help/?? exomax gone wild season ending

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bluewaterken

help/?? exomax gone wild season ending

Post by bluewaterken »

I just got a new max with with a varizone.our hunting season opened with two hurricanes which is half the season. this friday I got my first day of hunting in. I got a 30yd shot at a 150lb wild boar[hog]. The bolt passed through both shoulders and dropped him in fifty yards. The best performance I have ever seen on these tough critters,man was I excited. Now for the bad news. First the bow has been shot aprox thirty rounds to sight in and test the scope yardages. It was perfect every shot.I am shooting beeman graphite ics thunder bolts 22. they are 22in long and have 100gr tips for a total wieght of 480gr. After my hog hunt i shot my bow into a target to unload and it missed completlly the whole deer target. I tried a new bolt and it hit the dirt 2/3 way to the 20yd target The next dissapeared. The bow seems to be noisier. I have checked all the allen screws and they are tight. Also my partner said that the bolt seemed to fly erratic when we tested it on a long shot. another lost bolt. the scope is tight. Under close inspection I am seeing some very small linear cracks or openings in the camo finish on the limbs. I cant say if they were there befor.I have been waxing the string every few shots and it looks good. I have one more weekend left of my season and dont have time to return the bow. this was also the first time the bow was left loaded for hours as I sat on a stand. Please help with ideas if you can. The office is closed until monday and I am here at camp with others hunting and me left behind. HELP HELP thanks Ken
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bluewaterken the standard bolt length is 20" so I do not know if the extra 2" of length would effect arrow/bolt flight or not. As fas as being in a loaded condition for 4 hours or more should not be a problem..I sure would have the very small linear cracks checked out asap.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
dw

Post by dw »

sounds like a scope problem. my buddy put a varizone on his tenpoint crossbow and we would sight it in and maybe ten or so shots later it would hit 10 feet in front of the target. sight it back in and a couple of shots later it would shoot high and miss the target completly. we called excalibur, sent the old one back put on the new one and no more problems! length of bolt shouldnt matter. just my 2 cents worth
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

dw I agree on the length of bolt and the 2" should be no problem under normal conditions. Scope sure could be bad no question about that and one he should be able to tell real fast by changing scope.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
bluewaterken

Post by bluewaterken »

my apologies to excaliber for having doubts. I read as many threads as I could about accuracy problems and reinspected my bow. The pro shop that set up my bow adjustyed the brace heigth just past the second timing mark with the theory that it would stretch a little and end up inbetween the marks. which it did. When I started having problems I noticed that it had gone all the way to the first mark but not past so I thought it was o.k. since I read the threads I reset the string back to the first mark''''''''' a miracle the arrow flight straightened out the noise went away and the impact was back on dead center. I checked the vari zone out to 50 and it is hitting dead center. I aslo looked very closly at the cracks in the surface of the limbs, they don't change when the bow is loaded or relaxed. I think that they are places where the camo finish didn't fill all the porasity in the glass when it was applied. ready for next weekend. Thanks for the replies and good luck to you all.
gad

Re: help/?? exomax gone wild season ending

Post by gad »

bluewaterken wrote:... Under close inspection I am seeing some very small linear cracks or openings in the camo finish on the limbs. I cant say if they were there befor....
this little cracks are on my max to. Although I do not shot more than 20~30 shots, I don't think that is the problem.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Those little lines on the limbs are normal.
That's how they come from Excalibur.
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

bluewaterken wrote:my apologies to excaliber for having doubts. I read as many threads as I could about accuracy problems and reinspected my bow. The pro shop that set up my bow adjustyed the brace heigth just past the second timing mark with the theory that it would stretch a little and end up inbetween the marks. which it did. When I started having problems I noticed that it had gone all the way to the first mark but not past so I thought it was o.k. since I read the threads I reset the string back to the first mark''''''''' a miracle the arrow flight straightened out the noise went away and the impact was back on dead center. I checked the vari zone out to 50 and it is hitting dead center. I aslo looked very closly at the cracks in the surface of the limbs, they don't change when the bow is loaded or relaxed. I think that they are places where the camo finish didn't fill all the porasity in the glass when it was applied. ready for next weekend. Thanks for the replies and good luck to you all.
There is really no problem in asking your question, IMO, I'm glad you have solved your problem :D

Did you watch the video that came with your bow??, I have had mine for a few years and wen't back the other day and watched my video, it had a few things I had forgotten and it was also enjoyable :D

Here is a link to Excals on line videos if you haven't seen them :)
Http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/video.html

One of the main reasons I chose an Excalibur was ... "no more pro shops" :wink:

Good luck

leo
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bluewaterken glad to read you got it worked out!! best of luck to ya...By first mark do you mean the first mark from the riser end :?: I have mine set at 1 1/8" from riser. Marks on my riser are not there. Noise is low, bolt weight is 454, speed is 323fps. getting 102KE..thanks for your update.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

I had the same problem with my exocet. Great accuracy from the start and after about 40 shots, the bolts were "fishtailing" and the groups opened way up. (peep & pin sight) I checked all the screws etc. Then put a square across the string & rails. It was way off which allowed the string to hit (push) at an angle. I then measured the flex in the limbs and one was much more flexed than the other. Uncocked it was obvious on close examination and cocked, even more so. One limb was @ 3/4" closer to the rail extrusion than the other cocked. I would think this is critical in crosbows; much more than compounds or recurves as you can adjust the rest & nocking points and tune the cams to make the string always present a perfect 90 degree angle to the arrow.
The factory sent a new set of limbs which I installed and it shoots great again. It's still slightly off but much better than it was.