Fixed Broadhead Results for 2016 Season?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carey

Fixed Broadhead Results for 2016 Season?

Post by Carey »

I am trying to get a feel for the effectiveness of "small" cutting diameter of heads such as the 1 1/16. Before the 2016 season began I read every thread regarding fixed and mechanical broadheads. Several members posted regarding heads they where going to try this season, but I have seen only limited posts regarding outcome.

I am biased in favor of fixed.
There are so many opinions for and against. How's a guy to know??? I DON'T want to get into the discussion of fixed vs mechanical.

All I want, is to hear the actual results of small diameter fixed broads experienced this 2016 season. Things such as;
Blood trail?
Distance to recovery?
Which small diameter head is preferred?
Will you be sticking with the fixed small diameter head for next year?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Carey
SEW

Re: Fixed Broadhead Results for 2016 Season?

Post by SEW »

Killed a large doe this past Sat night. 125g Griz Trick (1 1/4" -4 blade). M405, 45 yds, 20" ST, Lumenok, 92g insert. Heart/lung/shoulder/exit. DRT :D No tracking in the 34degree moderate downpour. Didn't get to use the Leupold LTO.
The Griz Trick , with 4 blades, and 1 1/4" cut (100 & 125g) has a lot of cut. Flies more like the field point when indexed 3,6,9,12 for me.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I also like the grizz 2 it ain't small but it cuts a big hole and does the job. JMO
W.M.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

2 kills with the 1" standard tricks so far this season, have 3 tags left that will have to be filled with bow before the 5th of Feb. I plan on using the same heads,, out of seven deer last 3 years with this head I had a 157" 13 pointer go about 4 to 500 yards, I did hit a bit further back than I wanted at 42 yards, but got him.

The next farthest shot was a doe at 37 yards and she didn't go 30 yards. Most were inside 70 yards other than them.

Blood trails were good from a tree stand, the 3 of the 4 I shot were very good, and a couple easy to find after dark. But a couple I shot from ground stand were weak, especially the first 30 or so yards, but after the cavity filled and blood starting flowing out the holes,, all was good.

Out of the 7 deer that buck was the only one that traveled very far and that was my fault, all that were hit where or close to where I wanted them hit didn't make it very far!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I used a NAP Hellrazor 100gr fixed 1 1/8" i believe they are.About a 32 yd shot double lung ran 30 yds watched it fall plenty of blood fer trailin. I will use fixed blades again this yr.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
grouse

Post by grouse »

I used slick trick magnums (1 1/8" cut) on two deer this year. The first was a doe that was double lunged that ran about 30 yards and crashed. The second was an 8 point buck that was also double lunged but ran about 75 yards. There was no need to blood trail the doe. With the buck, I found blood within 10 yards and followed a trail of varying quality right up to the deer. I felt some anxiety because it was getting dark, but it wasn't a struggle to stay on the trail.

The story is always the same. A good hit equals a recovered deer and a bad hit equals trouble.
axiom
350 SE
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

A few years ago I did some data analysis on over 500 deer shot with all sorts of broad heads. PM me your email and I can send you a PDF document of the study as I can't attach docs here. The data shows that there is no correlation to how far a deer travels after the shot to broad head type, size or number of blades. It's not a perfect study by any means, but it gives good insight. People will still argue, but the data is pretty clear. But as grouse said

"The story is always the same. A good hit equals a recovered deer and a bad hit equals trouble."
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

I use bolt-cutters 1-1/16"

Hunting from a blind with a double lung and the entrance and exit holes are high on the deer, the body cavity fills up with minimal blood trail.

Hunting from a tree shooting so the entrance hole is higher than the exit hole, good blood trail.

the deer that I made good shots on I recovered within sight. I made a bad shot on a deer and it took several hours to find :oops: , not sure of the exact distance, but I would guess 1/4 mile.

I also like fixed broadhead and will be sticking with them
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I used the Fixed blade Exodus heads this past season.

1.25" cut. Solid steal. 40" blades.

A bear and a deer went down rather quickly with them... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

This year I shot two Russian Boars. The first was a 180lbs sow from a blind. Perfect lower double lung shot with a Grizztrick 2 125gr broadhead. Ran about 90 yards and no real blood for the first 60-65yards. The second hog was a young 50lbs boar shot with a 125gr QAD Exodus. Ran about 30 yards. Perfect double lung but I don't really count this one.
I'll be going back to the Toxic Broadheads. Out of 13 critters with my toxics I had one buck make it 60yards and everything else was less than 50yards. The toxics also left the best bloodtrail by far.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Carey

Post by Carey »

Does anyone have new experience regarding Wasp Drone or Muzzy MX-3?

Post by newbie »

Paul if you are going back to the toxics after those two great heads you used this year.... you have me convinced to give them a go. Just for you they will be in my quiver this fall. Even though i just stocked up on swhackers.
Hope Don doesn't mind me barrowing his target to sight them in. :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

newbie wrote:Paul if you are going back to the toxics after those two great heads you used this year.... you have me convinced to give them a go. Just for you they will be in my quiver this fall. Even though i just stocked up on swhackers.
Hope Don doesn't mind me barrowing his target to sight them in. :wink:
I'm sure you won't be disappointed Mike. As Norman can attest from our Russian Boar, my outfitter friend (who has guided hundreds of bowhunters over many years) said he has never seen a broadhead as effective as the toxics.
......and I'm sure Don will be more than happy for you to come and get your marks using his target. I actually think that's a great idea! :mrgreen:

Paul
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

paulaboutform wrote:This year I shot two Russian Boars. The first was a 180lbs sow from a blind. Perfect lower double lung shot with a Grizztrick 2 125gr broadhead. Ran about 90 yards and no real blood for the first 60-65yards. The second hog was a young 50lbs boar shot with a 125gr QAD Exodus. Ran about 30 yards. Perfect double lung but I don't really count this one.
I'll be going back to the Toxic Broadheads. Out of 13 critters with my toxics I had one buck make it 60yards and everything else was less than 50yards. The toxics also left the best bloodtrail by far.

Paul
Hey Paul I've heard some mixed reviews not so much on the toxics performance but more so on maintenance of them. Do you need to change blades frequently with these? And do you practice much with them? If so how do the blades hold up after hitting a target?
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Minnow wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:This year I shot two Russian Boars. The first was a 180lbs sow from a blind. Perfect lower double lung shot with a Grizztrick 2 125gr broadhead. Ran about 90 yards and no real blood for the first 60-65yards. The second hog was a young 50lbs boar shot with a 125gr QAD Exodus. Ran about 30 yards. Perfect double lung but I don't really count this one.

Paul
Hey Paul I've heard some mixed reviews not so much on the toxics performance but more so on maintenance of them. Do you need to change blades frequently with these? And do you practice much with them? If so how do the blades hold up after hitting a target?
The blades hold up great but targets take a beating. These are not blades that are conducive to maintenance because of their shape and their single bevel edge. I suppose if it's genuinely in your skill set you could touch up the edge with the proper rods. Personally, I just sacrifice some blades for practice and utilize the replacement blades for hunting. I do recommend the 100gr toxics over the 125gr toxics. They're slightly smaller but fly better (in my experience). They're still devastating.

Paul