Rail Oil question....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike in indiana

Rail Oil question....

Post by mike in indiana »

While the application of the Excal Rail Oil to the rails is pretty much a self explanitory thing, I was wondering if it should also be applied to the strings center serving as well, or is the contact with the oil on the rails from shot to shot enough to condition the serving with the oil as well? Also, is there a number of shots that Excalibur recommends re-applying the Rail Oil? Like every 5-10 shots etc?
8ptbuk

Re: Rail Oil question....

Post by 8ptbuk »

Most here don't use rail lube, A light waxing of the center serving is all that is required. An occasional use of silicone wiped on the rail to clean it works fine also .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

x2 :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
mike in indiana

String wax on the center serving? :? That seems like it would cause drag to me, and junk up the rails with wax?
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

mike in indiana wrote:String wax on the center serving? :? That seems like it would cause drag to me, and junk up the rails with wax?
Au contraire, bonjour. Rail lube attracts dirt that your serving will gather up. That dirty gunk will make its way into the trigger mech. Rail lube will also accelerate serving separation. As stated, a little wax on the serving is all that's needed. If you want a truly slick surface use Jig-a-loo silicone spray. It doesn't attract dirt.
mike in indiana wrote:While the application of the Excal Rail Oil to the rails is pretty much a self explanitory thing

Not so fast, Newbie! Welcome to the forum.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

racking up points wrote:
mike in indiana wrote:String wax on the center serving? :? That seems like it would cause drag to me, and junk up the rails with wax?
Au contraire, bonjour. Rail lube attracts dirt that your serving will gather up. That dirty gunk will make its way into the trigger mech. Rail lube will also accelerate serving separation. As stated, a little wax on the serving is all that's needed. If you want a truly slick surface use Jig-a-loo silicone spray. It doesn't attract dirt.
mike in indiana wrote:While the application of the Excal Rail Oil to the rails is pretty much a self explanitory thing

Not so fast, Newbie! Welcome to the forum.

using to much oily type rail lube can actually cause reduced serving life.
x2 on using jigaloo. i have used this spray for many years as a rail lube/rail cleaner. spay on rag then wipe rail
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
mike in indiana

Ok, thanks fellas will do!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I use a dry lube called ArchOil 2400 on my rail. Very slick and completely dry. And FWIW, this stuff is super slick. I use it on all my pistol mags too. Makes them go in and out easily. Anyway, when I first got it I did a little test. I shot my bow through the chrony with a dry rail and then added the Archoil and re-shot through the chrony. And I saw an improvement of 0 FPS!!

To me, all those "rail lube" products are just marketing stuff. I use the product I use because it keeps my rail clean and debris free - which is what you want because as Derrick said above, all that debris just ends up in the trigger mech.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

I've got a 20+ year old Exomag I've had since new. Bought it from Bill T. Was told string wax on the serving and WD40 through the rail on the trigger mechanism. POI never changes year to year and has taken many a deer. In all these years only had 1 trigger issue that Excal. repaired free of charge and even paid return shipping :wink:
Dave
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mike in indiana

Makes sense now that I think about it, I do appreciate the guidance. From now.on I will ask questions before i order, maybe it will save me.some money.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

mike in indiana wrote:Makes sense now that I think about it, I do appreciate the guidance. From now.on I will ask questions before i order, maybe it will save me.some money.
No....no it won't. We haven't even begun to tell you about all the stuff you really NEED!!!!!! :mrgreen:

We are great at spending other people's $$
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
mike in indiana

nchunterkw wrote:
mike in indiana wrote:Makes sense now that I think about it, I do appreciate the guidance. From now.on I will ask questions before i order, maybe it will save me.some money.
No....no it won't. We haven't even begun to tell you about all the stuff you really NEED!!!!!! :mrgreen:

We are great at spending other people's $$
I guess its a good thing Im single then LOL
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Not fan of WD-40 ..its not great protectant but it does remove moisture.We swear by it to clean your muzzleloader barrel after using any water but not to store the barrel ...BUT if you have seal or gasket anywhere it will eat it right up..

best that most use is BREAKFREE CLP ..Wal-mart carries it now too.shotgun experts swear by it and it did well it the rust test ..wd -40 failed the rust test bigtime...

This is not for rail I just offered what most use as cleaner/lube/protectant like for trigger etc..
mike in indiana

Sproul, I use Ballistol exclusively for all lubricaction, I've not found anything better. Discovered it during my blackpowder days and never used anything else.