excalibur scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Re: excalibur scopes

Post by flightattendant100 »

Goose52 wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote:
onequillkid wrote:My son and daughter have both shot there 1st deer with excaliburs and factory scopes. So that makes a total of 17 deer that went in our freezer with excaliburs and factory scopes since 09. The scopes aren't the best but they do work fine.
Until they don't...... :(
so if ur scope has worked well since 09 why would it suddenly stop working as long as you don't drop it from ur tree stand, bang it on a tree truck, or bathe it in a river? i expect my truck to run great until it doesn't but with the wear & tear, moving parts etc that's understandable. i had the reticle on a cheap tasco rifle scope fall apart but i had it a few years and besides bumping it a coupla times there's a lot of recoil involved. does the firing of an xbow impact the scope?

not trying to be a smart a$$ here, just asking. what could go wrong? seal leak? dial use wears something out? only had my excal for a year but i'm satisfied with the twilight scope that came with it. until i'm not, i guess.

mark
'Cause it Chinese. Not most dependable in the world. Everything in the world that's broken, stopped working at some point. My luck is it will decide to " Pooh the bed" at exactly the wrong time, i.e. Shot at big buck, important shot in a match etc. Fix it before it happens. Jmho
onequillkid

Post by onequillkid »

Goose52, I feel the same way you do. So let me get this right everyone should have a backup Excalibur for each Excalibur in house or extra limbs for each. When hunting you should carry a stringer and extra string, I thought I was seeing a pattern here so I have 2 vari zones, a lumi zone, and a tact zone in my safe for backup.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Schott wrote: your answer is fine that's what I want honest opinions don't sugar coat it the only thing I know about crossbows is that I want a excalibur I'm looking at a matrix 350 SE $550 with free shipping from what I have been reading on different forums its a good price for that bow have any opinion on it, thank you
I do not have an opinion on the Matrix or Micro models, as I still use an old Phoenix. :shock:
Have I had problems, yes. I've replaced limbs twice and went through a couple scopes but it still puts arrows in one hole if I do my part. The limb issues were cosmetic (splinters) and did not put it out of action. I was able to keep hunting and exchange them after the season ended, but I did lose all confidence in the scopes. No way to know if, when, or why POI was going to shift. Like I said, Leupold cured those problems!
I see no reason to avoid any of the newer models, I think they have the initial problems solved with them, so if it is a good deal dollar wise I'd say go for it!
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sproul, i think you mean that the scope does have parallax. Parallax is what could put a shot off at longer distances with higher magnification scopes if your eye is not centered in the rear eye piece. All optical sighting devices have parallax to some degree. Some are insignificant enough to be refered to as no parallax.The optical devices that have the least amount of parallax are holographic sights like the Bushnell Holo or the EOTech and the double lens Aimpoint.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Once you hunt with quality optics you can't go back to mediocre glass. :)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have never seen a crossbow scope that came in a kit that was of great quality. Are they suitable for 90% of consumers, absolutely. Most manufacturers use cheap Chinese suppliers. That's why I upgraded to Leupold scopes and I'll never look back. I'm not that 90%.

I also don't ascribe to the beleief that "we pay sooooo much money for these bows that they should come with great optics." You get what you pay for. My only beef is that they MAKE every customer pay for their crap accessories when you buy a new Excalibur, there should be a bare bow option like there used to be.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Same goes for rifle packages ...remington and savage take a pretty good rifle and put a 60 dollar scope on it ....comes down to price $ price $
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I believe the best advice is to put the best scope you can afford on your crossbow and then practice a lot. If and when funds become available then seriously consider a scope upgrade if needed.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Boo wrote:Sproul, i think you mean that the scope does have parallax. Parallax is what could put a shot off at longer distances with higher magnification scopes if your eye is not centered in the rear eye piece. All optical sighting devices have parallax to some degree. Some are insignificant enough to be refered to as no parallax.The optical devices that have the least amount of parallax are holographic sights like the Bushnell Holo or the EOTech and the double lens Aimpoint.
Did not knowthat..I thought if you look into scope like TACT -ZONE and your eye is off center and hairs move that means no parallax?TZ if your eye is not in center against the cheekpiece you will shoot off.

I can take my luepold hunting scope and look into it off center and it still shoots in same spot but not my TZ scope..
You can see hairs move a lot in TZ scope...
Boo

Post by Boo »

The crosshairs can appear to move when it does not acutally move. If it does at short range, turn the focus ring one way or the other or move the scope further or closer to your eye.. The best way I know how to focus is point your crosshairs is to point towards the sky and do not look for more than a second or three.
http://riflescopecenter.net/about-rifle-scope-parallax/
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Keep in mind that the folks on this forum, for the most part, are the diehard crossbow shooters that shoot a lot for fun and practice. I believe the majority of shooters out there will shoot one or two arrows to confirm zero then just to shoot their deer. After that the bows are put away again. The truth is the factory scopes work fine and many love them. If you plan to just use this tool to kill your deer this scope is fine. If you like to spend time shooting then you may enjoy a higher quality scope more, just like you would on a rifle.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

excel scopes work they have proven that, however you can't beat quality I take the may fail factor out by using good glass, Burris is my go to on all my toys.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers