Torn (Vixen VS Axiom)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Marion

Torn (Vixen VS Axiom)

Post by Marion »

I put a brown vixen in the Layaway for $489 (because I bought rail upgrades)
I've paid on Half of it.. and now I'm seeing Axioms on sale @ Fleet Farm for $450 out the door... Should I convert the layaway into store credit for arrows, and just buy the Axiom?

I'm wanting more power for the money, and I believe I still could hand draw a 175# bow...

Or should I continue down this path.. Will a Vixen with an Ashby type arrow setup dispatch hogs?
TPM

Re: Torn (Vixen VS Axiom)

Post by TPM »

Is this a new Vixen? It's been a long time since Excal has made brown Vixens. Also, what are 'rail upgrades"?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Marion

Post by Marion »

TPM wrote:Is this a new Vixen? It's been a long time since Excal has made brown Vixens. Also, what are 'rail upgrades"?
Nope.. Poop brown.. I bought the scope rail for it, as it simply had the weaver with open sights. I put in layaway on impulse, because I really wanted an excalibur (as my Jandao is getting old). But I should've done better..
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'd go for the Axiom just because I think it's better value for your dollar. Clean bare bones brown Vixens (no scope or accessories) can be had on the used market for around $250-$275.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Just a bit of history.

The "DeerHIde Brown" Vixen was first introduced in 2003. It had the following specs:
  • mass weight 6lbs
    overall length 37"
    power stroke 14"
    draw weight 150lbs
    velocity 285FPS
In 2006 the specs were:
  • mass weight 6lbs
    overall length 36.5"
    power stroke 13.5"
    draw weight 150lbs
    velocity 285FPS (a "forward riser" was introduced)
The last year this model was produced was 2008.

In 2009 the Vixen II was introduced and came in Realtree Hardwood.
The specs were:
  • mass weight 5.9lbs
    overall length 35.5"
    power stroke 13.5"
    draw weight 150lbs
    velocity at 285FPS
The Axiom was introduced in 2010.
It was sold as a "kit only", and included multiplex scope and mounting hardware, quiver, 4 Firebolt arrows complete with field points.

It's specs are as follows:
  • Velocity 305FPS
    Draw Weight 175lbs
    Power Stroke 14.5
    Mass weight 6.0lbs
    Overall Length 37.5"
    Realtree Advantage Timber stock and limbs
    Gray anodized alumium rail/mainframe and riser
In 2012 the Axiom SMF (Black Composite rail, Black Auminum riser) was introduced. Other than the rail and riser, the specs were the same as above.

Marion, I hope that helps you make up your mind on which way to go.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Where do y'all get bare bow axioms for $250.. If that's the case, That's the route I'm going! I'll take the layaway and load up on arrows. If the old vixen is 285 with a 350 grain arrow (252 with a 500gr) Then a Axiom should be able to fling a 500-grain arrow at 250-275.. That's all I need.
TPM

Post by TPM »

You're not likely to find an Axiom that cheap. Re read my post, bare bones brown Vixen can often be found on the used market that cheap. The brown ones have been out of production since 2008. They sell cheap on the used market for various reasons, mostly because everyone is camo crazy and speed crazy. It's a shame as they are sweet bows. Don't get caught up on heavy arrows for lower poundage bows. Something in the 375-400 grain total weight will be more than adequate for hunting. If you're budget is under $500 look for an older used Exocet or something along those lines. $500 should get you a good bow with accessories (scope, rope cocker, quiver, arrows etc.).

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Marion

Post by Marion »

TPM wrote:You're not likely to find an Axiom that cheap. Re read my post, bare bones brown Vixen can often be found on the used market that cheap. The brown ones have been out of production since 2008. They sell cheap on the used market for various reasons, mostly because everyone is camo crazy and speed crazy. It's a shame as they are sweet bows. Don't get caught up on heavy arrows for lower poundage bows. Something in the 375-400 grain total weight will be more than adequate for hunting. If you're budget is under $500 look for an older used Exocet or something along those lines. $500 should get you a good bow with accessories (scope, rope cocker, quiver, arrows etc.).
Makes total sense.. I'm quite frustrated that I didn't research like I normally do.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I recently BOUGHT MY SECOND CAMO VIXEN 2 VARIZONE PACKAGE for $520 from amazon i dont know your locatoin but there still are many new synthetic brand new axioms here on e bay and amazon
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Makes sense.. I might just pay it off slowly. I picked up a couple dozen arrows and broadheads for my current bow.. So I'll just keep it until I can trade up. I've been pushing my chineese Jandao out to 65 yards with 6in grouping.. That's my max for now
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

I have both a brown Vixen and a Axiom. As far as shooting and harvesting deer are concerned; for the life of me I cannot tell much difference a'tall.

After shooting them for more than 10 years, I have yet to have a single mechanical problem (other than wearing out a couple of strings).

I am of the opinion that which ever bow that you choose that your grandchildren will grow old shooting them.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

My old brown Vixen has been extremely durable and reliable. Many many miles on that xbow. I can shoot heavier/faster bows but my Vixen does it all. No regrets.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.