replacing half moon nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chessy

replacing half moon nocks

Post by chessy »

just got a dozen or so bolts given to me how in the world do you get them out and replace with flat nocks
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

chessy you have to heat them, they will by no doubt start too melt as they are plastic. Use a pair of pliers as you heat them and pull them out.

After you get them out take a small shaft of some type(round file) and clean inside of bolt. Then get some holt melt glue heat up your new flat inserts and apply some hot melt glue to them and push them in the bolt, have a flat surface to press them in with, reheat a little and wipe area clean where the hot melt will come out a little.

Bingo done :!: :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
chessy

Post by chessy »

as easy as 1,2,garyl... :o thanks that was easy i was pulling my brains out :twisted: :roll:
dw

Post by dw »

how do you heat carbon arrows to replace nocks?
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

dw my experience with carbon arrows/bolts that I have done myself is very limited. I have used a hair dryer to remove a nock or two but thats about it. My understanding is that most inserts, feathers/vanes are put in and on with super glue.

Some types of super glue will let go with the right amount of heat, but I would not try it with carbon....

Easton has instructions on how to put them together but not how to take them apart :!: :wink:

If chessy is talking about carbon then my instructions are wrong :!: :!: :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Decoy Dan

Post by Decoy Dan »

My question is, why would you bother.

I shoot the carbon arrows with the half moon nock and have never had a problem with them.

I find they shoot the exact same if not better.

I'm not talking a couple of shots. I've fired several hundred and I'm not about to change what works for filling the freezer... :D

Dan.
I'll let my exocet do my talking.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I had a couple of misfires in one of my Wolverines with moon nocks in bolts I kept from an old Barnett I scrapped. The string went over the bolt and dragged the bolt out of the xbow and threw it about 40 feet, the other time it completely went over the bolt and put it 3 feet in front of me.
I have never used a bolt with moon nocks since. No damage to the Wolverine, but you have to wonder what could have happened?

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Just take a file and file the knock untill it is flat. It saves alot of trouble!
-Richard-
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I would only do that as a last recourse as you could file the nook uneven. The next best way if you want to use the moon nock is to make a small V-Notched jig make sure both ends are level, then use a mounted wheel sander and very slowly grind/sand the nocks flat.

The other way is jig and band saw :!: :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!