Why so much upgrading??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Re: Why so much upgrading??

Post by ninepointer »

TPM wrote:Actually Paul we're more like the poster children for "we're usually broke and can't afford to fix it". :lol:
Or if your like me... just too cheap to spend more money when my have can shoot diagonally through a deer and still bury the arrow in the ground. :D
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

TPM wrote:Actually Paul we're more like the poster children for "we're usually broke and can't afford to fix it". :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know that feeling!
Opey

Post by Opey »

I bought an M405 last year and although I don't plan on buying another crossbow I will be upgrading her.I have already purchased a custom Flemish string from 8 point and Spynal Tap arrows from Jerry at SSA. I'm looking at the trigger tech right now and probably a better scope along with a bipod, new quiver, and who knows what else I'll buy down the road. But I always buy stuff for the ones I love.
:wink:
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you take the sensible out of the equation, one can see why Excaliburs are so popular. I don't think any crossbow is as easily customized to the owner's dreams as Excalibur crossbows. People easily make it their own!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Boo wrote:If you take the sensible out of the equation, one can see why Excaliburs are so popular. I don't think any crossbow is as easily customized to the owner's dreams as Excalibur crossbows. People easily make it their own!
When I'm done tweaking my Micro 315 it won't look like any other on the planet...lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:
Boo wrote:If you take the sensible out of the equation, one can see why Excaliburs are so popular. I don't think any crossbow is as easily customized to the owner's dreams as Excalibur crossbows. People easily make it their own!
When I'm done tweaking my Micro 315 it won't look like any other on the planet...lol
Jeff, you are obviously out of the equation. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Boo wrote:
bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:
Jeff, you are obviously out of the equation. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd say... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Over on Crossbow Talk, a highly credential'd poster (tournament winner, 3x) stated that " the M405 was the was the worst Xbow" he'd ever shot. That's a strong statement. Obviously, he'd never shot a Barnet Wildcat 2 from the mid-80s. But a statement like "being the worst" rather than "the Xbow I liked the least" or "hated the most" is preferable to declaring a certain model of a certain brand as being the worst ever.
I stated that when equipped with various mods, it can become very user friendly while maintaining outstanding performance. His response was that he only evaluates crossbows as they come. I didn't pursue it as further discussion would be counterproductive.
Back to Excals, I appreciate that the xbows can come barebones allowing me to modify to my own taste. FWIW, I've found the revised limb mounting on the BD400 causes it to be much gentler, and maybe quieter, than the M380 when they are similarly equipped, even though the M380 is 5'/sec slower.
Back to the M405 critic, some people just have a critical bent.

PS I applaud Excalibur for making the Supressor. It was quiet! Still, the rubber piece near the end of the limb flew off on first shot. I'll bet it's positioning is very critical. Some people want their Xbow all modded from the beginning, others don't. Excalibur gives the buyer a choice.
Opey

Post by Opey »

SEW wrote:
Over on Crossbow Talk, a highly credential'd poster (tournament winner, 3x) stated that " the M405 was the was the worst Xbow" he'd ever shot. That's a strong statement. Obviously, he'd never shot a Barnet Wildcat 2 from the mid-80s. But a statement like "being the worst" rather than "the Xbow I liked the least" or "hated the most" is preferable to declaring a certain model of a certain brand as being the worst ever.
I stated that when equipped with various mods, it can become very user friendly while maintaining outstanding performance. His response was that he only evaluates crossbows as they come. I didn't pursue it as further discussion would be counterproductive.
Back to Excals, I appreciate that the xbows can come barebones allowing me to modify to my own taste. FWIW, I've found the revised limb mounting on the BD400 causes it to be much gentler, and maybe quieter, than the M380 when they are similarly equipped, even though the M380 is 5'/sec slower.
Back to the M405 critic, some people just have a critical bent.

PS I applaud Excalibur for making the Supressor. It was quiet! Still, the rubber piece near the end of the limb flew off on first shot. I'll bet it's positioning is very critical. Some people want their Xbow all modded from the beginning, others don't. Excalibur gives the buyer a choice.
That's interesting. Although I only own a M405 I have shot at one buck and killed one buck. Then while shooting with my buds I consistently out shoot two different Tenpoint models and Barnett at ranges from 20 yards to 40 yards.

I'm curious why he thinks that?
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

ArcheryAddict wrote:I bought the Suppressor and in the archery world I think it's a reasonably cheap (in price not quality) top of the line bow. The Raven is on the expensive side and the Scorpyods are too but you get the entire package with a crossbow. Go buy a regular top of the line compound and set it up with quality accessories and see how much it is.
It's all about supply and demand, and what the market will bear! Especially true when it comes to sports and recreation. I guess I'm revealing my age when I say, I'm old enough to remember when they sold for a small fraction of the price. A few hundred bucks would get you top-shelf bows, rifles, and optics/scopes. The same today costing in the thousands. Remembering those long past days, I find it harder with each passing year to justify their current inflated prices. On the other hand life is short, and we will neither need or nor be able to spend our money when we're gone.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

I think upgrading, customizing and tinkering is part of the enjoyment of owning an Excalibur and it can all be done without a press or worrying about cam timing and the like. I've owned my 350 for about year, I've added Danny Miller's bumpers, and an adf (after I dry fired it once, which I thought I would never do), added some db killers, wrapped the stirrup, stuffed some foam in the rail, replaced where the quiver mounts to with a piece of picatinny rail, made a beltclip for the quiver, have several different strings and just recently upgraded the scope. I often find myself just looking at it, thinking of what else I can do to customize it.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:... I keep stumbling across these great deals that are just too good to pass up! :oops:
LOL! That's because you are now a Crossbow Collector Buddy! :wink:
aib1015 wrote: I often find myself just looking at it, thinking of what else I can do to customize it.
I did a little of that when I first collected my 380. Now I still look at it a lot, but the only wonder is: Will they ever come up with anything that will make it shoot even better?

Given what I've already put into it, and given what this one does, it is unlikely.
Might have to follow (BABY STEPS!!!) in Paul's bootprints, break down and find a 405 I "need" :lol:

Or maybe a Micro...
Or...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
SEW

Post by SEW »

My title to this thread is ill chosen. I think I have at least as many upgrades on my M380 & M405 as anyone and slightly less on my BD400.
I kept reading "upgrade" in referencing "newer models" of Excals. That's what I meant. The Excalibur xbows just beg for customization. I obliged mine. :D
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

I just bought a Mathews Chill R with the best sight and arrows I could buy. Tack driver. Kill everything that walks by. Just got my daughter a Mission craze loaded up with the best stuff. She out shoots me at 18. Just bought my first crossbow Micro 335 put Nikon Xr on it and Carbon Express Maxima Blue bolts. It's a tac driver. Can't wait till fall. We spend money on the best stuff. We like to kill. Practicing to kill is fun too. I guess that's why Sportsman spend more money than any other sport. I think we are #1 in sales
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

My 10 year old has Apprentice 111 (Bear) amazing! Bow wish it was mine. She has all the best accessory. My son was in a Motorcycle accident he's 29. I want him to get a Ravin crossbow. And my Grandson is 2 yrs. old It never ends. Equiptment is everything! What did Uncle Ted Nugent say go spend a day in the woods and cleanz your SOUL