Ape Arrow Tails

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Ape Arrow Tails

Post by BryanOney »

Has anyone tried the Ape arrow tails on crossbow bolts. They look like a good idea and come with a glowing nock. Can anyone tell me what they thought of them when they used them. Thanks
L. E. Carroll

_

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I picked up some second hand awhile back made from BEE's with an over all length of 15".
The ape tails themselves are quite heavy and require a heavy brass insert ( these had 110 grain ) + broadhead to get decent FOC.... They come in right at 500 gn if I remember right ? But I can't confirm as the arrows and my scale are in the motorhome...... The bottom line is I would not spend money on them again. :roll:

Hope that helped in your decision a bit. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
L. E. Carroll

Re: Ape Arrow Tails

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Well I dug out some 14 5/8" OA length BEE's set up with Ape Tails which I picked up thru classifieds in one of the x-bow forums....
Total weight with 110 grn brass inserts is 362 grains as the Ape Tails complete with vanes and " ready to go " built in Ignitors weigh 142.4 grains just by them selves.
Add in a min of 125 grains to get even a bit of FOC and your up too 487 gn and they come in at 512 gn with a head weighing 150 grains.

IMO these Ape Tails are too heavy overall and designed to work better on much longer arrows while being used with Verticle bows where FOC may no be as important . I bought these with the intention of perhaps using them with my Micro 335, but honestly feel they are on the "Heavy Side" for that application

Just my $.02 with a few #'s thrown in to help in your decision.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
BryanOney

Re: Ape Arrow Tails

Post by BryanOney »

Thanks for the information