Favorite time of day to hunt?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Goose52

Re: Favorite time of day to hunt?

Post by Goose52 »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Afternoon hunts are the ticket for me. I have a 1.5 hour drive from my house to my stand. In order for me to slip in when it's dark I have to wak up really early. Makes for a long day. I would rather leave in the early afternoon.
wow... ur round trip drive possibly longer than ur hunt!! how often do you make that trip?
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I most always hunt evenings. Seems to be more deer running around.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Goose52 wrote:
bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Afternoon hunts are the ticket for me. I have a 1.5 hour drive from my house to my stand. In order for me to slip in when it's dark I have to wak up really early. Makes for a long day. I would rather leave in the early afternoon.
wow... ur round trip drive possibly longer than ur hunt!! how often do you make that trip?
So far this season I made the trip twice. I brought this home on my last trip...:)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Has already been stated but I love the morning! Love watching the woods wake up around me. In the stand while it's dark is so relaxing to me. I've seen lots of action I never would've seen I not been there early. One morning I thought the woods were falling down around me but it turned out to be raining turkeys!! About a dozen birds flew down around me!! I didn't even know they were there!! It actually scared the s@#$ out of me till I realized was happening!! :lol:
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

newbie wrote:I live being in the woods as they wake up... nothing better.
Having said that i prefer afternoon hunts. Getting to my stands requires crossing fields where they normally are feeding. im set up between bedding and feeding. I just plain dont jump deer in the afternoon and see a ton more.
tracking at night is no big deal if you have the proper light. I bought a neutral colour light about 4 years ago and blood pops with this thing.
Plus if i need a hand the seasonal farm workers are usually done in the bunk house for the evening and they jump at the chance to see/watch and help.

I bought VICHELO head lamp with extra batterys no problem tracking deer in dark without snow .I take my GPS out of pack and used the direction arrow to point at last spot I saw Buck disappear.I haul my climber back to truck while waiting for Buck to lay down hr or so later I get on tracks..

that light is just great ..
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have gotten 90 percent of my archery bucks during evening hunts l am self employed and dont get a ton of vacation time so l try to get my work done by 3 during the season n head out . The only mornings l hunt are saturday. I only hunt 20 minutes from home so l can always get help tracking and l carry enough lighting that l will light up a bloodtrail like day lm very used to nitetime tracking dosnt even phase me. Since going to the crossbow from my longbow days the crossbow has generally made a better bloodtrail due to its penetration. Our coyotes have not taken over yet so far so letting one go till morning is usually doable if necessary.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.