Why so much upgrading??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BrotherRon

Re: Why so much upgrading??

Post by BrotherRon »

newbie wrote:I fell in Love with the Micro after fondling it when they released it.
You will not see either of mine for sale.
I just replace when they fall out of my truck :mrgreen:
Just let me know the next time you think about losing one and I will follow you around for a while :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:

Post by newbie »

BrotherRon wrote:
newbie wrote:I fell in Love with the Micro after fondling it when they released it.
Just let me know the next time you think about losing one and I will follow you around for a while :lol:
It just happens.... might have to follow me around a while.
You can help me drag my deer too :wink:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Now that l have a micro ,matrix's, and the two long limbers im kinda at a lull the bulldog is nice maby some day but its just overkill do l need one ....no ..lm gonna update more fishing tackle then l will think about it. Funny out of all my bows im using the slowest one ,the vixen ll the most go figure ..its just plain fun and deadly inside 30 yards.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I'm with Steve on this one. I don't see anything in the Excalibur line that I HAVE to HAVE. With a Matrix 310 for her and a custom Matrix 405 for me, I don't see anything in recurves that make me want to get off my wallet. The bullpup platforms are nice, I just can't justify the expense when I'm satisfied with a standard Matrix. I tinkered with the Micro platform for a few years and it just fell out of favour with me.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
SEW

Post by SEW »

Just my observation: I loved my M380 and still do, but I had an opportunity to get a M405 at a reduced price. Being a longer range shooter, I jumped on it. It has significantly more authority than the M380. Later, I was able to try a recently disabled person's BD400. That BD400 using the same limbs, string, and arrows and a brace height that is the fastest for each bow, is 5'/sec faster than the M380 and appear the same speed as my very attenuated M405. However, the 400 has a wonderfully gentle feel. If a gentle, fast, smooth Excal is desired , at least try a BD400. With only a Dr Stirrup kit and a light, Flemish string, the BD400 is very fast, light, gentle, and as accurate as any Excal. If a person wants an additional Excal IOT heave a backup, the BD400 is a great choice for a primary Xbow.
What am I saying? After serious reflection on this self iniated thread, I have to admit, that I too, would have been willing to "upgrade" to a BD400 if I hadn't lucked into it thru someone who got it but couldn't use it due to physical limitations.
So, in actuality, I'm one of those "upgrade" people also.
Ldz
Location: CT ( probably the worst state to be a xbow enthusiast )

Post by Ldz »

Sew
First of you have to realize where we are. We are all so obsessed with crossbows that if we have any free time we cone here and read and write about them. : )

I understand your point though in wondering why one hasn't found a " keeper" yet. I think that most here have but there are the ones that trade in the old and buy the latest and greatest every year. That approach makes some sense especially if you shoot compounds. An EC just lends itself to become a life long possession. I certainly have done the same mods and put the same amount of time and love into their well being. That is what makes Excalibur the best crossbow manufacturer ever. There bows are built to last and have the best warranty in the biz. So if you have one you like and are able to hold on to it, there is no reason at all to trade it. On the other hand if you shoot any compounds this is not the case. They all require yearly maintenance and by design will never have the longevity of an EC. I'm lucky in that I'm in the position to have the opportunity to buy an audition a variety of bows. I almost never hang on to a compound bow longer than three or four months unless I really really like it. And then I usually buy extra sets of strings,cams,limbs ..... all the crap that comes with the evil machines. So far besides my dinosaurs , I only have 2 ok maybe 3 compounds and that will be down to 2 real soon. 2 missions and 1 Scorpyd. Mine is a unique position in that I have the equipment and the ability to service them myself. Most do not. If I did not have that luxury I doubt I would own more than one and for no more than a season.
I think all of us are guilty of at least wanting to try the latest and greatest.Even with the fact that I do have what I consider my keepers I still get excited about something that is really new. The Ravin for example. I couldn't even sleep the first time I saw one of those. I eventually got one ,two actually. They are both gone and in waiting for the next train .......
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

I purchased my Grizzly for several reasons. Excalibur's reputation, warranty and the price of the Grizzly. I did a few upgrades but not for the "latest and greatest" reasons. To keep it short I just wanted to have the best accuracy possible for hunting and to keep it as quiet as possible for hunting. So far I'm very happy with the Grizzly and the upgrades. :D
Those who are brave .. are free.

Grizzly
HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope, Munch Mount, Quikee 3 quiver,
BowJax2 silencers, self made kydex cheek piece
18" Diablo Arrows w Blazer vanes, 150 gr Boltcutter BH's, Lumenoks
418 grains with 16.66% FOC
schott

Post by schott »

Arrowflinger wrote::?:
for us people on a budget can get some good deals :D
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have had numerous long limbers with multiple add-ons but when the smaller/faster 380 came out I knew I had to have one. They have come out with multiple models since the 380 but its my sweet spot. The micro tempted me but its not where I want to be, so I will gladly keep my done up "380fps+" for a long time. I just keep trying to make it better every year.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
TPM

Post by TPM »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:It's the constant pursuit of perfection. Just when you think you have a perfect set-up something better comes along.. lol
You are correct, which is why I abandoned that pursuit years ago and focused on contentment. I'm quote happy with the Phoenix I got in 2006 and have been shooting it ever since. Never owned another crossbow and likely never will. :)
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

TPM wrote:
bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:It's the constant pursuit of perfection. Just when you think you have a perfect set-up something better comes along.. lol
You are correct, which is why I abandoned that pursuit years ago and focused on contentment. I'm quote happy with the Phoenix I got in 2006 and have been shooting it ever since. Never owned another crossbow and likely never will. :)
Tim, I envy your steadfastness. :mrgreen: I could've quit with my M380 as imo it's the best all around bow out there and my favorite go to bow. I haven't found anything to take it's place but I keep stumbling across these great deals that are just too good to pass up! :oops:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I will have no new EXCALIBUR this year. But I am tweaking my Micro to be the best it can be.. ;)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Now I understand why Don follows your truck all the way out of his driveway everytime your at his house :lol:
TPM wrote:
Tim I thought that was when you met your lovely wife ( the before message was said to favor kind responses in the trash talking thread) :lol:

Actually, I guess I am in the minority, I still shoot (when I shoot) the very first crossbow I had bought over 30 years ago. It also has nothing added as an accessory. There was not any new bow that would give me any extra advantage. The matrix series did generate some intrest, but did not do it, but the micro is a bow, that if I could afford it, I would add it to the stable.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

TPM wrote:
TPM, you and your wife are the Poster Children for "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". None of the new bows shoot any better than your Phoenix, and VixChix VixenII. And most of these folks don't want to shoot against you to prove a point! :mrgreen:
TPM

Post by TPM »

Actually Paul we're more like the poster children for "we're usually broke and can't afford to fix it". :lol:
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger