Advise Please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Newbi

Advise Please

Post by Newbi »

For all you southern guys who may have more experience than me. What can I do to stop the plague of chiggers in this early part of the season, without spooking deer from the smell of insect repellent? I was out scouting the other day. Our weather is still very warm-- mid 80's and the chiggers are still a problem. I came home all et up!! :shock: and then some. Anything that can be done short of DEET, which I know works? A good cold spell will stop it, but with opening day just around the corner, I need help.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
A.W

Post by A.W »

A question from a northern guy. What's chiggers? :shock: :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
wabi.

Post by wabi. »

check out http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=6402
don't have any personal experience as most critters don't bite my tough old hide and drink my caffine & nicoteen enriched blood, but it sounds good
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Chiggers are miniscule blood sucking mites that burrow into your skin and cause intense itching and misery. They tend to congregate in areas where your clothing is tight or where you perspire more, like the elastic in your socks, backs of your knees and waist band, not to mention the unmentionable areas. :oops: Before they burrow in, you can't see them, and you can't feel them crawling around on you. The itching lasts for a few days after they burrow in and can become infected if you scratch too much. One of the drawbacks to living in a warm climate. They are anywhere that there is vegitation, even your lawns if you don't treat it. They appear in the Spring go away after the first cold weather.
Last edited by Newbi on Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Why didn't you just call them politicians then I would have understood. :lol: :lol: :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

They are in the same Family, different sub species :D :D
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Wabi,
The biggest problem with chiggers is that they walk right through the mesh on bug suits. They are smaller than NO-SEEUMS. You actually can not see them unless you get a magnifying glass out and look carefully for them. I can't understand how something that small can make you so uncomforable.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Here is the answer you been lookin for my forum friend...

http://www.rynoskin.com/test.htm

made just for you and It will stop those chiggers...... :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Use any spray that contains permethrin. Thoroughly spray your hunting clothes and let it dry before wearing. Lasts about 5 days and is the only thing I've found that stops chiggers & ticks. I use Repel (permanone) from Walmart.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

What brayhaven said...

We've got something worse than chiggers..

SEEDTICKS..

Pound for pound they are the meanest SOBs that every walked the planet Earth.

I will not go into the woods without permanone on until after two HARD frosts.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hoss i use that rynoskin..... good stuff , it even keeps the ticks and skeeters off too.

Mark
Exomag ,Exocet,Micro 335
Scorpyd Ventilator
Gold tip laser bolts, Zombie Slayers,Spynal Tapp
Slick Trick, Rage, Magnus bullhead
Danny Miller Strings
Shoot a big one, Let the grunts walk
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I use it myself Mark and your right ..beats those sprays and chemicals..

Woody you need some RYNOSKIN my friend..we have seed ticks down these ways likewise and they are so small you cant hardly see em...

I was out driven around the other day,,,,found a nice lookin spot I wanted to scout..only had shorts on but thought what the hell....well I was right WHAT THE HELL...I had seed ticks all over me....I juiced up the hot tub with chlorine shock so strong it about choked me to death...got rid of em but man it was a pain....I wont go without my rynoskin again..went today scoutin and didnt have a one on me..so...that tells the story there..

http://www.rynoskin.com/test.htm
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!

Post by Guest »

You Southern and MidWest gents can have your mild winters and hot summers with all the critters and snakes that live there. :lol:
I'll take the occasional -30 F winter nights in order to escape those plagues of biting insects.
Not that we don't have some nasty ones here though: No-Seeums, black flys, skeeters, stable flys, deer flys, horse flys, and moose flys.
By the time Oct. rolls around, there's just a few skeeters to contend with, not many though.
We should have a hard frost pretty soon.
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Thanks for all the info guys. I think that I will try the spray for the moment, and look at getting some of the rynoskins as soon as I can. Praying for a little cool weather. It won't be too far off.

Post by Guest »