HELP: Need Decoy Advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

HELP: Need Decoy Advice

Post by Guest »

Season opens here on Saturday. I've been watching a spike and a six pointer every evening at about 6:45 pm. They're just like clockwork working their way in to the newly planted meadow from a overgrown pasture with xmas trees where they bed. Same time, same place. Just have to figure out which side of the draw to set up in depending on the wind. I'll be on the ground using natural cover.
Should I set up a decoy (my 3-d target) about 80 yards away in the meadow? That might take focus away from the hedgerow I'll be in. The shot distance will be about 20 yards, with any luck.
Or should I just wing it and hope the spike does'nt give my position away before the six follows him through the draw???

PS. I don't have any experience with decoying deer.

Thanks for the info,

Carl
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hi Carl,

I came across this decoy article last spring. Decoy's, how to make them work for you If you haven't read it yet check it out, John has some great tips:

http://www.deer-john.net/articles.html

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, here is a picture of some of John's bucks.

Nick

Decoying

Post by Guest »

Thanks much Nick. That was a good article. I'll deffinitely try it during rifle season in Nov. For all you guys that use decoys and did'nt respond to my plea,..well..you can piss off! :P :lol: I'm sure you know who you are, I do.
I did'nt use a decoy last night, but ended the opening day with a kill shot on the six pointer that I mentioned above.

Take care Nick, and thanks again. 8)

Carl