Buck Snort wheeze surprise

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fdegurse

Buck Snort wheeze surprise

Post by fdegurse »

I went to my woodlot stand location at 5:00am this morning. came in downwind but I obviously got further down winded by a dominant buck. I got three consecutive snorts and wheezes about 20 seconds apart. The first one scared my pants off even though I was stalking in really slow listening for movement--buck fever i guess--I could hear him as he tried to figure out what I was for the next 15 minutes. He was in far enough in he probably couldn't pinpoint what I was. I sat down immediately under a tree on the brush line which made some snapping as a sat down. I think he probably thought I was a buck doing a rub. I heard him for an hour and a half walking around grunting, scraping and rubbing trees and hitting branches with his rack, snapping twigs as he walked... I couldn't see him for the cover but I think he worked into 10 yards at the closest approach on the other side of the brush. I could swear he was purring. Either it was him or he was rubbing a really green tree. I was going to get ready to pull out my knife to defend myself as it wasn't legal shooting time. I never did see him due to the brush and darkness. I also never got in even close to wear I was going to put up my climbing stand. Then up came the sun ... Unfortunately I had to come into work this morning and I had decided if I got busted jumping something on the way in I would ease back out and save it for an afternooon hunt and not pressure it to hard. I snapped some twigs getting up and could hear him bounce off not too fast. Gave him some time then walked back out... Man, exciting morning and he's going to get the feel for the speed of my exomax pretty soon.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Excellent story, or should I say chapter 1.