Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

OT but very interesting

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Re: OT but very interesting

Post by paulaboutform »

Hmmm, so if I read correctly, the biodiversity is having a dangerous detrimental affect on the indigenous species. The non indigenous species appear harmless but are threatening extinction of many indigenous species. This sounds very familiar and is indeed interesting...... :?: now I remember, this is exactly what Justin Trudeau is doing to us presently with his refugee and immigration policies! :mrgreen:
sorry buddy, I couldn't help myself....I was actually very surprised by the article.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

paulaboutform wrote:Hmmm, so if I read correctly, the biodiversity is having a dangerous detrimental affect on the indigenous species. The non indigenous species appear harmless but are threatening extinction of many indigenous species. This sounds very familiar and is indeed interesting...... :?: now I remember, this is exactly what Justin Trudeau is doing to us presently with his refugee and immigration policies! :mrgreen:
sorry buddy, I couldn't help myself....I was actually very surprised by the article.

Paul
LOL!
The article is basically saying that domesticated cats are much more efficient predators than the predators that our native species evolved with. I've been told this many times in the past but I'm surprised to read the numbers.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The wife's cat is an indoor cat. Good thing because she is the psycho kitty from hell and would do some major killing if she had the chance!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

Interesting article, in a perfect world where everybody spays and neuters their pets and keeps them indoors it may make a difference. Now my parents are in a situation that relates to this exactly, they live on a rural road up in the kawarthas that has 6 houses on it. 3 years back a young family moved in across the street and have cats that they leave lose to roam free, the cats aren't fixed and they have been reproducing like crazy. My dad has found dead kittens in our shed on a couple of occasions. Their is noticeably less song birds around. Problem is that these people aren't reasonable, they are the type of people that had their dog taken away by the humane society for neglect and just went out right after and bought a new puppy.

I'm sorry to ramble on but the problem is that I love pets and don't want to hurt their cats (they'd just replace it anyways) but what is a person to do in a situation like this?
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

House cats are extremely dangerous for birds and small animals all over Ontario. Just drive down any gravel road at night and you can see the. Hunting alone the ditches. When I set traps for coon with any meat type bait I get slugs the cats first so anytime is am near houses I use sweet bait instead of meat baits.all small game lic should come with a stipulations that you must shoot all faral cats found in the bush
Thy just don't belong in the wilds in Ontario
addicted to canadian beaver
SEW

Post by SEW »

Haven't read it yet but couldn't but help think of European immigration policies. And Canada and the Obama/Clinton agenda.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Minnow wrote:Interesting article, in a perfect world where everybody spays and neuters their pets and keeps them indoors it may make a difference. Now my parents are in a situation that relates to this exactly, they live on a rural road up in the kawarthas that has 6 houses on it. 3 years back a young family moved in across the street and have cats that they leave lose to roam free, the cats aren't fixed and they have been reproducing like crazy. My dad has found dead kittens in our shed on a couple of occasions. Their is noticeably less song birds around. Problem is that these people aren't reasonable, they are the type of people that had their dog taken away by the humane society for neglect and just went out right after and bought a new puppy.

I'm sorry to ramble on but the problem is that I love pets and don't want to hurt their cats (they'd just replace it anyways) but what is a person to do in a situation like this?
Gamo anyone :?: :mrgreen:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

papabear1 wrote:

Gamo? Air rifle? I've debated it.... But they'll just get more cats
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
rayman

Post by rayman »

One of our dogs gets lucky and kills a squirrel in the yard occasionally. I should register them as non-native predatory mammals. :) Actually they are getting old and its been quite a while since they have taken a squirrel.

Good article. My wife majored in wildlife ecology and she hates cats for this exact reason. It used to seem like feral cats were all over Florida and you would see them everywhere. Maybe the coyotes keep them thinned out now.

Florida has tons of invasive exotics. Invasive plants are everywhere. Cogongrass, Japanese climbing fern, tallow, mimosa, air potato vine, kudzu, just to name a few, which are very difficult to control. Can't stay up late any more, but used to gig and bow-fish at night and would see a lot of fish that are not native and look like overgrown aquarium fish, which is what they are. New non-native forest pests and diseases turn up occasionally, the latest of which is killing the red bay in my area wholesale.

We've only had a couple of cats show up in the last 14 years. Their stay tends to be short as the dogs have a way of making them feel unwelcome.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Minnow wrote:
papabear1 wrote:

....so get more pellets!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

j.krug wrote:
Minnow wrote:
papabear1 wrote:

If you are lucky they will!! :lol:

....so get more pellets!! :lol:
My thoughts exactly Paul!
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Cats in Montreal now have to be registered just like dogs, and must stay on your property. Not sure how they are going to be able to enforce that, but the poor cats now have to eat birds at home, and cannot go out to eat.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Eagles kill our cats here..Only place there is cats is in towns..