Why so much upgrading??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Why so much upgrading??

Post by SEW »

Over on Crossbow Talk there is a lot of discussion on the Raven and Deathstalker xbows as well as Scorpyd in general. The Ravens aren't cheap nor are the Scorpyds, though the Deathstalker appears to be a value leader. Most xbows are at semicuston rifle prices at least. Ravens are in the $2,000 range or a little less. (R9 and the 15).
Excaliburs can be a bit pricy too. After 30 years of Xbow usage and trying to keep a still supported compound Xbow, I got a M380 with the intention of 10 years plus of ownership. Still haven't changed my plan but did get a 405 the next year and a 400 last year. 405 primary, 400 next and 380 next. Lots of money and upgrades on each plus a lot of personal work enhancing each bow. Matching arrows, Duralyts & Optimizers on the 405 & 400, XB75 on the 380. Many hours of work on finalizing the arrow design and construction for each, getting the tapes to 100 yards on the Optimizers, etc. TTs and then them modified to like Boo does the string latches, just the right balance string for each, Dr Stirrups on all, etc. Lots of money and time!
I understand the compound shooters chasing the latest and greatest but don't want to participate. Couldn't afford to if I wanted. I came to Excalibur to get and keep.
I'm just surprised at the amount of so quickly going to the Micros from the Matrixes then to the Gen 2 Micros to the Supressors , etc.....
In no way criticizing , I just didn't think length of ownership would be so short in many cases. Maybe, I just fell in love with my magnum Excaliburs. 4,3,and 1 years and you couldn't pry any of these xbows out of my hands. :D
Arrowflinger

Re: Why so much upgrading??

Post by Arrowflinger »

:?:
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have no idea what you're saying here. :lol: :lol:
Love the Matrix bows I have, but it did take some trials to get here. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEW

Post by SEW »

xcaliber wrote:I have no idea what you're saying here. :lol: :lol:
Love the Matrix bows I have, but it did take some trials to get here. :wink:
I know you're kidding. Fortunately, I had no bumps in the road at all. Everything, coming from the Strykeforce and Strykezone 380 to the M380 was very easy. I had read Boo's site and the Excal site, videos, etc well before getting my M380. No surprises. I've never had so little of a transition problem as when I got my first Excal.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

It's the constant pursuit of perfection. Just when you think you have a perfect set-up something better comes along.. lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have not had skin in this game for as long as most here. I did experiment a bit at first with both a Matrix 330 and a long limbed Axiom SMF... Both were fine bows to which I only upgraded with a decent scope and set of Danny Miller Baby Bumpers and in the case of the Axiom, a set of S-5's.

I have since then passed those on to others, while setteling on a Matrix 350 SE, a Gen II 335 Micro, and I built myself a "correct" Matrix 380...

The basic set up on all bows consist of simply good, smooth, crisp trigger, as high of Quality scope as I could afford or trade for, set of up-graded string bumpers, Custom Flemish string, cheek rest, ADF, wrapped and camoed stirrups, and camo Munch Mounts.

I don't feel this was too much cost wise, other than possibly ending with a bow or two too many in the end. :oops: Excal provided much of what I feel is necessary in the packages as supplied with little additional $ being a necessity after initial purchase.

For my particular uses this is all I feel I'll ever need. :D Besides, I'm retired now and still providing for a special needs grandson as well as my wife.

I'm finished looking for the " latest and greatest ", as I feel these will suit my needs just fine for as long as I'm still able to get out and enjoy them. :wink:

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

I will have to side with my wife on this one, and blame the internet (social media). Before all the craze started, I did my own thing and was satisfied. I killed my deer and turkeys, caught fish, etc. Then came the website forums. So and so did this, or that, he/she said this was better, faster, brighter. She said I have become obsessed with what everybody else was doing. She is right. Other than a few upgrades with technology, I am no better off in my outdoorsmanship then before this craze. Likely off course, but that is how I see it regarding what everyone else is upgrading to. Lol :mrgreen:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I love when people got to have the latest offering . :lol: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
SEW

Post by SEW »

Some of us may be a "bit" obsessive. It took me 100's of hours to get my shorter range varmint rifle all lined out: blue printed action, custom, fast twist barrel, fire formed cases(220 Russian to 6PPC - 0.262"), dies made to fire formed cases, supply of Laupa fireformed cases, after market, bedded stock, Jewel trigger, same lot of enough powder for 1000's of shots, worked out loads(greatly helped by Quickload), centered scope by adjusting bases, etc. Think I'm getting rid of this rifle any time soon? Of course not.
The Excal xbows don't require such preparation but can be greatly enhanced. All the aforementioned (thread starter) modifications took many hours and dollars . The arrow/broadhead testing, getting just the right foc, minimum, that will get the tightest groups at desired maximum range while keeping the flattest trajectory takes a lot of time. Even the so called "harsh" M405 can be Quiet and docile with a bit of work (and add ons) AND capable of < 1 1/2" 3-shot groups @ 100 yards.
When all this is done, and the end result is achieved , the latest and greatest doesn't begin to compare with a fully optimized Crossbow/arrow combination. At least, imo .
SW

PS I'm well aware that my preparations don't even begin to compare to what a number of members of this forum have done.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I don't know, I've read many posts from you, I think you put in your time. I'm very happy with the Matrix bows as well, but you never know.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I reckon some ppl. need the latest n the greatest. Fer myself i have owned the 405,380,355,350SE Matrix n none of them actually fit my body. I had to conform to the stocks n length of pull. So I decided to have that changed n had a Custom Matrix 360 built to fit me. I am very pleased wid it. I no longer own the 405,380,355 or the 350SE! Thats not countin the other 16 Excals that i owned prior to these. At this time in my life i don't need to buy anudder Excal recurve, i have mine now :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

I believe it's just a child in everyone of us feeling the urge for new toy and justifying that trough adult reasoning. Initial excitement is there, just like any child, before moving to a new toy.
Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Fazan on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

I guess i'm old school, I bought my equinox in 2010 and never looked back. :roll:

Dave :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I started with the original Matrix line and will stay there... Maybe. :lol:
I really enjoy target shooting with my Matrix 310 and swapping risers to hunt with a 330. Eventually I will probably purchase a 200# Phoenix or Exocet just to have a long limb around ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:

Post by newbie »

I fell in Love with the Micro after fondling it when they released it.
You will not see either of mine for sale.
I just replace when they fall out of my truck :mrgreen: