3 questions about water holes for deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

3 questions about water holes for deer

Post by BryanOney »

1. Has anyone ever found a water hole in the woods that deer use a lot. I have found the first one of my life and cannot believe the deer traffic it gets. Why do deer favor this water and not other low wet spots. I have hunted this spot 3 times and see 13 does, and 5 bucks. 2 of the bucks were over 100 inches. I am from Ohio and there is no real shortage of water herel

2. Anyone ever make a water hole for deer that gets used by deer a lot. I have made one, and the deer do not utilize it. What are the keys to getting a deer to use a man made water hole.

3. Have you ever seen deer pee in a water hole then drink the water. I saw a button buck take a huge pee in my good water hole the other night and then 7 consecutive deer including 3 bucks came and drank the water even though it had urine in it.

Would love to hear about peoples experiences with deer and water holes
xcaliber

Re: 3 questions about water holes for deer

Post by xcaliber »

Well, I hunted a place years ago that had a good size water hole on it, and was quite a distance from other sources. It was very productive when it was dry in that area. Deer often urinate and dedicate in areas where they drink and feed to the point that I seldom think they have no control over those functions. :lol: The practical idiot in me says hunt where you see deer! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

That particular water source is probably high in mineral content compared to other local sources.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

when my neighboring camp had some construction done i had the dozer & backhoe over to do some work for me... anyway he dug a small water hole at the swamp edge & made a small food plot too so i had food water & cover all in 1 area.. what whitetail could resist? evidently plenty of them! its not a deer magnet but it definitely gets used and its fun watching the fawns play king of the pond from the tree stand... food plot too small to last long & other neighbors have now put in bigger plots & have way more $$ than this guy plus normal autumn rainfall has water in the swamp so its not an essential source for them... come to think of it tho my 1st & best xbow buck, a velvet 9, came the next year & i saw more bucks than previously that year... anyway, any habit improvement is a good thing whether i do it or my weathy neighbors do
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE