accuracy problems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

accuracy problems

Post by wabi »

Well.........
Actually financial problems, I can't afford to forget to pull any more arrows before shooting another one! :lol:
I had the Exocet out yesterday evening and shot 2 arrows at the same target, luckily I only took the edge off the nock of the first one, and was able to replace the damaged insert. Then I decided to put on a new string and get things ready for deer hunting.
I put on one of bj’s deluxe strings and let it "settle-in" some overnight. Today I tried it off the bench using sandbags to see how it would shoot. I also switched to a slightly heavier arrow, so I expected the point of impact to change slightly. I set up a homemade foam target at 20 lasered yards and put a ½” diameter aiming point on it. My first shot was about 2” low and ½” right. I shot another arrow and put it in the same hole. (I try to remember to pull the arrow before shooting another, and luckily did this time :wink: ) I gave the scope 3 clicks up and one left then shot 3 arrows into a group I could easily cover with a dime, just outside the ½” circle at 10 o’clock. I would have had a robin hood if I hadn’t pulled the arrows, and any of the three would have hit the nock of the previous shot! I then moved to 40 yards and used a softball size plastic ball for a target. Only gave it a couple of shots, but hit it with no problem.
I played around with some offhand and kneeling shots to check my accuracy, and the only bad shot was at 44.5 yards where I hit 3” high. (Guessed wrong on where to hold.) :oops:
In total I probably shot 20 or 30 times, had to twist the new string a couple of times to correct brace height, but it’s serving still looks like new. I also had the impression the bow was slightly quieter than with an Excalibur ff Flemish string, but I also put on a new set of DB pads to prepare for the upcoming deer season, so that could have been the difference.
I’d say this combination of string/arrow/point weight will be what I use to hunt with this fall. It’s a 19” GoldTip shaft with brass point insert and 4” feather fletching at an 8 degree helical. I’m using 100 grain points for a total weight of 380 grains and the varizone agrees with my estimated velocity of 300 fps.
Now if deer season ever gets here…………… :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi that combination of string/arrow/point weight reads like you got a really good set up....however 8deg :?: then again feathers are forgiving :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!