BOLTS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BOB VANDRISH

BOLTS

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Fellows,what's the consensus out there,between aluminum and carbon bolts,and feathers and vanes?
I bought some of each of these,not realizing that there might be some differences,and have indeed found that is the case.
(These are all very similar in weights.)
My choice at this point is an aluminum bolt with feathers as they have provided me with the most consistent groups.
I have not seen much difference between 2216 and 2219 bolts for flight.
Any and all feedback is welcomed!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Bob carbon bolts are better in away as they are either good or broken, were alum. bolts can bend ever so slightly that inless you do a spin test or roll on a very flat surface you may not see it. Carbons cost a lot more.

The feathers vs vanes are feathers are lighter and more forgiving then vanes, however vanes are water proof. I myself prefere feathers.

The difference is in weight plus wall thickness between 2216's and 2219's as one is ,016 thick and the other .019 thick. At 20 yards you may not see a difference but at 30+ yards you will as the 2219 should hit lower vs the 2216.

If you are after FPS go with the 2216's or 2213's.... Depending on which crossbow I am using i go with GoldTip lazer II's with alum inserts front and rear, with a 100gr broadhead and or tip. Just my .05 cents worth. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

bob,
i will agree with gary, if you are hunting deer than 2213 or 2216 are all you will need and i also prefer feathers as they tend to be more acurate and forgiving.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
BOB VANDRISH

BOLTS

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Just so everyone knows,I am doing my target practice out at 35 yards,free hand,and I must admit,I do see a "flyer" out there once in a while that did not hit where I held!
Sometimes you buy that,as the next time with the same bolt,it will hit closer to the aim point.
I will check my aluminum bolts for any out of round properties.
I tend to agree that feathers are more forgivingas I generally get tighter groups.
How do you take the "kink" out of a vane that went into the target too far?
I have a couple like that,and thought I saw someone mention ironing it out.
Does that work?
(Not set up to do my own fletching yet.)
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Vanes use a hair dryer or hold over steam a little, wet feathers hair dryer strighten right up good as new..
Always learning!!
Home fer now!