DEER CHUM

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Brampton Mike

DEER CHUM

Post by Brampton Mike »

:oops: :oops: I seem to recall a thread on here, at least I think it was on here, about items you can get from your local co-op to set up a type of bait site for deer but I can't seem to find it....anyone remember it??? thanks :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
stump

Post by stump »

Mike, you have a pm

Post by Guest »

I wouldn't mind having that information myself if anyone could help. Thanks
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

bigmac

Post by bigmac »

You should be able to get the information you are looking for at www.canadiancamo.com under the food plots section. Hope this helps!!
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

LeBarons in Ottawa sells that stuff too for about the same price.

The "Sweet Feed" Horse feed is much cheaper at $12 for 25KG and from what I've heard the deer like it just as much as the chum. I have not found a co-op store in the Ottawa area that sells sweet feed cheaper than that but some of the boys on the forum say you can get it for about $15 for 50KG at a co-op store.

I was wondering, what time of the year do the black bears start to Hibernate? I don't want to be sneaking up to my stand in the dark and come across a black bear eating any type of feed I've left out, he might get a sudden craving for fresh meat. :shock:
stump

Post by stump »

5 Span Feed and Seed in Pakenham sells the corn and molasses mixture for under $14/40kg bag.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I was wondering, what time of the year do the black bears start to Hibernate? I don't want to be sneaking up to my stand in the dark and come across a black bear eating any type of feed I've left out, he might get a sudden craving for fresh meat. :shock:[/quote]

I shot a black bear Nov. 23/01, he was sitting over top my deer feed. I wasn't even baiting for deer then. I had 15 or 20, 5 gallon pails of grain set out in the bush for the deer through the winter if it ever got cold and lots of snow, just to get them through the winter a little easier. This guy just didn't want to go in his den.

So if there's feed out there the bears will stay with it till hunting season is over.

Grey Owl
jeff

Post by jeff »

The co-op in Port Perry, Ontario on Lake Scugog sells a sweet feed for $11.50/40kg bag. They also have a deer block that sells for around $14. It's similar to a salt block but has more mineral and protein in it and is made with molasses. Hope this helps.

later

jeff
raspberry patch

Post by raspberry patch »

stump and other Ottawa area residents,

First, this message is probably redundant given the short time involved but ...

I was at the 5 Span Feed (Pakenham) on Saturday and he is out of deer feed-chum variants, except cracked corn. He expects replenishment by Tuesday noon - very soon. They are a true rural feed store ... good people.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D :D Thanks everyone but that was not it....there was a recipe with it ie: how many cups of one thing mixed with how many cups of another...all of which can be purchased at the local co-op..hmmm maybe itwas on a differetn site....should have saved it when I saw it!!! :roll: Thanks again all....Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Stole this from another site, I don't know if this is along the lines of what you're looking for

cheap scent cover as well as attractant
1) A few apples, cut them in slices put in large zip locky baggie

2) Oats, uncooked oatmeal, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups

3) Small can of corn niblets, not creamed, let it dry out - can be done in oven. (you needn't do this if you have a farmer friend or relative to get cracked corn)

4) molasses is optional.

Place all inlarge zip baggie.

Take bottle water to feild with you. Put just enough water in baggie to moisten ingredients, drop a spoonful around you every now and then. To attract them, a bigger batch in soaked and squeezed than hung in a tree within range of your stand.

But as suggested, you can just go by some scen cover. This home stuff however, is relatively cheap, easy indredients, fast to prepare and can be done in large quantities fairly inexpensively. This brew works for both deer nd black bear.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

A large Jar of Penut butter. :idea: