RAIL MODIFICATION REVIEW

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

Re: RAIL MODIFICATION REVIEW

Post by racking up points »

Thanks, OSS. You asked for it...

Believe it or not but at one time that was an original Vixen rail. It was later painted snow camo and more recently I had it dipped in RTX. This finish looks best, if I do say so myself. 8) I might even keep it for a few seasons :lol:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits

Post by newbie »

racking up points wrote: I might even keep it for a few seasons :lol:
This i find hard to believe. :lol: unless that DS takes front row seat for a while and you forget about this one.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Good news...

Custom black anodizing in Windsor will do the same service. I will give them a try and let you guys know how it goes.

Black is beautiful... :)
Last edited by Carnivorous on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.

Post by newbie »

Let us know how they do and the cost Jeff. you getting the whole thing polished or just top and where the cocking hooks ride?
Type III?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

newbie wrote:
racking up points wrote: I might even keep it for a few seasons :lol:
This i find hard to believe. :lol: unless that DS takes front row seat for a while and you forget about this one.
You're right, Mike. I can't sell it because I'd lose my shirt and besides they aren't making a recurve as beautiful and shooting that speed yet so it's bound to be in my arsenal for a looooong time. Somehow, this bow started off as a Matrix 380...the only thing left of it are the recessed aluminum washers :lol:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

newbie wrote:Let us know how they do and the cost Jeff. you getting the whole thing polished or just top and where the cocking hooks ride?
Type III?
I'm leaning toward a complete Polish of the mainframe. If it turns out the same shade as the riser it will be stellar.. :)

The nice thing about getting it done here is I can go over the fine details with them to make sure I get what I want and I don't have to worry about my parts getting lost in the mail.. ;)

Good thing the death stalker will come in all black parts...lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.

Post by newbie »

come on Canada Post never looses anything. :roll:
so you polishing the riser too then? If not riser will be different.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

This is the shade of black I'm looking for(vm's custom bow). I'm going to show them this picture and discuss the top mainframe finish. I think this will look good overall with just the top polished...

Too bad this bow will not see much use in 2017. I might be too nice to take it outside.. lol

mreyner

Post by mreyner »

I am so jealous :( Those bows are outstandingly gorgeous! :mrgreen: You guys should be ashamed of yourself. :oops:
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Hi guys, how much you have paid for the anodizing
process? I wanna do this at my Micro 355.
Micro Bulldog 335
Micro 308 Short
BD 330
Woodstock 342 (Matrix)
Matrix 355 with 310 Riser
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Dominic wrote:Hi guys, how much you have paid for the anodizing
It's around $200 plus shipping.

FWIW, when I first started playing with my crossbow I tried 3M teflon tape on the rail to see if there was any increase in speed. I found no difference in speed with the tape on the rail, so the polishing IMO will be more beneficial to the serving then speed.

EasyOff oven cleaner (the yellow can) will remove anodizing, with little to no affect on the aluminum. I have a few custom anodized paintball guns and accessories from my tournament days. It can also be removed with acid, but that can be dangerous for DIY'ers.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

taz3 wrote:
Dominic wrote:Hi guys, how much you have paid for the anodizing
It's around $200 plus shipping.

FWIW, when I first started playing with my crossbow I tried 3M teflon tape on the rail to see if there was any increase in speed. I found no difference in speed with the tape on the rail, so the polishing IMO will be more beneficial to the serving then speed.

EasyOff oven cleaner (the yellow can) will remove anodizing, with little to no affect on the aluminum. I have a few custom anodized paintball guns and accessories from my tournament days. It can also be removed with acid, but that can be dangerous for DIY'ers.
I chrono'd the 355 Micro I bought from Bellerivercrossbower with the stock mainframe as is and after anodizing. I found zero difference in speed. I used the same arrow, indoors, light kit with my ProChrono. The main benefit is the elimination of center serving wear. The secondary benefit is purely cosmetic.

.....there's somethin comin that's gonna make you guys drool! It sure made me drool. C'mon Jeff, don't keep everyone waiting. Show that bad a$$ MF. off! :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

I am not speed crazy. I'm a target shooter and shot a lot. The Rail on my Micro is a little bit rough and eat my serving very fast, that is the reason i am interested. Thank u for the answers!
Micro Bulldog 335
Micro 308 Short
BD 330
Woodstock 342 (Matrix)
Matrix 355 with 310 Riser
Boo

Post by Boo »

You guys are a bunch of keeners! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Beautiful looking bows guys, especially that one Racking up points! I will admit that ever since I have seen pics of the re-anodized mainframe my grey anodized just seemed to pale in comparison. In researching anodizing and anodizing shops I came across info on how to do it yourself. I have done some experimenting with anodizing polished items as well as bead blasted items. Some have turned out very well and others I am not 100% happy with. Seems that materials, amperage, aluminum cathodes, temperature etc all affect the end result. With some tweaking im sure I can get something im happy with (I am picky) but in the end it may be less hassle to send it out.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-