Keeping deer cool

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gth

Post by gth »

If the deer has been shot with a rifle I take the hide of asap. I have seen enough "hide on" nightmare to know enough to get it off. Clean up blood shot areas, remove sholders if need be, tis is also a good time to start trimming the fat.

I have an airconditioner I use, works good for me. Keeps the beer cold too.

I dont like loosing meat to bloodshot. I have seen rifle shot deer being skinned 5 days after the fact. Nothing like losing a whole sholder because you didnt take care of he damage immediatley.
cdngunner

Post by cdngunner »

Just a little aside note.

Always hang your deer head(neck, if you already cut the head off)DOWN.

There are certain bacteria that are in the gullet and windpipe that can spoil your deer meat quickly.

I too wash the cavity and let the deer hang with hide for 2-4 days and then skin and butcher.

Vacuum packing makes the deer meat last longer in the freezer!
Allan

Post by Allan »

Wab

My 2 cents?

Don't skin it, and only hang cure it (in the shade of course) for a couple of days before butchering.

This is what I have done in the past. No spoiled meat.
stump

keeping deer cool

Post by stump »

I hunt with a group of 10, and we're pretty much split on using water or not using water. All of us leave the skin on, even in warm weather. I've done some research on the Internet and for every article I read that recommends washing game, there's one that recommends not using water. For every one that suggests you should remove the skin, there's one that says don't do it. It seems to depend on where you live (hot or cold climate), current weather conditions, and past experience.
This is a link to an article that I find sums up the options fairly well, and describes the rationalle for each. I'm not suggesting it's the definitive answer, only a reasonable approach.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3516.htm

Post by Guest »

bstout wrote: To each his own. I have a "friend" who thinks it okay to shower every other week because he has a naturally low bacteria count. We've told him over and over and we all stay up wind of the guy. He will never get it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bstout,
It seems as though everyone has their own methods of dealing with a fallen deer. Like you said to each his/her own.
Blood is the greatest natural medium for the culture of bacteria. Water is the lesser of the two evils. That's why I like to flood the cavity and allow it to run out the split pelvic bone.
Also, the finest beef has been aged for at least 10 days. No reason to think that venison should'nt improve with aging as well, if done so at the proper temp.
You don't happen to have an extra fridge do you?? :wink: :lol:

Post by Guest »

Good one bstout !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :wink:

Also, the article you posted and quoted from states that STATIC tubs of water were the source of high bacteria.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Enough speculation.......

For more info on game care from the "experts", including aging meat.....check out:

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3516.htm

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b915-w.htm ... y%20Cavity

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06503.html
Deer Saver

Post by Deer Saver »

Butchers_Daughter

Post by Butchers_Daughter »

Though I am spoiled with a walk in cooler these days, there were the days before the shop.....

For large game this is what we have found works for us:

For transporting from the field to home, block ice or dry ice seems to work the best - hide on. If water is readily available flush the cavity first.

Skin after getting it home and spray out with the hose, then wash with cold water (as cold as you can put your hands in) and a bit of white vinegar - about 1c vinegar to a 5 gal pail of water. this helps to keep the flies and stray hairs off and forms a very thin 'skin' that doesn't cause alot of waste when you butcher it. The vinegar also takes some of the gamey taste out

For larger game than deer, wash once each day for 3 - 4 days while it hangs, in the shade or a cool spot

Post by Guest »

bstout,

I see you still believe water and red meat equals spoilage, and aging meat does not improve the quality of it. :roll:
You'd better tell the USDA that their mandates imposed on slaughter houses regarding E coli are completely wrong then. Do you fancy yourself a microbiologist?? :? :wink:

Here's a link you can check out that comes from your home state:

http://www.aamp.com/foodsafety/document ... ethods.pdf

I've got more info if you need it. :wink: Dang, and all this time you've written as such an authority. :wink: :lol:

I expect an cogent rebutal, fact based of course, or a quiet acknowledgment. :wink: :lol: The latter would be more appropriate.

Good hunting to you!! :D
A.W

Post by A.W »

Well if I can "catch a deer" (as my girlfriend refers to it) I have a buddy with a restaurant that has a walkin freezer. Just got to "catch that deer"!! :lol: :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.

Post by Guest »

bstout,

I should have expected such an insightful rebutal as you produced.
I'm just trying to correct misinformation and falsehoods. I can't help you if you still think the earth is flat. :? :? :lol:

With this performance you've ensured your voice of authority has been reduced to the tiny squeak of a mouse.

Have a great day!! :D
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Come on Carl.....haven't you figured out what the "bs" in bstout stands for? :lol: Thought everybody had that figured out by now! :D
The Real Deal

Post by The Real Deal »

[quote="bstout
Do not wash any red meat that you plan to eat with water! This information is fairly common knowledge.[/quote]

BStout should have said "This is fairly common knowledge among the unknowledgable". :P :P :lol: :lol: