Leupold LTO Pictures

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Leupold LTO Pictures

Post by SEW »

Fawn @ 48 yds, feeding. 6x White-hot setting. More pictures to follow later. Have to leave the house suddenly.

2 squirrels coming in on the right. 48 yds. "Black" setting. 1x.

Fawn coming in at appx 55-56 yds. 1x. "White-hot" setting.

Same setting as first (fawn feeding @ 48 yds) , I think 5x "black setting".

I expect many on this board are aware of the recent introduction of the Leupold LTO. I have one, obviously, and it meets my expectations. Primarily, it will be used to get into my stands and blinds w/o detection and to find or help recover game. I've needed that help this year, unfortunately.
I could easily detect a bull standing behind an almost solid wooden gate @ 420 yds. Easily! I have no doubt of its 600 yd range, in the open. It helps exit the woods as the air cools as the trees show up. More later.
Boo

Re: Leupold LTO Pictures

Post by Boo »

Steve, I hope it's ok to post these for comparison.
I haven't had a chance to capture any images from a big distance with my Seek Reveal XR.
All images were taken in pitch black. There are no street lights or homes close by.
The stated range of this unit is 900 ft.
Below is a picture looking down my driveway which is 100 yards long.

Next is a car about 50 yds away

This is my barn 40 yds way.

A dog about 20 yds away.

I like what this does. It has a bright flashlight that will aid in game recovery. It produces a fair amount of light from the screen which screws up your eye's night/low light vision.

http://www.thermal.com/products/revealxr/
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Seek Thermals aren't a bad price for around $300.00,, I wonder how the seek thermal that works off a smart phone pics are ??
Boo

Post by Boo »

rein1 wrote:Seek Thermals aren't a bad price for around $300.00,, I wonder how the seek thermal that works off a smart phone pics are ??
Apparently, battery life is an issue.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Don,
It's absolutely ok! This is much more your forum than mine: you've given so much to Excalibur, to others in the name of Excalibur, to me by helping my learning curve, etc.. Yes, it's ok.
When I saw your pictures, I thought they were so much better than the LTO. However, I hadn't really used the LTO in the dark and the really cold. So, tonight after 9PM, I went out and looked at my vehicles in the driveway, my house, trees, etc. Of course, the greater the temperature differential, the crisper the picture. It's 21F and its dark. The display on my LTO was very crisp: buildings, vehicles, trees, etc...... The LTO easily equaled the pictures of your device, but I expect your device's display was better than your pictures show. Same as the pictures I took of the LTO's display.
The FLIR offers a lot for the much cheaper price than the Leupold. Overall, the Leupold may be slightly better: the display, in certain modes is not blinding at all.
More later. Obviously, the Leupold is not the only game in town and maybe not the most cost effective.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Steve, you're not wrong very often, but this time you are. This forum is as much your and everyone else as it is mine. You bring intelligent, intelligible, reflections every time you post. Do not underestimate your presence mister!
SEW

Post by SEW »

Thank you Don, we'll just need to agree to disagree.
I took some pictures last night as mentioned. These pictures do not reflect the clarity of the LTO's display.

This is a picture of my shed and house. It's on some level of magnification I think (2 or 3). The shed is at least 80-90yds away. It was pitch black outside. I could go thru the woods at night with the LTO with no light.

This is a picture of my SUV and crew cab truck from 70 yds. The vehicles hadn't been driven in 3 hours; yet, notice the heat signatures. Once again, the actual display was much crisper than shown in these disappointing pictures.

Front of my house from about 60 yards, - it is on some level of magnification. Originally, I thought the magnification levels were 1.5,2,3,4,5 and 6; but, last night as I changed magnification, it went in single 10ths, i.e., 2.1, 2.2 etc.

Once again, it's more effective, the lower the light available, and especially as the air temperature is dropping while the solid objects are retaining some of their heat. It's usage should be optimized late in the day and evening when game blood trails (use "white-hot" setting) and the actual game are being sought.
These things are game changers, IMO .
Boo

Post by Boo »

The Leupold is looking good Steve!
Does it have an SD card slot to capture images?
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

So your saying that it will pick up a downed deer in brush as well as in the open. I hunt thick swamps and any deer that I am trying to find is going to be in thick stuff so just wanted to really be sure on that point. Let me know. Thanks Don and Steve.
Boo

Post by Boo »

agingcrossbower wrote:So your saying that it will pick up a downed deer in brush as well as in the open. I hunt thick swamps and any deer that I am trying to find is going to be in thick stuff so just wanted to really be sure on that point. Let me know. Thanks Don.
This is an assumprion but I think as long as the some part of the body is exposed. A sheet of paper in front of the unit will completely impede the units ability to see anything at any temperature.
I'll get Karin to lay in the snow in the brush and see if the unit picks her up. I'll tell her you asked that she do this :mrgreen:
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Oh, that is swell Don. I already sense the results. :lol: :lol: :lol:
SEW

Post by SEW »

My deer blind has full cloth(canvas) window closures plus another, separate mesh layer. Is sees thru the mesh layer w/o difficulty. Yes it looks thru brush well as I could see deer coming in thru heavy brush. It will not look thru trees. Of course dense brush and thickets impair the performance,; but this is where these units really come into play: looking into grown up areas, especially at night. Heat still reflects thru. The "white-hot" setting is like a magnet for detecting any elevated temperature. Having gone this long w/o one of these types of devices make me feel, "late to the party"!
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Just an FYI for you guys. There is a review of a thermal unit for a cell phone on CT and the person doing the review was using a plastic jug filled with hot water to simulate an animal/heat source. That should work great to simulate a downed deer laying in the woods. Thanks for the feedback on these units, lots of good information!
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
SEW

Post by SEW »

No SD card slot
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

FYI ....there is a couple videos posted just recently on you tube of this being used in the field by hunters and it is pretty impressive imo
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife