Oct/Nov/Dec 2016 and now Jan 2017 !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Oct/Nov/Dec 2016 and now Jan 2017 !

Post by R.J. »

Been awhile since I’ve been on the net … busy time of year and mega problems with picture transfers thru Photobucket ?

Here are some pic’s thru October/November/December 2016 .

Forum member “Sandman” sent me a picture of his successful moose hunt > Nice Bull ...

Also , the handy man he is > did a good job on the European mount of his bull !

For a change of pace > Randy hunted with Dwayne and tried the rifle hunt further North of where we usually hunt , on a property that Dwayne owns and they score a couple nice bucks …

Randy’s son , Rob scored a buck in the WMU80 Controlled hunt …

With only a single tag this year in the WMU’s that I usually hunt > I first passed some doe / fawn / small bucks as the season progressed …

Then missed ( shot over ) a nice 8 point in October :shock:

Then only had one other opportunity on a mature buck into November when another nice 8 point walked past my blind > I bahhed him , but he stopped a few steps later in some slash cover at 35 yards and I wasn’t comfortable with the shot , so I passed .

Also had a few hunts spoiled by farm equipment passing at a bad time and one trespasser that messed up an opportunity on another buck … and that’s how my season progressed . Still fun to get outdoors though !

I never hunted the controlled hunt this year > with one tag only I was confident I would tag out with my Exocet 200 .

After a successful fall hunt , I still kept seeing turkeys while in a blind waiting for deer .Got some cool video as well but difficulties getting videos to post ?

Slow but sure , I kept at it and during one afternoon stand on a bright November day while hunting deer , I arrowed two coyotes 5 mins apart . I saw a doe and fawns spook thru the hardwoods > later I see three shadows quartering thru the cover > 1st yote ( a female ) stopped at 20 yards to scent mark > I whistled a 130 grain WASP Broadhead thru her > two sideways cart wheels and it ran back towards the farm spruce lane ….

Five minuets later a larger male came straight in and was sniffing the spot the other had been when I passed a 150 grain Bolt Cutter Broadhead thru him > He expired within sight of the tree … That is my 1st double coyote with an Excalibur crossbow ! … The third yote never did show up , although later I heard some locate yelps/barks .

Then slowly into December > the snow came > we usually welcome the snow , but this year it gave us some grief with access to a few properties due to deep snow although we did our best to keep the trails packed with our trucks , the drifts eventually won .

During Christmas Holidays , Chris H’s son Blaine scored his first deer ever with an Excalibur Vixen … A perfect 20 yard shot with a short recovery distance ! Perfect for his 1st deer !

Flu/Cold/ and other ailments hit the group over the Holidays ( Wylie was out ) and I was in rough shape from Dec 26th on with a nasty cold … I passed up about 4 hunting days to try and recuperate …. Then my wife encouraged me to get some fresh air , she got me mobile with some meds yesterday afternoon ( the last day of our season ) and I made it out to a ground blind ( fronted with some straw bales ) … originally I was just going to watch from the ridge till dark but I saw fresh deer tracks so I buttoned up in the blind and waited …

With about ½ hour of legal shooting light left , a doe walked in and gave me a challenging hard quartering away opportunity … My Exocet 200 was steady rested on a tripod , I eased my eye to the scope and I slapped the trigger to send a 150 grain bolt cutter down the rail … the Luminock looked like a laser line straight to her , then the last thing I saw was the red laser turn abrupt left and disappear ? ( Im shooting slightly up hill at the time ) .

The doe bolts up hill and into the field like this …

I cant see blood from the blind and I hear other deer busting bush behind me , so I sit and wait till after dark ( better safe then sorry ) … I text the guys … walk back to the truck and drive to the barn to get my tractor .
I drive to the back , walk down the hill and find my arrow … then drive the tractor into the field parallel to where the running tracks show a blood trail .

The previous wait was not necessary … As I approached the peak of the hill she ran up , I see she dropped dead in her tracks at the last spot I saw her from the blind . ( 20 yard shot / 80 yard recovery ) ( pass thru quartering away / entry behind right side rib cage / exit left side mid rib cage high ) … my night ends in the bush with a coyote yelping at me … at least I can say “ no tag soup for me “ !

Today is January 1st ( my Birthday ) > Frank V. stopped by and we took the deer to our butcher … Now we go into the new year with a fresh gut pile to entice the coyotes …

Congrat’s to all that hunted this year … thanks for sharing your stories on the forum … Happy New Year , and good luck with your field adventures into 2017 !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
IronNoggin

Re: Oct/Nov/Dec 2016 and now Jan 2017 !

Post by IronNoggin »

Certainly looks like a rather FUN Fall!!

And Happy Birthday btw!!

Great pictures and write-up! Thanks for Sharing!! :D

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Congrats on a great fall 2016,, Nice pics
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Happy Birthday and great write up and pics!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Thanks Rick for bringing us along on the adventures . :)
I was in the same boat as you . Spent from Christmas eve on down with that cold/flu . :?
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Thank you for the pictures and awesome stories!! Congrats on a successful season!!
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks for the pictures, and congratulations on your doe!
wabi
rayman

Post by rayman »

Great reading and pictures.

Questions:
What is scope on rifle on third picture, and what is rifle in fourth picture?
fratri

Post by fratri »

A very good read
Thanks for sharing
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Don't know about the scope but the rifle looks like a Mosin-Nagant...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Always love your posts and those great pics. Thanks
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Thanks for the pics RJ...enjoyed them as always.
Congrats on the coyote double and the last minute doe. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ...

The one rifle is a Mossberg 100 ATR with a 16 power scope ( I believe they were sold in that combo package )

And yes the other rifle is a Mosin Nagant .

Also as I posted on another thread it was a challenging season for sure as many experienced , I found the wildlife #'s to be way down ! ?

We really had to stretch to find deer on some properties ... many long days scouting and not seeing anything ?

I only saw one jack rabbit all season ?
Less deer than usual / Less cottontail / Even turkey flock #'s were down ( use to see 30 in a group now 10-15 ) .

Maybe my eyes are getting older , but that was the way it was for me this year ...I faced the old dilemma " pass early regret later " .

If I hadn't got lucky and tagged a doe on the last afternoon , I would have had tag soup this year > ( that would have been a first for me ) .

Overall reflection though .... it was still great to get out and just hunt !

Just goes to show ... not all successful hunts end in a kill !

Really looking forward to the Spring Turkey Season !

Thanks again guys and galls for sharing your hunt stories and pictures on the forum ... it helps fill in the slow and sick days ... and I always seem to pick up tips here and there from other hunters ... never too old to learn new tricks !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
JerseyJeff

Post by JerseyJeff »

We're only three days into 2017, and I'm casting my vote for "Post of the Year"! :D
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
Matrix 355
Axiom
NRA
UBNJ
DU
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Jeff wrote ...
We're only three days into 2017, and I'm casting my vote for "Post of the Year"! :D
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
LOL ! ... I didn't carry the camera as much as I use to this season but still manged to get a few picture/documented hunts ...

I also got a few videos with some cool turkey interactions but couldn't get them to post properly ? and when I did get them downloaded the quality was NG compared to the original ?

Anyway > Looking forward to some nice cool crisp winter coyote picture series if the dogs will cooperate and spring turkey season can't get here soon enough !