UNCOCKING THESE BEASTS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

STEELWORKER

UNCOCKING THESE BEASTS

Post by STEELWORKER »

i tried it the other day with my EXOMAG and i can GUARANTEE i'll never do it again. I'm no wimp but this sucker put the fear of god in me a.s.a.p. i might be overreacting a bit but i'm gonna buy me a set of those rubber bludgeon tips(say that 5 times) :lol: for at the end of a hunt. i watched Bill T uncock the bow on the video several times but don't think i'll even attempt this maneuver again. If anyone has the same issues, or know of an easier way im all ears.-------STEEL
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

It's easy; shoot an arrow in the ground!

That way you save your hands and your xbow.

Oneshot......
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
kev

Post by kev »

yep. I shoot an old arrow to decock.
confederate

Post by confederate »

I cant get up the nerve to try it yet. Whats bad is, I saw Kathy T. do it on a video. She made it look like there was nothing to it.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

It is really not that hard. It is alot easier than trying to cock the bow, just make sure you have a firm grip on the string and your foot securely in the stirrup. Just give it a try.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
johnbuck9

uncocking

Post by johnbuck9 »

Yes but this greatly depends on what model you are uncocking, 175, 185, 150 I can see that but when you start playing around with the big boys, I would say shoot the arrow into the ground, what helps is carry a shoot off arrow and place a small washer in behind your field point this stops the arrow from going in too deep hitting roots or whatever and works great, make up a 2219 like this or a carbon express there tuff also,
also it helps uncocking if you are tall you can over power the bow with your reach and this makes it easier to a point, IMHO its not worth getting youself hurt, at least not with a mag, or max,, well have a great season, and keep your back and shoulders in one piece :lol:
striper

Post by striper »

Steelworker: I am so accident prone that when I cock my Exocet and tie it to my pull-up rope. I stretch a medium heavy rubber band around the stock of the bow and over the safety. This makes it a lot harder for the safety to be accidentally disengaged while pulling the bow up to the tree stand. Also, when I reach down to grasp the bow I ALWAYS grab it by the stock behind the safety lever. I also ALWAYS decock it by shooting a practice bolt into the ground. I have used the same bolt for an entire season without losing it. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Wear gloves, save skin. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ok you Guy's and Gal's [b]SAFTY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!![/b] Use a bolt into a target or ground..... Better to mess up a bolt then yer fingers. Mess up you fingers and Imageand it stings like lighting struck and a burning torch flamed your fingsr tips..... :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!

Re: UNCOCKING THESE BEASTS

Post by Guest »

STEELWORKER wrote:i tried it the other day with my EXOMAG and i can GUARANTEE i'll never do it again.
i watched Bill T uncock the bow on the video several times but don't think i'll even attempt this maneuver again. If anyone has the same issues, or know of an easier way im all ears.-------STEEL
STEELWORKER,

Why would Bill T mount a Dropzone scope on an ExoMAG?
Because he was mounting it on a Vixen. That is why he made cocking and uncocking it look easy. :wink:

I can't even lift the stringer off the pins on my ExoMAG. :oops: I still uncock the stringer by taking as much of the weight of the stringer as I can and letting it down as normal.

When I finally get around to shooting my MAG (bought it late April) I will be using a bolt to uncock it.

Cheers,
Wombat.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vladymere

Decocking arrow destroyed

Post by Vladymere »

I took my Exomag hunting for the first time last Saturday. Saw no deer.

When I got back to my truck I used a "crasher" arrow I got from Wayne just for this purpose when I purchased my bow from him to decock my bow by shooting it into the ground. I must have hit a rock in the ground. When I pulled the arrow out of the ground it was only 16" long instead of the original 20 and the aluminum shaft was flared out where it broke.

Guess I need to go buy a new "cheap" arrow cause I don't plan on trying to decock this bow by hand. Cocking and decoking the bastad string by hand on this beast takes everything I've got.

Vlad
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

This is a great topic and quite timely since a lot of you will be dusting off your bows for the upcoming season. We at Excalibur do recommend that shooting an old arrow into the ground is the safest method of uncocking your bow. At trade shows we always show how to uncock it by hand but yes, we prefer to use the Vixen. The Alabama show was a bear as everybody wanted to cock the Exomax and I did a ton of uncocking those guys. After 3 days my hands were getting a tad red!

The most important facet about uncocking the bow by hand is to MAKE SURE THERE IS NO ARROW LOADED!. This may sound obvious but it has been done. Just think what it would be like stuck out in the bush with an arrow through your foot :shock: !

Peter
boogap

Post by boogap »

A guy at a hunting show told me he had trouble pulling the trigger and holding a proper grip, so he holds the bowstring solid with both hands then pulls the trigger with a small peice of rope he rigged up, and pulls the trigger with his teeth.
hunting reak

Post by hunting reak »

I USE A COCKING AID TO UNCOCK IT. I HAVE AN EXOCET AND MY BUDDY HAS AN EXOMAX AND IT'S A PIECE OF CAKE. HOOK THE PULLEY HOOKS TO THE STRING AS YOU WOULD COCK IT ...ONE HAND UP ON THE HANDLES OF THE PULL ROPES...FOOT IN THE STIRRUP..PULL BACK THE HANDLES UNTIL YOU FORCE THE LIMBS AND PULL THE TRIGGER AND LET OFF SLOWLY...ALMOST THE SAME AS COCKING BUT IN REVERSE.REALLY YOU SHOULD TRY IT AND ALSO WHEN YOU WANT TO BE REASONABLY QUIET SO AS NOT TO GIVE AWAY YOU LOCATION TO EVERY BEAST IN THE WOODS :cry: .THIS WORKS BETTER FOR ME. JUST MY 2 CENTS. :D
hunting Freak

Post by hunting Freak »

I USE A COCKING AID TO UNCOCK IT. I HAVE AN EXOCET AND MY BUDDY HAS AN EXOMAX AND IT'S A PIECE OF CAKE. HOOK THE PULLEY HOOKS TO THE STRING AS YOU WOULD COCK IT ...ONE HAND UP ON THE HANDLES OF THE PULL ROPES...FOOT IN THE STIRRUP..PULL BACK THE HANDLES UNTIL YOU FORCE THE LIMBS AND PULL THE TRIGGER AND LET OFF SLOWLY...ALMOST THE SAME AS COCKING BUT IN REVERSE.REALLY YOU SHOULD TRY IT AND ALSO WHEN YOU WANT TO BE REASONABLY QUIET SO AS NOT TO GIVE AWAY YOU LOCATION TO EVERY BEAST IN THE WOODS :cry: .THIS WORKS BETTER FOR ME. JUST MY 2 CENTS. :D