Hitting Thumb

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

reznek

Hitting Thumb

Post by reznek »

I've heard of many people hitting their thumbs with the crossbow string..Ouch .
My question is how much would this affect the flight of the bolt? I would think it could be quite substantial.
xcaliber

Re: Hitting Thumb

Post by xcaliber »

I don't recommend trying to perform a study on this. :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....there are a couple of different statistical, regression studies that have been done related to this...one where the thumb remains attached and one where the thumb leaves the rest of the hand....I hear it is a "bloody good" study! :shock: :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

I doubt I'd care where the arrow went haha!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The amount of affect on the arrows flight is directly proportional to the amount of your thumb / finger you have above the string ! :shock: :lol: :roll:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Farmer wrote:The amount of affect on the arrows flight is directly proportional to the amount of your thumb / finger you have above the string ! :shock: :lol: :roll:
Which is inversely proportional to the IQ of the person doing the study.
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:
Farmer wrote:The amount of affect on the arrows flight is directly proportional to the amount of your thumb / finger you have above the string ! :shock: :lol: :roll:
Which is inversely proportional to the IQ of the person doing the study.
or directly proportional to the amount of thumb left below the string?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
janesy

Post by janesy »

The more important question would be, what is the trajectory of the piece of thumb? I would go looking for it first.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I'd be willing to say the the profanity screamed would scare deer faster than arrow could arrive. :mrgreen:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hmmmm, you pose an interesting question.(EDIT: oops, I thought it was OneShotScott)...Species, was it you who performed a study on this subject a couple years ago? What do you think, did the increase of dermal matter on the string create significant enough resistance to increase frictional coefficients that it resulted in a decreased trajectory algorithm....changing P.O.I.. :mrgreen:

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

WHAT? :roll: :roll: :roll:
W.M.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Waiting for member Species to chime in.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Tom

Post by Tom »

reznek wrote:I've heard of many people hitting their thumbs with the crossbow string..Ouch .
My question is how much would this affect the flight of the bolt? I would think it could be quite substantial.
I believe you are talking about the area referred to as ........ THE TRIANGLE OF PAIN.

As farmer said it will refer to how much of a thumb or finger gets into that area and how ridged they are held. A slight glancing blow will only be effected slightly where as a more dirrect hit will be greatly effected.

Remember, most of the effect to the POI will be caused by the shooter's involuntary reaction (flinch) when struct by the string.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hunt it wrote:I'd be willing to say the the profanity screamed would scare deer faster than arrow could arrive. :mrgreen:
Wow, another great thought....but what do you think would scare the deer first; the expletives themselves, the volume of the expletives, or the wild flailing of limbs? :shock: :lol:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

paulaboutform wrote:Hmmmm, you pose an interesting question.(EDIT: oops, I thought it was OneShotScott)...Species, was it you who performed a study on this subject a couple years ago? What do you think, did the increase of dermal matter on the string create significant enough resistance to increase frictional coefficients that it resulted in a decreased trajectory algorithm....changing P.O.I.. :mrgreen:

Paul

Species had an injury far more severe (funny how severe is formed mostly from the word sever) than I. I only took off 1/4 of my nail, nail bed and surrounding tissue. It did not feel good and I only shot mine with an exomax. Species did his with a 405 I believe... :shock:

The darn nice buck I was aiming at the time was 25 yards away and my arrow hit where I aimed and pass-thru. I could see blood pouring out of him below mid of chest. money shot! My thumb was bleeding pretty bad as well. The deer came to the base of my tree and I kept quiet the whole time. it felt like 10 mins until he bed down 40 yards away. After dark I climbed down and went home to clean up. came back hour and a half later: Never found the buck. The neighbouring yard had heavy hunting pressure and I suspect I was relieved of my deer. insult to injury.

Be glad the new bows have the guard! I had my bow sideways in my lap and when the deer came in I rotated the bow and my thumb remained in the triangle of pain. If photobucket didn't suck I would include a picture
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-