck or young-of–the-year doe. As it slowly walked into my wide shooting lane I caught a glimpse of another deer coming up behind it. Immediately I could tell that the trailing deer was a fawn and that the first deer, now stopped slightly quartering away and in front of my camera, was a mature doe.

I then slipped the safety off on my new Excalibur Micro 335 and put the crosshair on her and took the shot. At the shot, I saw the red Lumenok zip through her and stick into the ground. She bolted at the shot and ran down the fenceline for about 45 yards and then jumped the fence. She then bounded through the thick overgrown field for another 50 yards or so before doing the death spiral and expiring. The Spitfire broadhead did its job.

Friday the 28th I hunted, for the first time this season, a small property which I was saving to hunt starting the last few days of October. This property lies along the Little Miami River Valley and consists of a north/south ravine that divides a southern-facing hillside. I have only been hunting this property for a few years now and have determined that there seems to be more deer activity during the early stages of the rut, namely the last part of October and the first week of November. Bucks have been observed pushing does along the hillside and eventually crossing the ravine at a couple of preferred locations.

I have a chain-on stand 20 feet up on a tree on the side of the ravine at one of those crossings. From the stand to the bottom of the ravine is about 30 feet, and the distance from the stand straight across to the opposite hillside is around 22 yards.

Friday I climbed in the stand around 7 o’clock. There was a slight breeze from the south. The past couple of years the early deer movement came from the east with young bucks chasing does and crossing the ravine near my stand. Later in the morning I have witnessed does coming down from a bedding area at the top of the hillside across from me and then cross the ravine. On a few occasions there have been bucks on their tails during this time of the season. Last year I videoed a nice buck do just that.

As the morning went on I sat there with anticipation of seeing some activity. Time passed surprisingly quickly and before I knew it, it was 10 o’clock and I had not seen nor heard a deer. I just figured that the rutting activity had not started yet and that things would get better as the days went on. I was comfortable so I decided to stay another hour or two and passed the time eating my snacks.

At 11:20 I heard a loud snap up on the hilltop at the bedding area. I looked up the hill and saw movement among the abundant honeysuckle. It was a deer, now noisily moving through the brush and it was heading down the hill towards the bottom of the ravine. Soon, when the deer was about one third of the way down the hill, I could make out a decent set of antlers. I unhooked my Excalibur Micro 335 crossbow from the hanger and got ready for a shot. Soon the buck was straight across from me and down the hillside about 10 feet above the bottom of the ravine. He then stopped for a second and was standing quartering toward me a bit. I put the crosshair behind the right front shoulder and squeezed off the shot.

Instantly I could see the red lighted Lumenok hit its mark. The buck bolted and ran down a few feet to the ravine and then ran along the bottom before running up a point that splits the ravine into a Y. He then hit a clear path that runs up the point and when he was about 2/3 of the way up he slowed, stopped and toppled over.

He is a 10-point with split brow tines and a few other character sticker points. The broadhead was stuck in the opposite rib from the entry point. The top of the arrow was broken off.

With the help from my brother-in-law and the landowners’ quad it was an easy drag.

This is the first time that I have been tagged out with a doe and a buck before November.
Micro 335, Hawke XB1 SR
16.5" GT 396 Swift Pro by Wyvern
100gr Spitfires
Lumenok
386 Grain
huntinwi

Re: My new Micro 335 takes its first two deer

Post by huntinwi »

Congrats great buck
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Very nice buck, Congrats on the double!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Yep! Very nice! Congratulations!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Beauty deer man. Congrats and enjoy some good eats..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Oh ya congrats on the fine buck.!!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

There ya go!!! Nice OH whitetail!!! Congrats
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

What a beast congrats
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

That is a monster! Congrats!!!
ROGER THAT

Post by ROGER THAT »

Congrats That's a Awesome Buck :D :D :D
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Well done! Very nice deer, some good mass on that buck.
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

Congratulations. That is a very nice deer.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

......I am searching for my eyeballs on the floor!

......Wow, that be one fine speciman!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Waaahhhhoooo hot dang thats be a sure enuff hoss my friend congrats on him n yer fine Doe
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great buck!,, Congrats on both
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335