Slug Gun Question-UPDATE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spike

Re: Slug Gun Question

Post by spike »

[quote][/quote]

I agree with Boo. The savage is a good gun. I have a 20 gauge which is plenty for deer and bear. 12g will give an exttra bang with a lot extra push back.

Spike
ROGER
artifact

Post by artifact »

I have a browning 12 ga. A-bolt slug gun that is extremely accurate at 100 yds. with lightfield slugs. The one I have has the 5" screw in rifled choke tube, not the fully rifled barrel. To me, that gun is pretty well the same as carrying a bolt action rifle as for weight, feel, etc. My buddy had the 12 ga. H&R single shot "slugster", which I believe is a 10 ga. barrel with a 12 ga. bore, good accuracy but HEAVY, he switched over to the Browning A-bolt for the lighter weight gun that's extremely accurate.
Here it also depends on your pocket book, those A-bolts weren't cheap.
I would definitely look at the Savage 220 that the guys are mentioning, from what I read about them they are supposed to be very accurate, and if I were to buy a new slug gun, it would be a 20 ga. also.
Another thing to consider, dedicated slug gun or not, you would be surprised at the accuracy that just a rifled choke tube can provide. By having the option of the choke tubes, the gun can be used for a variety of hunting.
Another thing to consider, interchangeable barrels, 1 fully rifled barrel, and 1 smoothbore with choke tubes, again for multipurpose use.
Just some ideas, for now my Browning isn't going nowhere!
brookky

Post by brookky »

Savage 220 20 gauge best slug gun I know of. 3 shots at 125 same hole.
Matrix black 380
Matrix 405
Micro camo 335
Micro black project
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Good morning Paul,where i live it is shot gun only. Most people shoot the 870 Rem. I have one that has 3 barrels one is for field (birds) one is for slugs and one has a rifled barrel for sabot shells .it is a good gun ,you can use it for just about anything. do some reserch on them and take one for a ride I think you will like it .JMO
W.M.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have a 870 xpress mag fully rifled with cantilever and I love it only b/c it was my first. Had I had to do it over again I think I would look for a benelli M2 semi. I had the pleasure of shooting one last week and it shouldered well, cycled good and was light!! I shot 5 different makes of shot guns that time and that is the one that stood out. pretty sure that was the model of it, it had a smooth bore on it at the time but a Co. such as benelli im sure has a rifled bore as well

edit m2 is semi, supernova is the pump iirc
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Benelli Super Black Eagle (auto loader) is very accurate as the receiver and barrel are one piece which greatly improves accuracy. Most pump and auto loaders have barrel that attaches to receiver which allows for play which erases accuracy. I know guys that have welded the 870 slug barrel to receiver to improve accuracy. But let's be honest, if you are not restricted by law to use shotgun why Go there? You want to fling a big hunk of lead - get yourself a 45/70 lever action.
galamb

Post by galamb »

I will post a slightly different answer, and disclose that I sell guns/ammo/hunting supplies - but won't plug any one brand/store etc.

There are two very different types of "slugs".

There are "Foster" style slugs, usually called "rifled slugs" which are meant to be shot from a "smooth" barrel.

Then there is Sabot slugs (which is a rifle or pistol bullet in a "sabot" (sleeve, case?) inside of the shotgun shell that is meant to be fired from a "fully rifled" barrel (there is rifled choke tubes but they do a poor job of stabilizing a sabot and have really become a "tried but didn't work well" option)

You mention that in BC you can only hunt bears with slugs so that leaves you with a couple more options/choices to make.

Do you want a shotgun that you could use for "other game" (birds, bunnies etc) "at home"? If the answer is no, then go for a gun with a "rifled" barrel.

If the answer is yes then you have "two" new options -

Option 1 - buy a smooth bore and simply use "rifled slugs". They are not as accurate as a sabot/rifled barrel at "distance", but at 50-100 yards an ounce of lead (or better) hits like a freight train.

Option 2 - buy one of the "combination" shotguns. There are a number of 2 barrel (usually marketed as "duck and deer" where you get a smooth 28" Vented Rib (bird) barrel and a fully rifled (normally 24") "deer" barrel with either sights or a cantilever for mounting a scope - Remington, Mossberg, Winchester and Weatherby are four mfg's that come immediately to mind that market combo's (and I'm sure there are a few more out there).

There is also some 3 barrel combo's out there that include a third barrel which is (usually) a 22 or 24 inch "Turkey" barrel - so smooth (but shorter than the duck barrel), often with fiber optic sights and an extended Turkey choke.

So my point is you have options depending on "what" you want to use the gun for or what you "think" you may want to use it for in the future..
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

Another thought is Ithaca has a great 20 get deer slayer pump. I had the pleasure of shooting one step range day and fell in love clover lead at 100 yards ..
addicted to canadian beaver
janesy

Post by janesy »

I shot a deer last fall with my 870 smooth bore with a Winchester 1 oz slug. But that gun is an exception. It's an older express that I have invested a pile of money into it and it shoots like a dream. But now you'd have to give me an express for free, as I wouldn't justify the work to make them great again.

However, an older 870 ringmaster blued with a rifled barrel is the cats ass. Smooth as glass, versatile and fast. But limited in accuracy .

On the other side of the coin, the savage 220f is awesome . Hands down the most accurate slugger today. But slower, unless you practice a lot. And honestly the stock leaves a lot to be desired.

I now have an 1187 with a 24" Hastings rifled barrels that is showing a lot of potential. After rebuilding it from the inside out, and having it ceracoated. Just need to play the ammo game now.

Long story short. Wingmaster with a rifled barrel.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

most important thing is underestanding that a slug gun is gonna kick you around and you have to put some time into figuring what your gun likes. you need a solid rest and a few boxes of different brand ammo.if your hunting bears over bait and shooting 100 yards or less i wouldnt be shy about using a smooth bore. just put a low power scope on it or red dot. try some tru ball federal slugs. they even come in a deep penetrator version.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

old browning a5 sweet 16 (16ga.) worked fine out to 80 yards for me on block island. a5 browning comes in 12 and 20 ga also plus there auto loaders so theres
not much kick. Remington rifled slugs make a big hole. now I use a tar - hunt rsg 12ga made by the guy that makes lightfield slugs. which don't kick bad as its ported and has a pretty straight stock. id say try a few shot guns see what feels right for you.
munch

Post by munch »

Paul I bought a savage 220 bolt action with acutrigger. Lots of guy say they are shooting deer at 200 yards . I'm shooting 3" group at 150 and I'm a piss poor shot . Not cheap I have $900 in the gun and $5 a round to shoot
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Personally I like the autoloader. I am shooting a smoothbore Remington 1187 with a synthetic stock. When I can get it from Dad I'll use his Belgian made auto 5, also a smoothbore. I had an 870 combo, wooden stock but sold it about 3 yrs ago. Gun would jam all the time and the finish on the stock was rubbing off after one season. I really like the durability of the synthetic stock, you can't hurt it!
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

I also like an auto loader and currently using a vintage Rem 1100.For deer I have a 21" smoothbore with fibre optic rifle sights.With good old $1.20ish a round Winchester Super X rifled slugs I'm confident out to 100 yds.If I wanted the extended range and accuracy of $4+ a round Sabot slug I would just buy a Savage 220 or Axis rifle.Instead of $2-300 on a rifled barrel.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
wapster

Post by wapster »

870's are rock solid, I love all 7 of mine !!