Grizzly bear attacks hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Grizzly bear attacks hunter

Post by Woody Williams »

Friday, October 8, 2004 Posted: 7:29 AM EDT (1129 GMT)

JACKSON, Wyoming (AP) -- Weston Scott crept through the dense forest looking to flush out an elk. He got excited when he heard rustling about 10 feet ahead, in some bushes.

What Scott saw in those first seconds last Sunday was a bear's head coming right at him. He drew up his rifle but managed only to get a shot off from about his hip before the 600-pound grizzly was on top of him.

"I think it went right over his head," Scott said Wednesday from his hospital room in Idaho Falls, Idaho, about 175 miles from Bridger-Teton National Forest, where the attack occurred. "That was all I had time to do. He was on me after that."

As Scott, 32, fell to the ground, the bear bit him in the face. It took out four teeth on Scott's lower jaw and a 1-inch portion of jawbone.

Scott later told his wife, Tammy, that he was sure he would die when he saw the bear so close. He told her the bear made no sounds -- no grunting or growling.

"It was definitely coming after him to hurt him," she said. "It was coming at him with his mouth open."

She said her husband never said anything about pain, possibly because his adrenaline kicked in immediately.

"I can't imagine the absolute terror he must have experienced," she said.
Tammy Scott said after the bear bit her husband's face, it continued to knock him around.

"He's got surface wounds kind of everywhere" -- on his knees, side and back, she said. "Looking at him, you know he got rolled around by a bear."

The bear swung one last time at Scott, pushing him between two trees, and left. Scott got up and ran out of the woods, about a quarter of a mile.

On his way out, he could see the bear still lurking. Officials said the animal was then killed by a hunting companion acting in self-defense.
Tammy Scott said her husband has had enough.

"I don't think he will hunt in grizzly bear country again," she said. "One of the first things out of his mouth was, 'I don't ever want to feel like that again."'
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Post by Guest »

Well, humans are not the only predators on this planet. Men kill bears, deers... and sometimes a bear attacks a man. I have no problem with that.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

"........and sometimes a bear attacks a man. I have no problem with that."

It sure seems like a lot of "Guests" make silly arse statements on here..
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Post by Guest »

Why? Nature is cruel. And we are still a part of it. I have no problem with the truth.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Woody Williams wrote:"........and sometimes a bear attacks a man. I have no problem with that."

It sure seems like a lot of "Guests" make silly arse statements on here..

guest,, you are a real arshole!
Stay off this forum if you are that much of a coward and have to use "guest" ,,, a real man would not make a comment like that and hide under a mask! You troll! If youwant to voice your opinon maybe you should voice it to people who really give a rats ass about what you have to say..

BTW the names Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Anonymous wrote:Well, humans are not the only predators on this planet. Men kill bears, deers... and sometimes a bear attacks a man. I have no problem with that.
W.W. Guest has too be a city slicker and can't have the knowledge of a person whom understands Nature, and by know means of the imagination can he be a hunter that roams in BEAR country :!:

Now with that being stated we will leave it at that :!: :twisted:Image
Always learning!!
Home fer now!

Post by Guest »

Please stop crying and whining, ok?
I thought you are real men! :lol:
BTW the names Harry
Ah, fine that your not hidden, Mr. Harry. :D

A bear attacked a man. So what? Men kill thousands of bears. That's ok, but I hate your complainings and your &%/ing whining.
I can't even see a woman cry... :lol:
(Please don't get a heart attack now! :shock: 8) )
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

OK. I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I'm not attacking Woody or the accuracy of his post.

I get a bit concerned though, when I read that sort of post. It has a tendancy to create bear paranoia.

First of all, attacks like this are not the common experience of people who go into "grizzly country". It does happen, of course, but it is not that frequent. If bears were that much of a threat, we as a species, wouldn't have got past the stage where we were armed with stone tipped spears and arrows. Bears are not so much of a threat that they deserve to be shot on sight. Bears aren't cuddly balls of fur like the Disneyites would suggest, nor are they searching out humans to kill at first chance.

If every motorcycle accident got the same degree of attention as a bear attack, I wonder if we would be allowed to ride. I don't have the stats, but my instinct tells me that there are many more motorcyle accidents than bear attacks.

I suspect that a lot of bear attacks arise because more and more people unfamiliar with the bush and wild game decide to go camping, hiking, or yes, even hunting.

Woody, I realize you are NOT suggesting that every grizzly should be shot on sight. However, a post like this, I hope will also create some discussion of what to do to avoid attack, protective measures that might help in the event of attack, etc. Otherwise I fear this will be like posts I see on various forums that merely serve to frighten people about bears. Bears deserve to be respected as a potential source of harm, but not vilified.

Again, I repeat, please do not view this as a personal attack. I am raising my point because I see a pattern in this subject on various forums, and I would like to see some balance to the discussion.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hi5,

I don't take it personal at all.

It is hunting related after all and I thought it deserved posting.

Nothing more and nothing less.

No hidden messages or agendas.

I also know of a bowhunter that was killed and eaten by a bear in BC and I have not posted that one.

As far as the "Guest" is concerned I do have serious reservations about people who people who put human lives on a par with animals. My take on him is he is an idiot..
Woody Williams

Post by Guest »

As far as the "Guest" is concerned I do have serious reservations about people who people who put human lives on a par with animals.
READ, man! Men are a part of nature, and like any other beeing they can be attacked by predators. Bad luck, nothing more, nothing less. We share this planet with many creatures, some of them are predators and do what we do: Kill others!
That's the truth, better learn to live whith it instead of attacking others.

So, I'm off now. There are too many cowards and whining kids in this forum. That makes me sick.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out..
Woody Williams

Allan

Post by Allan »

READ, man! Men are a part of nature, and like any other beeing...

Stop buzzing us!!!

(I couldn't resist.)
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Another good example of why users should be forced to sign in before posting. :roll: Any other forum I am a member of, I have to sign in first!

While on the bear topic, saw this on the news the other night.

Web Posted Oct 8 2004 07:54 AM MDT

Hunter recovering after grizzly attack
Calgary - A 53-year-old woman is recovering in hospital after being attacked by a mother bear that appeared to be protecting her cubs.

Fran Nykoluk was elk hunting with her husband north of Blairmore when they became separated while looking for an animal they shot.

She stumbled across a bear and her two cubs, and was mauled by the mother. She suffered head, chest and leg injuries, but managed to walk to the trailhead, where her husband Rick found her.

She was airlifted to Foothills Hospital, where she's in serious condition.

Steve Herrero, a grizzly expert at the University of Calgary, says it's more likely for a hunter to surprise a bear because they're trying to be quiet, and that the majority of bear attacks outside of national parks involve hunters.

"In addition to that, small groups of human beings are more likely to be injured than larger groups," he said.

A bear response team, bear dogs and Fish and Wildlife officers are in the Isolation Creek area and have closed roads and trails to make sure no one wanders in.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Partikle wrote:Another good example of why users should be forced to sign in before posting. :roll: Any other forum I am a member of, I have to sign in first!..........
I agree.. The Animal Rights Freaks (ARFs) like to search out hunting groups and start trolling..
Woody Williams

Vince (not logged in)

Post by Vince (not logged in) »

Bear/cat attacks are much more common than we are being lead to believe.
I can't believe anyone would minimize the impact on society!!!!

Pipeline workers, forest workers, joggers, mothers and hunters in the Western half of Canada and the Northern US are all too familiar with this phenomena of being stalked and killed for food.

I invite anyone who wants to learn some truth about the magnitude of this problem to read a NON-FICTION book on this topic.
Bear Attacks: The Deadly Truth by James Gary Shelton.