Thermocell or not

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Patcon

Thermocell or not

Post by Patcon »

It has been really warm this fall, and because of that it has been necessary to deal with mosquitos while hunting. It has cooled off some, so morning hunts aren't a problem any more but evening hunts still require a deterrent.
Somewhere I heard about Thermocells and I got one off Amazon several weeks ago. It works really good at keeping mosquitos away but I don't think I have seen a single deer while running it. Anyone else use one? Any issues with it driving off deer too?
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
amythntr

Re: Thermocell or not

Post by amythntr »

Patcon wrote:It has been really warm this fall, and because of that it has been necessary to deal with mosquitos while hunting. It has cooled off some, so morning hunts aren't a problem any more but evening hunts still require a deterrent.
Somewhere I heard about Thermocells and I got one off Amazon several weeks ago. It works really good at keeping mosquitos away but I don't think I have seen a single deer while running it. Anyone else use one? Any issues with it driving off deer too?
...,, about a month ago there was a 3 page thread touting the use of thermacell... why not do a search and you will find the concensus is we wouldn't leave home without it!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings

Post by newbie »

Yup if skeeters were bugging me i would take it. Rather them smell it then see me swatting at the bugs.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
JimM

Post by JimM »

I've used one for years. Killed lots of deer while using it. Must my stands are 25' to 30' feet up though.
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I had a thermacell going when I shot my eight point this yr,, But the bear guide that I use in Hillsport , Ontario said hell no don't use them ... did I see any bear when the thermacell was going ?? Nope ... After yep .. To each there own
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Good question.Skidders are not a issue for me in deer season so I don't need my Thermacell.If by chance they do give off an unnatural scent signature then it might well spook them.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I got some Elimitick clothing from GameHide, and it is treated with permetherin, and lasts the life of the clothing. I wore it on a hunt in 75 degree weather, and no Thermacell, the bugs did not bug me! :lol: Skeeters, or anything else. Point here is get the Permetherin, or some Elimitick clothes, or use the Thermacell, but don't head out out without something!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Where my buddies hunt spring bear, the guides tell every one to bring one.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Sorry Anthony
I have pretty much read every thread daily for several months now. Must have missed it...
Hopefully it will cool off soon so this will be a none issue at least for this year. I am pretty high up but the lack of deer sightings makes me suspicious. I will check into some other options. It will be an issue during bow season next year for sure
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Patcon wrote:Sorry Anthony
I have pretty much read every thread daily for several months now. Must have missed it...
Hopefully it will cool off soon so this will be a none issue at least for this year. I am pretty high up but the lack of deer sightings makes me suspicious. I will check into some other options. It will be an issue during bow season next year for sure

.....I typed in "Thermacell" in the search bar above and up popped all of the hits! It is a good way to find something I have found! :wink:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Anthony
I read all those last night when I couldn't sleep. I didn't realize the Thermacell had been around as long as it has. I had never heard of it before. After reading through those threads I still wonder if it is making a deterrent for me. One of those threads most of the use was in a ground blind, which I would think would minimize scent travel. The others, like VixChix coyote kill, she had the wind in her favor in an open area. I am hunting a creek bottom and the wind is very unpredictable. So I wonder if I'm stinking it all up with the thermacell. Last year this time we had already had our first frost a month ago so you could sit in the evenings pretty much mosquito free. I may scratch evening hunts until it gets cooler
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Patcon wrote:It has been really warm this fall, and because of that it has been necessary to deal with mosquitos while hunting. It has cooled off some, so morning hunts aren't a problem any more but evening hunts still require a deterrent.
I use one a lot here in NC, but I also worry about the smell, so I use it sparingly. What I know is that I can sit still with one running. Not so much without. And in the times when I needed one and it ran out of fuel or I forgot it...I didn't see any deer either because I was moving so much swatting them.

Pick your spots to sit based on wind (in your face from where you expect the deer to come) and you'll be OK with it on.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><

Post by newbie »

if you arent playing the wind right they WILL smell you no matter what. Thermocell or not.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Patcon wrote:Anthony
I read all those last night when I couldn't sleep. I didn't realize the Thermacell had been around as long as it has. I had never heard of it before. After reading through those threads I still wonder if it is making a deterrent for me. One of those threads most of the use was in a ground blind, which I would think would minimize scent travel. The others, like VixChix coyote kill, she had the wind in her favor in an open area. I am hunting a creek bottom and the wind is very unpredictable. So I wonder if I'm stinking it all up with the thermacell. Last year this time we had already had our first frost a month ago so you could sit in the evenings pretty much mosquito free. I may scratch evening hunts until it gets cooler
....Patcon...ultimately it is your decision to make (pro or con)....I do use the earth scent wafers and yes, most of the time I have used it has been in a blind...best to you in coming to a decision! :wink:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

nchunterkw wrote:
I use one a lot here in NC, but I also worry about the smell, so I use it sparingly. What I know is that I can sit still with one running. Not so much without. And in the times when I needed one and it ran out of fuel or I forgot it...I didn't see any deer either because I was moving so much swatting them.

Pick your spots to sit based on wind (in your face from where you expect the deer to come) and you'll be OK with it on.
....even with that Grizzly Adam's beard brother...I would have thought those dang Skeeters would fear the very thought of coming near ya :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

Anthony :mrgreen:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings