Setting up a hunting crossbow in "Scout" configuration.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Setting up a hunting crossbow in "Scout" configuration.

Post by learn2flyfish »

Just in case some aren't familiar with the concept, here's a pic.

The value is low magnification (which we already do) and this coupled with the extended eye relief allow for shots to be easily taken with both eyes open. Is it doable? Reason I ask is that we have a rifle configured this way and no one at my house wants to shoot anything else. The fast target acquisition, unlimited field of view with both eyes open and the precision of a scope is a hard combination to beat in a hunting platform. What do you guys think?
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Eck

Re: Setting up a hunting crossbow in "Scout" configuration.

Post by Eck »

At the risk of being a "wet blanket", archery isn't a "snap shooting" game, which is what the "scout rifle" concept is all about. Hasty shots in the archery hunting usually means wounded, perhaps not recovered game. I don't recommend it.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Hmmm...my thinking is if you like to shoot with both eyes open, why not use a holo or red dot? Looking through a scope with both eyes open with that much eye relief makes for a less repeatable and maybe more inconsistent eye position.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Basically any dedicated modern crossbow scope with "long" eye relief is almost a scout scope anyway. I agree with the above crossbow hunting is a dedicaded aiming process not to be rushed.extending a scope rail whould just interfere with arrow loading and be more trouble than its worth.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Fair enough. It doesn't look all that adaptable after all, especially when a fast reload is needed
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

learn2flyfish wrote:Fair enough. It doesn't look all that adaptable after all, especially when a fast reload is needed
With all due respect, I would focus on a perfectly placed deadly FIRST shot rather than a quick, hopeful first shot and the ability for a quick reload for a follow up.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.