Favorite ladder stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Goose52

Re: Favorite ladder stand

Post by Goose52 »

this was our 1st year bow hunting so we just used our gun stands.. now that we know a little better how they move etc we will put up ladder stands. i bought a hawk big denali 2 man stand for my son & grandson for xmas. it sounds roomy sturdy & heavy and should be comfortable for me when they are working or at school! havent seen them at cabelas since i bought it. my son made a ladder stand for the other end of the property. now a food plot next summer and we should be set.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

How world has changed...Kids today do not learn how to track a Buck .There is difference in buck track some will say there is not you are full of it but I know what is from Dad raising us to hunt/track..
Kids today are not learning how to stalk a Buck ..How to crawl with cedar arrow in your mouth because I hated a quiver on my bow ..
How to know when Buck stopped and wind that he is trying to out think you..Now he has wind in HIS face what do you do?

Is it doe terds or buck terd some will say you are full of it Sproul..WHATEVER thats their opinion..

Today its climb in treestand and SIT ...Me included now just lost interest at 63 crawling in wet leaves with carbon arrow in my mouth.. :lol:
Funny when my dad and uncles told story of hunting a Buck back in 60 we were all ears and almost peed our pants with stories were so excited to get tracking at 6am in dark without dad standing behind you after we smoked our clothes in fire near truck..

Today for some reason kids get COLD .. :roll: Oh well things are changing .. :cry:
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

yeah, the only thing constant in this world is change.... i remember when people would actually let u on their land to hunt and when large crews would make drives & never sit the entire gun season. no longer... now ur lucky if ppl will let u on their property to collect a dead deer you've shot & tracked. i spose u can still hunt/stalk on public land but i've read ur laments on the changes in the public lands where u hunt sproul. i will teach my grandson the skills he will need to hunt successfully & ethically and how to get along with the neighbors. the skills ur dad taught you 55 years ago in penn aren't all relevant here in private land WI and maybe not even in public land penn anymore.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Yes Goose52 ...I saw 1 crew driving this season,1 crew ..You used to see 15 a day with kids ..I saw NO KIDS in gun season this year..None ..Even road hunting I only saw 3 kids total on vehicles that went by ..

My brothers kids gave it up they said UNCLE SPROUL NO DEER... :cry:

What can you say to kid?

When you kill 31 bear in 2 crews in 1 week and i saw no deer in gun season something is wrong with that picture ..Hardly saw deer in archery on publicland ..

hunting on publicland in pa is over we are trying to stop it so we have deer.They are more interested in allowing AR semi-auto rifles then they are reducing doe hunting to 3 days like we were raised with instead of 3 weeks of doe hunting .

Oh sproul you are such a anti -hunting person and against the 2nd amendment... :roll: :x :roll:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I have a two person ALTAN stand I really like - beats the teeny tiny bare bones seats we started out with (and still use). I can actually get BOTH butt cheeks in the two man stand! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

VixChix wrote:I have a two person ALTAN stand I really like - beats the teeny tiny bare bones seats we started out with (and still use). I can actually get BOTH butt cheeks in the two man stand! :lol:

:shock:
:lol: :lol:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I used to take the cheap 49 dollar stands and build a big wooden platform around the floor ...This allows you to move around ..cheap enough they would not steal it but they would pee on your seat or no.2 on floor or twist it around tree..

I would carry in just top of my summit climber real light to carry in and nice rail so I can take nap and lay my bow accross the rail ..CLIMBERS are chore at 5am in dark carrying them in getting all sweaty and you are tired from hunt the day before..It is not easy just sitting in tree it wears you out...

but ladderstand is not my favorite in archery season ONLY in gun season..I have to move quick with my summit when buck is chasing doe at times ladderstand is problem and almost everytime I get caught by buck in ladderstand even up 18 ft high in archery season ...

but gun season they are great if other hunters do not do what i said above..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Decided to go with my idea of cheap ladderstand use the seat part and build a floor on it if i can then carry my summit top with nice seat and rail in with me daily..top is real light to carry in ..i have to have comfort or I cannot sit... :lol:

anyone have suggestion on what to use to build a bigger floor on seat part of stand ..do they make like 1 inch plywood?or could i put 2, 3/4 inch ply boards together ?
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

3/4 is pleanty strong paint it with outdoor wood glue then urethane coat it
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

This is what all my ladder stands are turning into,, lightest easiest packing, and a very short fall if I doze off,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
grouse

Post by grouse »

I like ladder stands much better than hang on stands because they are much easier to get into. One feature I always insist on is a shooting rail. It makes accurate shots easier, is safer and you can hang a camo tarp from it that conceals you from the waist up, drastically reducing your profile. My favorite type of stand to hunt from is a tripod stand with a 360 degree rotating chair and a camo tarp hanging from the shooting rail. They don't fit in every location, but they are so comfortable, allow shooting in every direction and they are very safe. They are hard to beat!
axiom
350 SE
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:45 pm
3/4 is pleanty strong paint it with outdoor wood glue then urethane coat it
I took platform where your feet go on those black cheap comfort stands and mounted it level with platform you sit on ..ITS IS GREAT ..nice and big ..

Little hard to climb onto floor as it makes it 3 ft opening below but ok ..Then place my Summit top with great seat on tree above with my packs mounted on rail etc...THIS IS GREAT idea for me as they may not steal stand too cheap .still going to chain it at top around tree..

of course bring in Summit top daily if I am not coming out next morning .Top is so light to carry with my molley straps ..Thanks for some idea about putting out the cheap stand I was going to buy rivers edge with reclining seat UNTIL I looked at my summit and thought hey I can use that ..

folks will steal good stands and steal your stand seats etc or cut them on and on..

Only going to use climber in archery when its warm just too cold using it in winter with cold fingers etc..

This set up is going to be nice big platform and Summit wake up sproul seat..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

wildcatter wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:57 pm
This is what all my ladder stands are turning into,, lightest easiest packing, and a very short fall if I doze off,,,,, :wink:
At 63 my days of sitting for 11 hrs on seat like that are over...Using my top to my Summit 360 max climber and using the seat of cheap ladderstand as my platform....Top is real light to carry out daily and rail will keep me from falling out when I take nap etc.

Summits have best seat/rail out there ... 8)
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

sproulman wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 pm
wildcatter wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:57 pm
At 63 my days of sitting for 11 hrs on seat like that are over...Using my top to my Summit 360 max climber and using the seat of cheap ladderstand as my platform....Top is real light to carry out daily and rail will keep me from falling out when I take nap etc.

Summits have best seat/rail out there ... 8)
Oh no,,not with my 1" high density foam seat and backrest,,,, allllllll dayyyyyyy,,,,, you surely didn't think an old man would sit on that steel grate I would hope,,,,, I assure you it's at leat 400% heavier than that,,, less than 4# and on a sling over my shoulder it rides in front of my belly with the legs at my side above my waste,,,

Nothing is lighter or more comfortable than the Timber Tall super brute,, recliner with a handrail all around me,, but a lit of work unpacking strapping on a tree, after climbing up after tying your gear to straps so when you get their you can pull them up,,,, on and on, same thing to get down,, and if you played the wind it was all for nothing!

I walk in set it down and set down, after I flip the backpad up,,,,,

No straps No steps that you don't need,,,

Just play the wind,,,, and harvest your feed,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!