GrizzTrick2, QAD EXODUS vs Toxic Review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

GrizzTrick2, QAD EXODUS vs Toxic Review

Post by paulaboutform »

Before heading out on my hog hunt I had to switch out bows at the last second and had to recheck my broadheads. For the past three years I've been using the toxic 100gr broadheads, 125gr last year. This year I wanted to try something different so in the batter's box I had the 125gr Grizztrick2, 125gr QAD Exodus, 125gr RamCats, and 125gr Toxics. I was surprised that only the RamCats and 100gr Toxics shot the exact same poi as my field points at 30yards. I zeroed with the grizztricks and the RamCats were 5 MOA left. The QAD Exodus were 5 MOA right and the 125gr Toxics were 10 MOA right. I didn't test the 100gr toxics further with this setup.
I ended up forgetting my 125gr Toxics at home. :oops: I thought I packed them but didn't. I also didn't get to shoot the RamCats. I had one in my Excalibur quiver and didn't push it in too far (so I thought). When I went to use it I noticed one of the blade tips was bent from contacting the quiver. This seemed pretty week to me and I wasn't impressed. I'd still like to try them though. The blade tip will be easily straightened.
The GrizzTrick2 is what I shot the 180lbs sow with. The shot was at 18-20yards and as expected the slick blew a slug size hole through her breaking a full rib on the near side and passing between ribs on the offside. The arrow skipped off the ground and burried into a treefall, 25 yards away, up to the blades. The blades were still sharp and there were no burrs or any visible sign of being shot. Slick Trick quality! However, the shot was PERFECT and this hog ran at least 90 yards with no blood to be found for the first 50-60yards. There was good blood after that.
The QAD Exodus was used on my little fifty pounder so it's not much of a test. Same close shot perfectly placed breaking two ribs in and one out. The arrow deflected off the ground and burried twelve feet up a tree. Thank goodness for that firenock and a tall friend like Norm who could just reach it. Anyway, the little pig only ran about 20 yards and the exodus was in great shape. There were two small burrs that will come out with a couple passes with a carbide broadhead sharpener. Rock solid. Norm said he saw good blood in that short distance.
I told Norm while we were there that I've been spoiled by the Toxics. In three years I've shot 1 deer and 12 hogs. The deer ran the furthest at about 60yards max. I think one pig made it 50yards and the rest were inside of 40yards. I'm fully confident that had I shot my sow with a Toxic she would've died closer than the blood trail started with my slick. Keep in mind the GrizzTrick2 has a 1 1/4" cut in a four blade broadhead yet still couldn't match the Toxic. I'm glad I tried something new but once again I'm right back to the Toxics. As great as these other broadheads are they just couldn't match up to the devastation caused by the coring out Toxics. I hate sounding like a commercial but the results are what they are. My Guide/Outfitter friend reiterated again that he's seen no other broadheads perform like this in thirty years and hundreds of clients.
Sidenote, the Vortex Viper XB-R scope was amazing. I could actually see pigs through my scope, in the dark, when I couldn't see them with my naked eye. You could shoot well beyond legal shooting light with this. The lowest illumination worked perfectly for shooting my little one in the dark with no hazing or washout.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
RexKay

Re: GrizzTrick2, QAD EXODUS vs Toxic Review

Post by RexKay »

Awesome reveiw Paul.
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Toxic's look good to me. There goes another 40 bucks...lol

Can you shoot them in to an 18-1 to test them without making a mess??
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Toxic's look good to me. There goes another 40 bucks...lol

Short answer, no! :lol: They will devour targets. However, I do shoot them into my rhinoblock and carefully replace the 'tubes' it cores out of the target. I'll shoot enough to get my marks and stop. It's not a broadhead you want to screw in and practice with all the time but for getting and checking marks you'll be fine. I would recommend the 100gr Toxics over the 125gr grain. Even though the cut diameter is smaller they out penetrate and I believe are more accurate at extended ranges. I've shot 1.5" spots at 65yards all day which to me is excellent. Also, with the lower poundage bows you want as much penetration as you can get. Let us know what you think if you pick some up Jeff. I think you'll be impressed with them going through a bear or deer.

Paul
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Thanks for the info. I see they have practice heads too.. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Concur with Paul that the Toxics are pure hell on targets!
He tossed a couple 125 grain heads my way to try (openly admitting it was an overt attempt to get me to try them!).
They proved Deadly Accurate alright, and my broadhead target shows it!! OUCH! :shock:

That said, they certainly leave an impressive wound channel - or should I say channelS!

Be headed out next week for late season archery on the mainland. Packing a set of those Toxics to try. Seems you hooked me Buddy! :wink:

Back-up of course will be my 125 grain Spitfires...

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Thanks for the info. I see they have practice heads too.. :)
I haven't tried the practice heads but don't trust them as they don't match the broadheads in geometry. I believe Anthony tried them a couple years ago and said they were poopy.
......Awesome Matt! :mrgreen: Good luck buddy, wish I was joinin ya! :wink:

Paul
SEW

Post by SEW »

Great review! Apparently, what makes the Toxics so great on game makes them hard on targets.

Post by newbie »

Great review Paul.
Mr Trouble also sent me a set of toxics to try out....they came with specific instructions for practice.
"Shoot only into Dons targets" :shock:
now i understand why :lol:
I will get around to trying them. If Paul speaks highly of something it says a lot for sure.
Thanks again paul.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Toxic's look good to me. There goes another 40 bucks...lol

40.00..... That's just 3! Yes you can shoot them at an 18-1..... They core a hole in them just like game!!! That do have practice points but have not tried them .
Geodehunter

Post by Geodehunter »

Thank you for this review Paul. I now know I will be shooting the 100gr Toxic's for next years deer season. Your review was the deciding factor that helped me to choose this broadhead. Merry Christmas.
In God I Trust!!!
Hunt hard & Hunt safe, Robbie
Square_hammer

Post by Square_hammer »

Awesome review Paul. I was given 3 100gn toxics and man they do fly like my field points. And yes they wreak havoc on my 18-1. I just picked up.some xecutioner hybrids from one of the forum members, thanks weiner, and I can't wait to try them out. So many broadheads that fly.good and so little room in the quiver. Lol. First world problems eh.
Matrix 330
Vortex diamondback 2-7
hha optimizer
8pntbuck string
16.5" zombies with 92gr insert
QAD exodus 125gn
G5 Striker 125gn