Max distance Excal Vixen (TARGET ONLY)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Marion

Max distance Excal Vixen (TARGET ONLY)

Post by Marion »

Hello, I'm Marion.
I just put a poop brown vixen in the layaway.. I want to practice long range target shooting with it. What type of maximum range would I expect from it shooting 500gr 150gr heads. Without having to use Kentucky Windage/Arkansas Elevation. I use an HHA Optimizer on my current 150# X bow, and to get 102 yards, I have to literally aim at the tree line in the distance.
xcaliber

Re: Max distance Excal Vixen (TARGET ONLY)

Post by xcaliber »

There are folks shooting well over 100 yards, this is purely up to you, and your skills. You always have to consider wind speeds, etc. when shooting long range, even with guns!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

Hi Marion
Welcome to the forum family. Why don't you fill out the rest of your profile and when you have questions someone close to you can help.
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Depends on what scope n how you sight it in. Vixen's are not long range crossbows. They are very accurate, i found mine to do very well at huntin ranges out to 40 yds. 3D's 50 yds it did well
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
TPM

Post by TPM »

500 gr total arrow weight is pretty heavy for a target arrow. You'd probably be better off with done around 350 gr total weight.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

X2 on tpms post .a zombie say 19 inch with a 8o grain insert and 80 or 100 grain tip would be more long range friendly .not only the light tip the light gpi will help in the process. I hunt and practice with my vixer a lot with a standatd scope but only practice to 40 yards never really shot past that because im afraid it will just make me cocky and be tempted to shoot at game further. I have a 30 yard deer limit with the vixen and a 40 yard limit with my faster bows. Good luck in your long range quest please post your results. Lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I have an open farmer's field where live and have shot at my target as far as 100 yards. This was in a standing position and no rest or shooting stick, I can put bolts within 8" radius with my Phoenix.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Marion

Post by Marion »

vixenmaster wrote:Depends on what scope n how you sight it in. Vixen's are not long range crossbows. They are very accurate, i found mine to do very well at huntin ranges out to 40 yds. 3D's 50 yds it did well
I'm going to be running an HHA Optimizer. I'm still undecided on what scope to get. I'm thinking xb-30 ir
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Marion, the whole point of the HHA is that it allows you to use a single reticle scope for the uncluttered view. The HHA eliminates the need for subsequent reticles for distances beyond 20 yards. Just saying. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eragon

Post by Eragon »

I shoot 117 yards with my excalibur matrix mega 405 with 150 grain tips and the standard excalibur arrows and I can keep my arrows in a six inch circle I use twilight zone scope and HHA speed dial you have to put your own marks on the dial since it does not go past 80 yards easy enough to do though
Marion

Post by Marion »

fuzzy wrote:Just for grins I would mount that HHA on the Vixen and bottom it out, then drop a Varizone on top of that and set it up proper. When the Varizone maxes out on chevrons shooting at 50 yards, start dialing up the HHA, using the 50 yard chevron as your point of aim that should get you where you want to go even with heavy arrows. Good luck on your quest.
Thanks so much! This will be the route that I'm going..
According to Hawke's X-Act software. If I'm using an XB-30 Pro @ 215, I can reach out to 100 with just the scope. I'd be interested to see how much further I can reach out with the hha using that bottom chevron.
Hunter3D

Post by Hunter3D »

You can also use similar HAWKE BUC crossbow ballistic SW for mobile phones with Android OS. It will show You the arrow drop and wind drift for Your XBow FPS speed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ebuc&hl=en

Shooting above 100 Yards You will probably also need some larger target or increase the distance step by step to see at what distance Your arrow groups start to split. First shoot each arrow separately 5x to same point to see its own point of impact and circle at say 50 Yards, then select the best arrows for use to further distance.
Exocet 200 tuned (wood stock)