Value of Camo?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Marmot

Value of Camo?

Post by Marmot »

With all of the talk about camo, I am beginning to wonder if modern hunting camo is designed to fool hunters more than it is deer. I know this old codger that hunts with a stick bow wearing nothing more than a black, green, or brown turtle neck shirt and a pair of black, green, or brown pants. This guy always kills a buck large enough that he has to call one of his sons to help him drag it out of the woods. When it gets cold, he wears one of those old-time red and black plaid wool coats, and he still kills big deer. To top it off, he kills all of his deer from the ground by stump sitting or still hunting/stalking.

Post by Guest »

I'm of the thinking that if your outline is broken, its broken, case closed. But on the other hand the figitty hunter may be assisted with some major 3-d super camo. My camo is usually store bought camo, but I dont think my succes has increased signifigantly since I was 13 or 14 and wearing my black and green snomobile suit.

Ask any waterfowler, ithe first thing that bust you is your big shinny face usually.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I have to agree here. I've killed all my deer so far during gun seasons and usually wearing orange coveralls. All my shots have been within 40 yards, two while walking to my stand. I do think that the advantage of camo is the breakup of the pattern. You're more likely to stand out if you have one solid patter. I know :? ......like orange coveralls. Just relating my personal experience :wink: . I prefered the coveralls during the gun season for safety reasons walking to and from my stand. The last thing I wanted was a .308 in my rear because it wasen't orange :D .

I heard once upon a time that deer are color blind. Is this true :?: :?: :?:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Digger

Post by Digger »

For years in the sixties and early seventies my camo consisted of blue bib overalls, green plaid shirt, good pair of waterproof boots, my navy pea jacket if it was cold and a touque. And was successfull with my recurve bow each year.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

IMHO, If you have cover and the wind in your favour you don't need any camo. But if you don't have cover you might be out of luck. Check out this article, it's a great read on camo. Most of the archers I know prefer predator or ASAT camo.

http://whitetail.com/camo1.html

Nick
Partikle

ASAT Camo

Post by Partikle »

Here are some amazing pictures of ASAT camo.
Here is where I got those pics from, there are more at this link at the top and bottom of the page. http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=713372&mpage=1

Nick
Richard

Post by Richard »

I don't know much about crossbowhunting but maybe the value of the camo depends on the animal you're trying to hunt.
I think that maybe a bird can see colours better than a deer.

(Just a thought from someone with no hunting experience.)

The ASAT-Camo was tested by the US-military and it is a very good allround pattern because it breaks up the silhouette of the person very well.
I also like some military patterns like CADPAT TW (Canadian Disruptive Pattern Temperate Woodland), british DPM and german Flecktarn. I think that these patterns work really nice in wooded areas and are maybe a bit cheaper than original hunting clothes.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

My favourite part of my camo stuff is it is a uniform. I can keep all my hunting gear in the pockets and always know where to find it. Also you arent leaving camo gloves laying around at the barn and what not.
-Richard-
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

bstout wrote:In my opinion as long as you have a back drop (tree trunk or big rock) that will break up your outline. Second I want the color clothing that does not reflect light rather absorbs it. Basically the same kind of clothing a jewel thief would wear. To me that's stealth.
]

You have seen the kings new camo :) Congratulations. Having taught target detection in the military but never having been a deer, I have some thoughts that I've used my whole hunting career (very long time). Deer look for different things than humans IMO. They don't "look" for outlines as much as movement and things that seem out of place, I believe. Sight is also their worst sense. I had an old man show me he could walk up to a deer in the pasture (many years ago) which was hard to believe. The camo designed to break your outline with all the floppy things hanging on it actually increrases the movement in any breeze& attracts attention to you. The reason that old guy does so well with his worn clothes is likely they don't shine and he stays still. I wear camo but could care less if it's coordinated designer camo. Mostly, just army surplus BDU's in std woodland pattern, but well used. You can buy these on ebay for <10$ a piece. If you concentrate on hearing & smell, you'll probably be spending your time more wisely. That said, IMO, the biggest myth being perpetrated on hunters today is the "scent blocker" nonsense :o).
Greg