Micro 315 advice...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tomcat

Micro 315 advice...

Post by tomcat »

Couldn't resist how well the Micro 315 fit my 10 year old and after shooting it a few times decided it would be the PERFECT bow for him and although I LOVE my long limb EXO's and Maxpoint, I could see myself using it a lot this year whenever in a blind(which is pretty frequent now with kids and others).

While shooting it, I shot some 18" diablos and 20" firbolts with FP's out of it and although they had different POI's at 20 yds the groups seemed pretty similar. I have a LOT of awesome 20" arrows and 4 other Excals that use them so would be nice to just live with 20" arrows IF they will work as well with Broadheads. I'm willing to give up a little bit on it's groups at longer ranges as this will be a 20-40yd bow for him.
The stock quills already extend beyond the stirrup so another 1.5"-3.5" beyond doesn't make a difference to me but I've noticed that the 16.5" quills are unsupported by the rail for 6" when loaded and this would 10" with the 20's. Given this is exactly midway with this arrow, will the shaft have enough spine or flex enough to really affect my broadhead groups enough to make it an unfeasible option?

I guess I'm asking if anyone has shot 20' arrows with out of their micro and what kind of groups did you get with FP's or fixed blade BH's??
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
nchunterkw

Re: Micro 315 advice...

Post by nchunterkw »

I like to keep the BH inside the stirrup so I cut all my 20" arrows down and experimented some. 15" to 16.5" all worked well, but I settled on 16". A big contributor to accuracy for me (Micro 335) was shaft stiffness. Cutting down a 20" arrow will certainly reduce flex, but cutting down a Zombie, pretty much eliminates it! (over exaggeration but they are really stiff). This not only increased accuracy but also made that arrow hits like a ton of bricks. I have a Micro 335 and Vortex which are basically the same ballistically , but you can really see the difference when shot side by side. Love my Vortex, but the Micro has just really taken over. Smaller, lighter and hits harder....what's not to love?
My buddy has a Matrix and we messed around with 18" and 20" arrows from that. Everything was fine and POI didn't really change either. But I think your concern of having less than 1/2 the arrow on the rail (power stroke under 10" on a Micro) with a 20" arrow may be pushing it. It mat shoot well enough, but they ship with the shorter Quills for a reason. Plus I'd think with a little guy, keeping the BH inside the stirrup would just be safer. Not only from something or someone getting cut, but also from the arrow getting moved from proper placement on the rail.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Big John

Post by Big John »

I am thinking along the same lines as Keith.
A lot of dryfires come as a result of the arrow being bumped a little off the rail or just of the latches. Then being fired without realizing. Some good points there. I personally do not like the idea of half the arrow hanging off the rail when shooting these little powerhouses. Sure they may work, but, not something I would recommend.
JMO though.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

In my case, since I put out the $$ for a micro, I had no problem buying correct arrows for it... I also have two Matrix bows and my shorter 16" Z. Slayers shoot well from those also... ( though I usually shoot 17-17 1/2" shaft lengths for the Matrix 380.) I keep all my arrow weights in the 400-450 grn weight regardless of the head I shoot.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

If you really like those Firetwigs and Diablows cut them down to Quill length and stuff a brass insert in the snout and you'll have arrows that fit the bow your youngster is learning to shoot. I wouldn't want him walking through the woods with an arrow hanging that far ahead of the stirrup - it's just asking for a problem. As mentioned, a little bump and that arrow is no longer centred under the retainer and if the boy were to quickly raise for a shot it's conceivable he could dry fire the bow.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I appreciate the advice on the length. We don't walk or stalk with a loaded bow. I keep arrows in a hip quiver and load once in our 2 man stand or blind. I only shoot Mechs. The stock 16.5" Quills and just about every BH I have already is longer than the Stirrup so...again not really a factor for improvement here.

I honestly have several dozen of "high" quality arrows like BEE's and Spynal Tapps which I prefer to keep 20" for my 4 other bows.

I have the 4 quills that came with the bow, and another dozen Firebolts which I use as loaners that could be cut down so I may just have them cut to 16" and have some 92gr inserts put in them.
I also have about 2 dozen 2219's that I might cut to 16" and use 125 gr BH's to keep FOC decent.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if anyone has shot good quality 20's out of them and if so did you see any difference in groups.
Not that I don't welcome hypothetical speculation, opinons and safety points but I would like to hear about some firsthand experiences with 20's out of Micros.
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

All of your points about BH's beyond the stirrup and a dryfire really got me thinking and I honestly don't need my kid shooting my $10+ arrows.

I have some really short broadheads(Rocket Steelheads) that mounted on the Quills are just inside the stirrup. How well will 100 grain FP's fly on the standard 16.5" Quills. When I calculate FOC not counting tip I get 18% with 100 grn(350 grns total) and 20% with 125grn Steelheads(375 grns total)(they are just beyond the stirrup by 1/8").
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Thanks! I have no doubts on the steel-heads. Bob Fromme turned me onto them back in 2000 while shooting compounds with low poundage. He killed a world record Kodiak with a Matthews set at 50# from 45 yds with one. I've taken about 50 animals with them since including a buck at 63 yds from a Diamond Razor at 45#@250fps. I've yet to have a pass through with them except one where I centerpunched far knee on way out.
They are the closest to FP flying as it gets and penetration is unreal even in the slowest of bows. We've taken nice bucks with Hortons shooting 245fps.

This year I decided to try Swhackers(AKA Sonorans for us Ole-timer Elk Bowhunters) to test them out. But I have about 2 dozen Steelheads and unless he loses one, I can count on being able to re-use them again for the next 16 years..
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

If you find FOC becomes a problem ? 4 Blade Slick Tricks are short and availabe in 175 grain weight and have proven themselves to be excellent broadheads. This would also raise your total arrow weight to near 375 or maybe slightly over when paired up with a 16 1/2" quill.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier