ALWAYS Check Your Broadheads for POI

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

ALWAYS Check Your Broadheads for POI

Post by paulaboutform »

I know most of us already know and practice this. However, for the sake of visitors and new to archery/crossbow shooters here you go.
NEVER trust any broadhead manufacturers claims of field point accuracy regarding broadheads. There are many broadheads that will shoot groups equally as tight as field points BUT the point of impact is often different than that of field points. There are also some broadheads, usually mechanicals, that will shoot the same poi as field points but not all. Basically, anything you're shooting at an animal needs to be tested. Do NOT use practice heads that some broadheads have available, you need to sacrifice an ACTUAL broadhead and get your zero with that. I know they're expensive but you don't have any other choice if you place any value on your quarry. We owe the animals we hunt that respect.
I just had a friend call me last night asking what weight broadheads he should shootand what I tthought of 125gr QAD Exodus Broadheads. I told him they're awesome and he needs to verify zero with them and explained why. He was dismayed. He was planning on driving five hours Saturday morning (around midnight Friday) to crossbow hunt Saturday and Sunday morning. I asked why he would go through all that effort, time and expense and not really know where his arrow is going to hit? This makes no sense to me. At the very least, get a broadhead target you can use for years to come. So, that's my motivation for this thread. Don't stick your head in the sand pulling a hail Mary hoping your arrow will hit the mark. Do the right thing and test your exact equipment as you plan to use it, it's your responsibility. Please share your thoughts and experience with this, it may be saving an animal from a slow and horrible death from a poor shot.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
otisbrazwell

Re: ALWAYS Check Your Broadheads for POI

Post by otisbrazwell »

Very good paul !!
Eck

Post by Eck »

Well stated. When shooting at an animal, you owe it to them to be 100% sure of your zero, and your ability to make a humane, killing shot. If you aren't 100%, you shouldn't be pulling the trigger.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X4!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

X5 . well said Paul.
W.M.

Post by newbie »

Amazing how many gusy i used to hunt with nevwr did this.
common sense to me.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Here's how I look at it. I have spent a lot of money on hunting gear not to mention gas to get to my areas. In addition my down river area requires a 25 minute boat ride one way and camping in the boat. I'm not going to sit out in a cold Ground Blind or up in an open Tree Stand for hours not knowing if my broadheads are shooting POI or not. I can't even imagine missing a buck of a lifetime due to inaccuracy of my broadheads. That's just me!!
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35