Ontario 2017 Turkey , Opening Day / Rain / Sun > Score !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Ontario 2017 Turkey , Opening Day / Rain / Sun > Score !

Post by R.J. »

3:30 am alarm goes off and I get ready to drive approx. 1.3 hrs North for an opening morning hunt with Frank V.

In our blinds by 5:30am > Starts to rain at approx. 6:15 am …. Multiple birds gobbling on the ridge West of Franks position ( a River Flats Blind location that I have posted about many times over the years ) ( forum member , VixChix knows the spot ) …

After the fly down Frank sees approx. 8 birds traveling the field edge along the ridge at 7:15 am > A series of calls and a mature tom comes in like a freight train ! > Then , as someone famous once said “ Boom End Game “ !

I get a few pictures of misc Jakes curiously surveying the scene > cluck / gobble / move on … I take a few frames as they pass by Franks downed bird ( sorry not the best pic’s , they were 58 yards away from me and it was still raining )

We meet with Chris H. and his son for breakfast > Swap hunt stories , then I Point my truck South and heads for better weather > I stop at one farm on the way home to chat with the farmer and walk the bush line ..

Oops , I get too close to possibly an Osprey nest area > he/she screeches at me and flies circles above me …

As I drive South towards my afternoon spot the skies are clearing up nicely and I arrive to a beauty sunny afternoon ! We have taken many birds from this spot ( VixChix knows this location as well from years ago when she hunted there with me and had a real quick set up close encounter ! ) …

This property that Im hunting this afternoon , is also special to me because it is home of a blonde bearded bird , I have been watching in past season ! ( I got a picture when he was a stub beard Jake and the stub was all blonde . I saw him a week ago and his beard is 4-5 inches long now and still has the blonde end on it > Cool !

Gotta love the smell of fresh flowers and fresh cut wood along the lane … Found no shed antlers today only some critter remains …

As I head back to my position I see brids in the field and they nervously walk into the bush , so I leave my truck way South in the lane and sneak in along the trail edge … As I crouch walk up the lane and crest the rise …. a beauty Tom crosses within 7 yards of me … I am crouched down and cant get my Matrix 310 into position , but I get three awesome pictures as he heads towards the bush …

Finally set up at the Sugar Shack approx. 3:30pm … I don’t have any luminocks with me so I load a white fletched carbon and settle in for a long wait !

Hen Calling off and on all afternoon ... approx 5:30pm , I finally see movement coming towards me from the North West .

They come in fairly quickly and I have the bow to my shoulder …. What ! , I see blonde beard 2nd in line behind some hens and another Jake …

Now I’m usually cool under fire but man I’m shaking with excitement right now … The front Jake walks past me at 15 yards and the hens peck around the cover …

The front Jake looks right at me and starts to alarm cluck as he walks East … Blondie get nervous and starts to turn but he is in my ranged 20 yard opening when I slap the trigger of my Matrix 310 !

A solid hit and he flap/runs North past some trees > No pass thru but enough penetration to get the job done > the arrow fell out as he left and he was down within 7 yards past the trees that blocked my view ! …..

Sweeeeet ! What an awesome way to end the day on our Ontario Turkey Season Opening day !

Have been in contact thru text with many friends today , so I snap a few pictures and text the news .

Then a quick trip home to start to download all the misc pictures from today … VixChix text me some pictures from her exciting day as well … She scored a beauty JAke this morning and had a hen walk by the blind for entertainment during the evening hunt > Congrat’s Moni ! > I’m sure you will post to tell the story , but I’ve included the pictures to the end of my thread non the less !

Overall another exciting day in the field ! … Good Luck to all that are chasing turkeys > Hunt Safe / Have Fun and take lots of pictures !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Carnivorous

Re: Ontario 2017 Turkey , Opening Day / Rain / Sun > Score !

Post by Carnivorous »

Very cool! Outstanding post once again. Congrats to all the hunters...That blonde beard needs to be on a plaque!! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thank you so much for the great story and pics! A well deserved and hearty congratulations to you. Sounds like a perfect day. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the turkey and story!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good hunting Monica and RJ!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations Rick!!!!!!!!!
Great pics, too!

I decided not to hunt this spring because turkey numbers are down on my favorite farm to hunt. Went fishing opening day on that farm. Setting on the pond dam (next to the woods) watching my line in the water and hear a cluck behind me. Looked behind me and there was a hen within a few yards watching ME. :lol:
Couldn't get a pic, though. The second I started to reach for my camera she remembered she wanted to be somewhere else. :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great hunt story and photos as always Rick!

Congrats to Frank on a beautiful tom and to you, Rick, on that blonde bearded bird! Very unique! Nice that you had some sunshine too - it was pretty cool and gloomy weather in our area for the most part.

Our son was away at camp yesterday - when Tim & I realized that it coincided with turkey opener we both took the day off to hunt it. It sure was nice to be able to get up at dark thirty and not have to sneak through the house trying not to wake anyone else. We had lights on, boots clomping, I could yell "hey Tim, did you grab my binos?" :mrgreen:

We headed out to hunt separate blinds along a field edge. Had some early gobbles in the woods behind us but then nothing until the jake came out to my deke at about 6:30. Since I had tag soup last year I decided to shoot.

The rest of the day we shared a blind - I called & dozed while Tim waited for a bird. 4 deer passed by (because it's not deer season! :roll:) and we had the lone hen come at end of legal turkey hunting - 7 pm.

Driving home we found a nice tom strutting right on the other side of the bush we were at! Don't have permission on that side, but I got out of the car and made sure he headed into "our" woods . 8)

Hopefully we'll get a chance to play the "Turkey Game" again soon. Tim is overdue for a bird and I'm rooting for Tim to connect with that tom!

When I'm in the woods I always think of my Dad who would have loved the experience. Yesterday I was also thinking of Old Buck - he & Kevin were there for my very first turkey hunt. Great memories.

Good luck to all who are out in the woods this time of year! Stay safe and enjoy every moment!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats to the lucky (or should I say skilled) hunters. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Great pictures, wonderful story, and a memorable hunt for sure! Thanks for sharing, and congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
frodo baggins

Post by frodo baggins »

Hey way to go Monica. Congrats
munch

Post by munch »

Great pics and story as always rick congrats . Say threw the rain as well to help my daughters boyfriend get his first bird at 11am . Can't beat watching his face while I worked a big tom for 2 hours who would just not come into rage
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ...

Moni > Fun day for sure !

Terry > Great to see ya getting the new young guns into the sport !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Very nice pics! Good hunting RJ and Monica.

Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel