Recurve vs. compound xbows. open and shut?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mlmcasual

Recurve vs. compound xbows. open and shut?

Post by mlmcasual »

So, just bought a 355 micro suppressor and new to the xbow sport. In all the research I have done, I have never seen such an Open and Shut lopsided case to be made for one type of product vs all others, I am talking recurve vs compound. And these are not small nuance difference, these are absolute deal-breaker/maker items. for example,

1-Uncocking with rope vs having to fire bolt.
2-Being able to leave cocked all day.
3-Accuracy after 50 shots diminishes with compounds not with recurve.
4-String replace by hand vs bowpress with compund.
5-Simplcity of recurve vs compound.

Not trying to be a "recurve snob" but am I missing something? Are there ANY downsides to a recurve? Not considering price. If the disparity is this different how come there is any competition?
hunter with MS

Re: Recurve vs. compound xbows. open and shut?

Post by hunter with MS »

For me the number 1 reason I went with Recurve is the weight rather be carrying 5 pounds then 6 plus pounds . I have to look at compound crossbow fishing xbow as I can't find a recurve one and I know of one compound Xbow designed for fishing .
WVCBH

Post by WVCBH »

I have uncocked my compound crossbow many times with the use of the cocking rope. It's not as easy as my Excalibur, but it certainly can be done.
You can leave a compound crossbow cocked all day with zero issues.
I wasn't aware that a compound crossbow loses accuracy after 50 shots.
Still lovin' my EXCALIBUR MICRO 355! :-)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Peak accuracy from a compound will come when very well tuned and the cams are in perfect time with each other. Any string or cable stretch will effect this timing, and there is more string and cable to stretch. Having said that, 50 shots seems like a low number.

On the negative side, I remember my Horton losing accuracy...and then it was a trip to the bow shop to get the string and cables replaced. On the plus side, I could cock and decock that one by hand and it was about the same weight as my Excals. On the negative side the cams came apart and about took my head off one day when I tried to cock the bow. On the plus side, that was a very exciting moment and that was the day I finally went recurve. :lol:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SEW

Post by SEW »

I'm strickly recurve for the past 4 years after using xbows for 33 years. However, I don't take such a dim view of compounds. Compounds are more efficient. The owner can tune and replace the string/cables on at least the Mission without special equipment. With a Xbow press, the owner can keep the compound Xbow in tune. Some high performance xbows are light, very light : Solution 390 for example. My Excals (380,400,405) are not what I call "light".
It just gets down to preference. I like "getting, refining and keeping". I still have my 1968 Johnson 4hp boat motor , purchased new by me in 1969. And my 1997 or 1998 Honda 300 4TRAX, etc. I've optimized my 3 xbows with optimum accessories(strings, Dr Stirrup, arrows Optimizers, Zeiss Duralyts. Trigger Techs,) , I don't want to switch them out in 3-4 years. Buy, optimize and keep is what I want. Just try getting parts for a 5 year old compound, or a 10 year old one. But you can for a 15 year old Excalibur.
So, I like simplicity, quality, thoroughly customized for myself, extreme reliability in my xbows. Therefore, for me, recurve is my choice. But there are plenty of arguments for good compound xbows. They are so smooth, some are very quiet, powerful, can be very accurate, etc. one is not right while the other is wrong. It's truly a toss up .
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I guess I shoot an Excalibur for many of the same reasons that you list. However, Excalibur guru Danny Miller has no lack of faith in the wheeled bows. The Maxpoint/Paradox was partly his baby, and they are fine bows. The newer Offspring model, Danny has shot and tweaked since its introduction, and he is quite fond of. The compounds do offer much easier cocking, and can be much narrower. Like all things in this world there are trade offs.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Fortunately, most of us aren't in the first situation listed below; and unfortunately, most of us won't ever be in the second situation either.
1) If you could only have one Xbow to use for the rest of your life, what would you buy?
2) If you were going to be dropped off in remote Alaska (for Xbow hunting only) for 2 weeks and be picked up at the end of those 2 weeks, what Xbow would you take?

Bet the answer is the same.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

SEW wrote:Fortunately, most of us aren't in the first situation listed below; and unfortunately, most of us won't ever be in the second situation either.
1) If you could only have one Xbow to use for the rest of your life, what would you buy?
2) If you were going to be dropped off in remote Alaska (for Xbow hunting only) for 2 weeks and be picked up at the end of those 2 weeks, what Xbow would you take?

Bet the answer is the same.
Thats the catch Steve, :lol: most of us have 2 or more crossbows. As you have put forth this event mine would be one of my Excals, but would you be allowed an extra string, scope, limbs, trigger assembly ? If'en so then that makes room to bring anudder crossbow broke down fer travel. I have enuff faith in my MXB320 to take it alone on a 1 or 2 week remote huntin trip :)
Pro's i can change out its string or harness cables in 15-20 min no press needed, i can decock widout havin to shoot it. It really is a sweet shootin lil compound model, it maynot be fer everyone.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I got the chance to shoot and check out some reverse draw compounds in the last few days. I can see why they are getting a lot of attention. It is a really smart design if you think about it. Zero front end weight and the speeds they are producing are unreal with minimal draw weight. The down side is its a compound that needs attention.. lol

Compounds have been around a long time and it's nice to have choices as to where you spend your $ on your next bow purchase...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Mike,
If I actually were going to be 2 weeks in the wild, I'd pack in a pair of limbs, extra stretched string, stringing device, extra rope cocker, and necessary Allen wrecches. Still, though, my point is, that I doubt that any of my Excaliburs will ever be extinct. They just become "vintage". .
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Recurve crossbows have been around over 2500 yrs. They should hang around fer awhile yet :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315