Magnus Bull Head combo

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

Magnus Bull Head combo

Post by W.Miguire »

Is anyone using the Magnus Bull Head with their 335 micros ? if so what combo are you using for the 125grn? thanks in advance.
W.M.
longbow joe

Re: Magnus Bull Head combo

Post by longbow joe »

I shot them one year out of my micro with a zombie and 110 insert ...a turkeys bobbing head is a challenging target. The bullheads worked great.on a big longbeard and a jake. But l have only lost one turkey in 20 to a spitfire maxx and it was my poor shot. A spitfire maxx or a big rocket hammerhead above the legs stops em usually withen 10 yards and flys with better acuracy out to 30 even plus yards l didnt feel an advantage using them.to each his own. But im happy shooting the same heads l use for deer no scope adjustments at all.turkey hunting is a close thing for sure but the year before l had a stubborn well educated long beard just refuse to come in for 3 days .one day i got him in at 40 yards ranged him at 38 and drilled him with a spit maxx. I wouldnt have the confidence to shoot a bullhead at that range one a windy day like that.As a plus l have also killed 3 coyotes turkey calling and a bullhead just dont work on a yotes head lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Thanks Joe, good advise just not the answer I was looking for. but thanks any way.
W.M.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

On a funny note. Its a little embarrasing bringing home a decapitated turkey ......it makes bad pictures and when you take it next door to show your old former hunter neibor it dribbles blood all over his walk lolol ! Dont forget to use a longer shaft for the bullhead.....no stirrup clearence obviously.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

I plan on trying them out this year with my micro 335 using factory firebolt arrows. Firebolts are just long enough to clear the stirrup and with 125 grain field points, I've honestly been VERY surprised at how well they are shooting.
Now, that being said, all bets may be off once I screw on a bullhead. I don't plan on having a shot longer than 15 to 20 yards, so maybe they will work out. We shall see.
Heads are coming in the mail next week. I'll let you know.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I shot a number of birds last year with my 335 micro 20 inch arrows with the 100g bullhead 2 where body shots near the chest neck base the damage was extreme and not one of the toms went more than a few feet. I posted a video of one hunt on YouTube and had several people ask what shotgun round I was using that was so quiet. All you heard was a ping of the bow going off and the Tom dropping in a poof of feathers. :D
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

What was you arrow set up? I saw you video it was great.
W.M.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

My arrow setup is pretty basic. A stock 20" 2219 xx75 Easton Magnum with a 100g bullhead. I tried the 125g but had a hard time getting consistent flight where as the 100g fly great. I liked that they flew the same as my regular broadhead so if a turkey was too far out for the bullhead or a smaller window to fit it through or say through some small weeds, I could just switch to a regular head.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Thanks for the info. I been foolen around with some different combos and I got one I like 20" z's 2" blazers and a spinning front insert with the 100 bull head . I have tried the 125's with 5" feathers but like you said the don't fly the same all the time . so I think I will stick with the 100's . they work just as good. will do the same with some FOC's if the get hung up. thanks again for the input .
W.M.
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

The bullheads arrived in the mail.
All I can say is that the 125gr bullhead with the firebolt out of my micro was AWFUL! I was only shooting 20 yards and it was so inconsistent it was scary.
Even at 12 yards it was still VERY inconsistent. One shot would be dead on, the next maybe 6 in high and left. The next 4 in low, the next dead on, the next... etc.
So bad, I doubt I'll waste my money on trying out the 100 grain heads.
I switched back to my 16in zombies with spitfire XXX and of course, they are laser accurate. Looks like it's back to body shots for my turkeys.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

I've had nice accuracy with the 100gr heads out of my M380. I use 18" Zombies and the heads need to be timed exactly right in order to clear the stirrup.

Took 2 toms with them and was very happy with there performance. Both times it broke the heads.(probably from the ground) Magnus will supposedly warranty the broken heads..?
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Like I said I have had trouble with the 125's also .and I tried every thing that I had in my bag . so I settled for the 100's instead . call them at Magnus and tell him your problem and ask if you can exchange them for the 100's the head is the same but the blades is the only diff. I have used the 100 in the past and they work just fine . also I have installed a spinning insert up front and that makes a world of diff. and I will use a 20" shaft so I can shoot it out of my 380 or the 335 micro with no problem. I will also carry some NAP FOS's for that bird that gets hung up . all you have to do is switch them out and your good. that spinning insert is a wonderful thing , you can shoot just about any combo you want . they cost a bit but it is worth it to me .
W.M.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

When the bullheads first came out I was having issues with them in my compound bow. I emailed the company and they sent out 100g blades to try and also replaced the 125s I had shot at no charge.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I can see that happening , Mike is very fair and wants his customers to be happy .
W.M.
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

Apparently either magnus or the ebay vendor I used follows this forum or the the crossbow gods decided to do me a favor. Sitting at my desk and a package arrived. A new pack of 100 grain bullheads.
I ordered the 125 grain from an Ebay vendor. The same ebay vendor sent me the 100 grain without my purchasing them. Double checked my paypal/ebay accounts and the only purchase to them was for the 125 grain.
I guess I will try the 100 grain out now. Strange strange strange.

-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex