Deer Drives

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wsisk

Deer Drives

Post by wsisk »

What are your thoughts of people driving deer or other game to hunters that are more than likely shooting at running animals :?:
MIcro 335 GEN 2
Widow Maker/ Undertaker
Nchunterkw Strings
Vixenmaster Slave Stringer
Cabelas Laser Stricker 11 Broadheads
wildcatter

Re: Deer Drives

Post by wildcatter »

proly the same thing they think about me hiding in a tree waiting to kill em?
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

When we have done drives . It is more what we call a scent drive . Let the drivers scent drift into a spot but making next to no noise so the deer do not know exactly where the person is . So they slowly slink out .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Personally I don't like the idea of shooting at potentially running deer especially while there are guys on the ground. Just my opinion. If I was driving I would have to have complete confidence in the guys shooting. That said we have had guys "push" while others are on stand during the controlled hunt. Usually one guy slowly walks towards another hunter on stand. The idea is to walk slowly enough that deer will stay just ahead of the pusher.
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
TPM

Post by TPM »

Did that with a camp I was part of for almost ten years. We had 2000 acres of private land and the hunted one area at a time. Had about 15 guys in the camp and most hunts had 3 or 4 guys pushing with the dogs and the others were blockers. Every hunt was set up with safety in mind. None of the blockers were in anyone else's field of fire and you were alway aware of where the pushers were coming through. Yes, most shots were at running deer but that was a learned skill in itself.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

We attempted to do drives many years ago. Thankfully, we have not tried any for a long time. I'm not intending to ever be involved again.
The problem with our drives was that some of our drivers could not walk in a straight line and eventually would crisscross in front of each other. Another friend would end up tracking a deer if he saw tracks and would end up going in the other direction from the planned drive.
If it wasn't so dangerous it would have been comical.
Those were the days :roll:
tracer

Post by tracer »

Doe Master
I really like the scent drive method.
I think it would work well with my group.
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

We do a ton of winter archery drives many being in back of strip malls and construction sites etc. Being an archery drive its more of a slow "push" you just want to get em moving at a walk. This time of year the deer are usually bunched up really good the action can be really good. .....theres doe permits to fill and bolts to loose.....bring lots a them .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

When I first got into bow hunting, the last two weeks of the season were spent chasing whitetails in the snow using the scent drive method Doe Master outlined. With archery gear and a lot of hunters, (usually about a dozen), we filled a lot of tags. The doggers almost never saw deer and when the bush was really thick they'd leave their bows behind. Over time we learned where the deer would travel when pushed and found places where they would tend to mill around or stop after being bumped. Places like a ravine, hedgerow or a ditch were always the best. Nobody shot at running deer, hollering at them usually worked to stop them and when it didn't we would let them walk. Obviously this method works best when you have a lot of land to cover at multiple locations and you have enough hunters.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Pa you were raised on deer drives and is way we hunt a lot here..
got 31 bears in 1 week down from last year 39 bears DRIVING ...

all were during drives with crossbows etc ..3 bears cleaned were 475/450/425 last year we had 1 that was 585 cleaned ...

everyone drives some crews are 25 members we have big crew for friday of flintlock for Buck hunting ....

only area I worry is allowing AR rifles while driving etc..THAT IS NUTS ... :evil:
Last edited by sproulman on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

TPM wrote:Did that with a camp I was part of for almost ten years. We had 2000 acres of private land and the hunted one area at a time. Had about 15 guys in the camp and most hunts had 3 or 4 guys pushing with the dogs and the others were blockers. Every hunt was set up with safety in mind. None of the blockers were in anyone else's field of fire and you were alway aware of where the pushers were coming through. Yes, most shots were at running deer but that was a learned skill in itself.

NOW do that as you did with ethical crew like you have with 20 other hunters in your drive trying to shoot a deer/bear off you with AR rifles going off..

Privateland you can control BUT publicland you cannot and reason we do not want AR rifles going off at running bear and they will.

I counted 41 shots at mother and cubs in 1 drive ,41 shots unreal.. :evil:
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

We do deer drives ever year.with shotguns. I enjoy the action and the fun you have with a great group of people. I sure find out how many deer are around when you have guts in the woods getting them up and moving.o know guys that site all season and see very few deer.we go into the same block on a Monday put 6 deer out and kill one go back on Wednesday and put 9 deer out if the same bushes..it us a lot of fun and a lot of deer slip by .but you sure get a good idea if how many deer are around.
addicted to canadian beaver
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Shooting at running deer is a skill I have never mastered or even attempted. But back in Arkansas we performed drives all of the time. Our goal in a drive is just to make the deer move, not blaze a trail. It can be warm during the gun season there sometimes and we all know what deer do on warm days. They bed down. Sometimes drives are about the only way to get them on their feet during daylight hours. When your season is only a week or so, every day matters so you do whatever it takes to create an opportunity.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

The group of guys that I hunt with we do Deer drives the last few weeks of the season. We do it all with Archery gear. The pushers push very slow and when the deer get to us they are walking 80% of the time and we are in trees. There has been occasion when we have guys on the ground and this also works really good too. Over the years our drives have had up to 8 guys and we have done them with one pusher and one shooter with good results. It's fun and we all get together for this.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

It's legal and has been done successfully for many years so I'm good with it. That being said I have never had the opportunity to participate in a deer drive. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads