RAIL MODIFICATION REVIEW

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

RAIL MODIFICATION REVIEW

Post by paulaboutform »

Last year I did some builds of different bows from a Y25 Exomax, Y25 405, Aging tweaked Matrix420 and a gen 1 and 2 Micro 355. My Exomax build was the first and I initially primed and spray painted everything flat black. It looked surprisingly good but the durability wasn't there, especially on the mainframe (rail). I did some homework and found an anodizing shop close to home and had them type three hard anodize the riser and mainframe. This looked awesome but I found in very short order that the center serving was literally being sanded away as if it was riding across an emory board, which it kind of was. I contacted the shop and they explained that polishing would remedy this immediately...followed by 'reanodizing. I brought the mainframe back and they stripped it again, bead blasted it and sent it out for polishing on the top of the rail and the upper side edges of the rail. The shop then anodized the rail once again. It was a learning curve for both of us as they've never worked on any crossbow stuff before.
THE RESULT
I picked up the rail and was amazed! It was actually a gloss finish and looked like polished glass. Serving wear where the string rides the rail is not reduced at all though, it is 100% ELIMINATED!!! The only wear on the serving now is from the jaws. I personally think this is one of the best mods I've seen. Seeing the results I proceeded to do the same to every bow I've acquired....except my M380 because I left my camo rail to match the stock. This anodizing is superior to the stock anodizing completely. It's harder and slicker. I've never seen a crossbow from any manufacturer with this quality in their finish. Some of our forum brothers, upon seeing this, have had their bows done as well and perhaps will throw in their opinions and possibly pics. I did do a before and after chrono test with the micro and found no difference in speed which surprised me a little. Anyway, that's the report. This is a mod I would HIGHLY recommend. It looks great and works even better. I believe it gives you a bow that is far superior than what you see in the showroom.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ThunderXB

Re: RAIL MODIFICATION REVIEW

Post by ThunderXB »

So while I am interested in this, cost is an issue, so, ballpark in USD, what did stripping, then type 3 anodizing and the polishing run you?
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Great Review. Thanks, Paul. I have seen a pic or two on the forum of some other folks polished rails and they do look great. My question is can the rail be polished and anodized and not be a gloss finish? It may not be possible, I was just curious. Again, Thanks for the great review.

Post by newbie »

What you mean like this?
Paul is correct the rail is slicker then anything you will see. I litteraly see no serving wear other then claws.
Last edited by newbie on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
flightattendant100

ThunderXB wrote:So while I am interested in this, cost is an issue, so, ballpark in USD, what did stripping, then type 3 anodizing and the polishing run you?
Don't get Paul to figure U.S. dollars !!! :mrgreen:
flightattendant100

newbie wrote:Image
What you mean like this?
Paul is correct the rail is slicker then anything you will see. I litteraly see no serving wear other then the claws.
Mike, so did the riser get same treatment but without the polish?

Post by newbie »

Exactly Paul! Just the top and where the hooks rub the side had to be done or else it would eat the serving. The unpolished is like a fine emery.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I will never own a camo rail again because I'd end up stripping it to get the anodizing done anyway. I think if I ever do one again, I'll get the sides polished like Don did to eliminate the two tone look. For those that are afraid of glare, it's nothing to worry about especially if you only get the top of the rail done. The finish is incredibly durable - Paul handed me my riser at Boofest and I fumbled the exchange and it bounced off a concrete floor without a mark. :shock: :D
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

My Micro 315 needs that treatment....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The risers don't need polishing as they're just cosmetic. They become a flat finish opposed to the gloss. Sorry Paul, but the layer of anodizing is super thin and takes on the texture of what's under it. So when they did my first rail, they gave it a chemical bath to remove the anodizing then finished it with bead blasting. When they anodized over it, it literally became like a super fine grit emory board. The polished aluminum is the reason for the gloss and there's not really a way around it that I'm aware of. If you're concerned about being too shiny for hunting I really don't see it being an issue.....unless you had everything anodized in bright orange. In that case you'd more likely of losing your bow to Gaston. :roll:
The cost here is around a couple hundred dollars Canadian plus shipping...that's for the riser, rail, and polishing of the rail. The polishing is pricey as it's done out of house. Btw, colors other than black, such as Newbie's, are a type two hard anodizing which is still crazy durable and tough. I have both and you can't tell the difference between type two and three.
***look at Derrick's awesome pic with the buck. The rail looks charcoal grey next to the top and sides that are polished. Now look at the limbs. They're about the same color as the non polished part of the rail. It looks like that because the polished part takes on a deeper colour tone. Polishing the entire rail gets a little more costly but both ways still looks excellent.

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

Outstanding don't know if I could do this to my new xbow though. Maybe in a couple of years.
roly

Post by roly »

With the help of Paul, l had the rail of my micro done. I didn't get my riser done because it is already black.
It turned out fantastic, and looks awesome, I love it and to be honest I don't even notice the gloss.
If I could get photobucket to work I would post a pic.

No ware on servings, I'm so glad I had it done. Thanks again Paul for all your help.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

roly wrote:With the help of Paul, l had the rail of my micro done. I didn't get my riser done because it is already black.
It turned out fantastic, and looks awesome, I love it and to be honest I don't even notice the gloss.

No ware on servings, I'm so glad I had it done. Thanks again Paul for all your help.
No problem at all Rick. I was happy to help. I'd like to add that I have no affiliation with the anodizing shop and have nothing to sell.

Paul
roly

Post by roly »

can't believe i got it to work.

I only had the top of the rail done and the sides, but it turned out great.
Sorry Paul if i made it sound like you were affiliated to these ppl.

Post by newbie »

paulaboutform wrote:
roly wrote:With the help of Paul, l had the rail of my micro done. I didn't get my riser done because it is already black.

No problem at all Rick. I was happy to help. I'd like to add that I have no affiliation with the anodizing shop and have nothing to sell.

Paul
Paul is good at helping me spend my money.... same as Derrick! :mrgreen:
Thanks again guys!
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads