Anyone shooting "Heavy" bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Micro.slayer

Re: Anyone shooting "Heavy" bolts?

Post by Micro.slayer »

And I thought my 465gr. C.E. 16.5 were heavy.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Why do you want a heavy arrow? They are quieter, easier on the bow, have more energy possibly non-measurable accuracy improvements and have more drop. Once adequate energy is obtained more energy thru increased weight just hurts trajectory. Except for exceptional circumstances, I'd rather have the better trajectory. If I were to self limit my shots to 30-40 yards, I'd shoot telephone poles or heavier. But I don't.
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

I was bored last night and went ahead and built some xx75 2219 at 703-728 gr logs to setup for one stand I will be hunting next few weeks on a scrape/rub trail.I have a stand set up at 17 yards off it,I have shot 2 big bucks of same trail last 5 years. I went and checked Wednesday,they are just starting to scrape on my property, I plan on shooting either a 125 gr qad exodus swept, or maybe a 150 gr swacker or trypan.

I will be setting up a vortex venom later today and sighting in one of my micro mag 340's with this setup.
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave:
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

My set up for my Mag 340 is a 16 inch 2219 with a extra long aluminum front insert , 175 grain slick trick 4 blade, plastic rear nock, and blazer veins comes in at 485 grains.
Shaft and front and rear inserts get squared and I shoot one hole groups at 30 yards the longest shot I have in my back yard broad head pit .
This I feel is a wonderful combination for any big game in north America.
It is not the fastest but I keep shots under 40 yards, it is quite, easy on the bow , and penetration is excellent along with accuracy.
The nice thing is I buy full length shafts and at 16 inch bolt length I get 2 bolts per shaft and it puts my broad head just to the far side of the stirrup with no over hang, Got to love it :)
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My bolts for the long limb bows are 490 total grains with 100 grain heads. Accuracy is excellent and penetration on targets is very good. I plan to hunt with this setup next year.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Just bought some 200gr VAP 2 blade single bevels (made from precision tool steel) and married them to my 16.5" ZS arrows with 110gr brass, blazers and Lumenoks. Right around 500gr. FLy great and hit hard....Like through a deer at quartering to at 25 (through the near shoulder) and buried in a 3" dia. tree about 7/8". Had to cut it down to get it out. BH is pristine. Was previously shooting a 150gr BH on these arrows and had to make minimal changes to sight in.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

L.C.B.H wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:49 am
I was bored last night and went ahead and built some xx75 2219 at 703-728 gr logs to setup for one stand I will be hunting next few weeks on a scrape/rub trail.I have a stand set up at 17 yards off it,I have shot 2 big bucks of same trail last 5 years. I went and checked Wednesday,they are just starting to scrape on my property, I plan on shooting either a 125 gr qad exodus swept, or maybe a 150 gr swacker or trypan.

I will be setting up a vortex venom later today and sighting in one of my micro mag 340's with this setup.
I ended up sighting in,first at 20 yards,and I went with the qad exodus swept and swackers,both hit same hole in target, I dropped back to 30 yards,I knew at 700 gr I would have ample drop off,It was approx 5.5" so I decided to set my dot dead on for 25 yards,I am perfect out to 35-37 yards,I didnt shoot any further as I wont shoot past 30,mor

e than likey 25 with this setup,Its setup for 2 stands. Wind has not been correct yet,but I did get pics of him at scrape and will be hunting it
this week.

I had an 8pt dogging 3 does this morni g at 90ish yards,they are just starting in my area,I have been in the woods everyday since Oct 1st,the next few weeks will be solid for sure.
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave: