Anyone here have a good sniffer??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Post by Guest »

I've often been able to smell deer before I see them or jump them when still hunting, etc.
Am I a freak of nature, or have other hunters here had the same experiences?
I may have some bluetick hound in my geneaology. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yea Carl you aint no freak well mabey you are :shock: :wink: ..I hunted a buck that I found with my nose...they are damn stinky when the rut is on even more....I couldnt see him but I thought if I could smell him I had to be close---I was nervous cause the area I was in was kind open I thought I should be able to see him If I could smell him--NOT..the next day i came back and sat across the creek and watched about 11 oclock he came down by the creek and I took him...I went to get him and found his beddin area in a hole that was about 50 yds from where I was the day before...It was deep hole part of a ditch. Its not the first time..so yea get close enough and you can smell em..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I think hunters have more in-tuned senses all together. Sight, smell and hearing. And it comes with practice and being out in the woods. How else do you explain walking through the woods and you don't know why but you stop and fifty yards away through a tangled maze you pick out a motionless deer or part of that deer. And sometimes it just seems so obvious you wonder how anyone could miss it, but others would miss it. I'm sure we still miss seeing deer as we walk by but I think we also see alot more than the average person just hiking.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

chris4570 wrote:I think hunters have more in-tuned senses all together. .
While we will never have the senses of the animals, we don't use nearly what we have. The more I'm in the woods each season, the more my smell, hearing & sight become sensitized. I smell deer in rut, boar hogs, rattlesnakes, foxes, spawning fish etc. later, that I didn't smell the first couple days. We get too "civilized" curled up in the lazy-boy sipping suds.
Greg
BryanOney

Smelling

Post by BryanOney »

I often smell deer and red fox as I go through a woods. People laugh at me when I tell them this. This is the only place where I am understood. Sniff Sniff :D
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

I have smelled deer on occasion, but elk are real easy. During the early fall when they go into the rut, the bulls reak!! Cows have strong odor too. That coupled with the fact that they herd up makes if possible to locate elk in thick timber if you approach downwind.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Carl, ye'ole dog you. On a cool, damp morning, is the best time for my sniffer to be active. I can smell a buck in rut, a doe in heat maybe not, but my wife, weeeeeeelll that's a different story.

Grey Owl
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Grey Owl...you crack me up :lol:
-Richard-
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

RichardS!!!! where ya been man? I was about to start a post to try find ya.

You must of been hunting, come on, tell us your story.

Grey Owl
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I have smelt Moose before!!! Went scouting the day before season a 5 or 6 years back, an came across a cutoff area surrounded bt 3 mountains, and a running stream. All I could smell was a dirty stinky moose in rut. The area was 10 acres in size and that all you can smell. got the hell out of there, and went in opening morning, and within 10 minutes of daybreak I had myself 1 bull Moose. There were actullally 2 bulls answering and coming to the call, and I jumped a cow and calf going in in the dark. We have taken 4 moose from this spot in the last 5 years!!! I have never smealt deer yet!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
rtcdir

smell

Post by rtcdir »

I have smelled rutty bucks as well. But the only reason I knew what the smell was is because our family raised goats. A buck goat gets a strong sent when the does are in estrus and a buck deer has a similar sent but not as pungent.