hunting in high winds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

hunting in high winds

Post by xbowrook »

normally i wouldn't hunt in winds more than 30 km/hr, and tomorrow is going to be 30 km/hr but some gusts up to 50 km/hr.. i don't anticipate much deer movement but seeing how it's the last day of the season, me and a buddy are going to head out for the morning... i have heard people say they've killed deer in high winds and seen lots of video's of them doing so, but wondered how many people in this area , meaning Ontario, have much luck in the wind?? just curious...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
vixenmaster

Re: hunting in high winds

Post by vixenmaster »

Location ! If'en you live n hunt an area that has those winds alot, the deer will move in it. Here high winds means a weather front is movin in & they lay low n wait it out
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

vixenmaster wrote:Location ! If'en you live n hunt an area that has those winds alot, the deer will move in it. Here high winds means a weather front is movin in & they lay low n wait it out

yeah, i have hunted in poor conditions and noticed they don't move as much.. but, that being said, we have a creek / ditch that runs through the property , and it runs into the neighbors where it goes from creek / ditch to a big ravine... i am hoping to catch something moving through the bush over to that ravine... again, hoping...lol.. we have had quite a bit of high winds lately so i figured that they won't stay bedded forever, just hoping we will see something move....lol.. it just sucks because i check the weather network 2 days ago, and it was calling for 10 km/hr winds, and now we are getting much higher.. thanks for the input, hope to see something..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

oh, and to add, we are going to be in the back part of the bush, deep in the brush.. there is a lot of brush piles and thick stuff, so hopefully that helps...lol
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

Get down deep in the gully as close to the bedding areas as you can.try to have the other guy cover the escape route well you work down threw the bedding areas. Walk very slow with the wind in your face stop offten and look around next to blow downs brush piles or anything a deer can lay nest to to cut the wind.lots if time you will see a deer standing. Just stop and look around very carefully as most times there will be more
When it is windy you can get very close to them for a shot I'd you work very slow.nothing to loose on the last day of the season. Good luck.as far as catching one up and about out in the open on very windy days is slim but you never know.i would rather go in after them
addicted to canadian beaver
huntman

Post by huntman »

Take a look at the 10 pointer I shot this November. FYI it was 60km wind gusts
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

dutchhunter wrote:... When it is windy you can get very close to them for a shot I'd you work very slow.
...I would rather go in after them
High winds and / or a snow storm are a Still Hunter's Dream.
Love still hunting, and have killed likely just as many doing that as with stand hunting with the bow.

Super Slow, lots of stops & LOOKS, Eyes on Red Alert! :wink:

Best of Luck in the am!! :D

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Wolfkrieg

Post by Wolfkrieg »

Oddly enough, the biggest Mule Deer buck me and my brother have taken so far was in very windy conditions. Not exactly sure how many km/hour but the trees were swaying fairly well.

I spotted the buck bedded down in a clearing and staring out in front of himself casually. I couldn't believe my eyes as I figured that they wouldn't be out in the open like that in those conditions. The wind allowed my brother to stalk up within shooting range and make a killer neck shot with his .308. The bucks head dropped and it was lights out, perfect execution.

Wolf