18 inch arrows effect on accuracy with a Phoenix ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

The Little Count

18 inch arrows effect on accuracy with a Phoenix ?

Post by The Little Count »

Greetings all.

I've got a Phoenix on the way and should have it before christmas :)
Very excited about that.

Now the thing is I mostly shoot target and wonder how 18 inch arrows will affect the accuracy at ranges beyond 40 yards up to 70, anybody tried this on older excal x bows ?

Got a few doz BEE and Zombies that I bought this summer that are in 18 inch, becouse I was actually going to order the Sapphire but got a great deal on a Phoenix not to long ago that I just now have jumped on.
Any thoughts or experience with this would be much apreciated.

Regards

TLC
8ptbuk

Re: 18 inch arrows effect on accuracy with a Phoenix ?

Post by 8ptbuk »

Only way to know for sure is to spend some time on the range , I shot 18" BEE out of my 200 EXOCET with broadheads this fall and at 40yds they shot great ! Any further and I honestly can't say .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I shoot 19 inch zombies 84 grain brass 125 tip out of my vixen and metal ibex (same platform as your bow) they shoot awsome ...in inch less isnt gonna change much. Thats a great bow might be a little long limbed but very dependable.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I think they'll shoot fine BUT, I encourage you to pick up some longer arrows. I've known people who have unloaded there bow with an arrow still on the rail that went right through their foot, boot and all. Personally, I cut my arrows long enough that it's in the way of your foot fitted into the stirrup making that blunder impossible to happen.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

My 18 arrows cover about three quarters of the stirrup that extra inch might make it possible to get a foot in if you use a long broadhead might be ok but a boltcuttter is gonna be short . Better to be safe .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
The Little Count

Post by The Little Count »

Thanks for the reply's ppl. Only way to know for sure is to get out and try it as 8pt said. Was a bit worried that 18 inch wouldnt work good at all but hearing that Longbow Joe shoot 19 for ex without trouble makes me feel much better about trying it.

Good Point about the safety there Paul, I will get some longer ones later on but for now I will try out the ones I have and see how they fare. Also have some aluminium Arrows in 20 so no panic but prefer the carbon ones for competions. Aluminium is great too but not so accurate on longer didtances for me (with the xbow I've been using so far).

So excited about the Phoenix though, feel like a Little kid waiting to open a christmas gift :P

Regards

TLC
hillHuntR

Post by hillHuntR »

I shot 18" in my axiom this year because i ordered the wrong length BEE's. Out to 40 yards they shot identical groups to 20" arrows. I am going to stick with 18" now and share with my new matrix
Axiom SMF
Redfield Revenge
2219's n' Slick Trick Std 125's

Exomax
Hawke 1" 1-5 SR
BEE's n' Slick Trick Std 125's
wabi

Post by wabi »

All I've ever shot from my Phoenix is 18" arrows. Started with 2215s and went to 2216s when the 2215s were used up. As far as I shoot is 35 yards, though. No problems with accuracy!

Interesting how a few years ago all the advice was to shoot long arrows (20-24") to get optimum accuracy. Now that the Matrix & Micro models are the trend the short arrows seem to shoot just fine. :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi