Helical vs Offset: SEW read this!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Helical vs Offset: SEW read this!

Post by SEW »

I'm going to try to post using Postimage.org. We'll see how it goes. I'm a very non- computer savvy, iPad/iPhone only user.

Limited # of pictures working on Photobucket . Still battling with Postimage.org

20 yards . Helical on right, offset left. Helical 377(396g arrow), offset 376

90 yards.

This picture was taken at the beginning of the test to evaluate whether the Goldtip video concerning the supposed advantages of helical vanes concerning long range trajectory applied to Xbow arrows. I shot at 20,40,60,80 and 90 yards.
Only pictures that would load on Photobucket are shown. The only vertical differences are shown at 20 yards(appx 1") and here, the opposite to the GT video occured : the offset was higher. At 40 yards , there was 1/2" difference. 60-90 were equal , vertically.
FYI, my M405 has an Optimizer and is set up for 445g broadhead tipped arrows. I was shooting 396g, field tipped arrows so I somewhat offset my Optimizer so the impact points would be near the middle of the Spyderweb. Aim points were the 2 lower, red hearts. Offset left, helical right. I used a benchrest set up. These arrows/Xbow will produce <1 1/2" 3-shot 100 yard groups . Excals aren't junk! :D
I didn't chrono at the various ranges except for 20 yds(377 helical, 376 offset) as trajectory was the object, not velocity. IF, there had been an appreciable trajectory difference, then long range velocity would have been explored.
Summary: same trajectory thru 90 yards for both offset and helical.
Previous testing: offset and helical have about the same accuracy with field points and very low profile Expandibles, helical has significantly greater accuracy for hi profile Expandibles and fixed broadheads.
Personal opinion: use helical only. Keep a minimum of 190g or greater insert/broadhead weight over nock weight for fieldpoints/low profile Expandibles and 200g or greater for fixed broadheads.
Hope this helps put this trajectory thing to rest: they're equal.m
Last edited by SEW on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
xcaliber

Re: Helical vs Offset: SEW read this!

Post by xcaliber »

Cannot wait to read the result, and see the data! SEW, you go the extra mile to completely explain, prove, and verify what you post. That is putting the mustard on the bun! You keep posting, we'll keep learning! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEW

Post by SEW »

I edited the first post. Hopefully helpful info.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

A respected arrow maker sold me on the SK300s in offset because he claimed at 100y the offset impacted a good 6" higher than an equal weight arrow with helical Blazers, (it's not an active forum member, FYI). He said an offset confirguration had less drop at extended ranges. Your results have FUBAR'ed that theory. Since I plan on using 175gr Slicks and 170gn FOCs this year, I'm stripping the SK300s for Blazers. Thanks for saving me the leg work, Steve!
Last edited by racking up points on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
SEW

Post by SEW »

racking up points wrote:A respected arrow maker sold me on the SK300s in offset because he claimed at 100y the offset impacted a good 6" higher than an equal weight arrow with helical Blazers. He said an offset confirguration had less drop at extended ranges. Your results have FUBAR'ed that theory. Since I plan on using 175gr Slicks and 170gn FOCs this year, I'm stripping the SK300s for Blazers. Thanks for saving me the leg work, Steve!
NO, NO, NO!!

I totally disagree with him on the impact points. I did enough testing with SK200 helical, Blazers helical and SK300s offset to 100 yards to state that the SK300s actually hit between 1-2" lower at 100 yds than did identical helical Blazers. Only difference between the arrows was the extra weight of the SK300 vanes.

Offset SK300s are the most accurate set up I've ever shot. Ever!!
Boo had a test of SK300s(offset), S Blazers (Bolt fletched) and SK200s (Bolt fletched). Their accuracies are in that order. Even with broadheads.
Why do I use Blazers then? Convience. The difference between 300s and H. Blazers was very little but measurable. If I could magically have 300s instead of my simple to fletch Blazers, I'd do it.
I pursue accuracy beyond imagination but the difference is so very slight the extra work for me just isn't worth it.
Last edited by SEW on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMc

Post by DMc »

Really great information! Thanks!
SEW

Post by SEW »

I did massive edits of previous posts on this thread that may be of help to some readers.