New crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

New crossbow

Post by B-Logger »

Greeting

I've been away from the forum for a long while but now have a few questions.

Mainly I'm looking to upgrade my bow. I've shot an Exo-Mag for quite some time but looking at the more compact bows. I did yesterday sort of look at a few at a bow shop but very undecided.

One big question is cocking the bow. I had a difficult time cocking the new micro bow using a rope cocker. I mostly use the crank to cock my bow now but sometimes do use the rope cocker. Could I still use my crank or would I have to buy a new one?

How do the newer bows compare with my Exo-mag?

How difficult is it to string or tighten the string on these new bows. Looks to be tough!

Any cons on the newer bows I need to be aware of?

I see 150 grain broadheads are recommended. Is it possible to use a lighter head?

What if I used aluminum bolts rather than carbon? I have always used aluminum and have no problem plus I still have lots of vanes for refletching.

Can the bows still be uncocked with the rope cocker?

Thanking you in advance.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
hunter with MS

Re: New crossbow

Post by hunter with MS »

I to have a Exo-mag and a Exo-max . A little over a year ago I switched to a Matrix 330 I found it easy to cock using the rope it is easier to cock due to the shorter draw length and you can use a cocker if you need to I do now because of my MS . yes you can shoot lighter heads with these xbows I shoot 125 grain changing strings is as easy as with the mag you can decock it using the rope . yes you can use the arrows you use now . The xbow comes with carbon arrows they are 18 inch not 20 and they have a 2 inch vane I say find a shop that you can shoot different ones .I would research the Matrix line
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The main difference between the bow you have and the micros is that your bow is much larger, much easier to cock, and more accurate. That's it. You otherwise treat the bows the same. I do agree with looking into the matrix 330 as well.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Thank you to both who have answered. Yes, just beginning my research.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The regular matrix 330 would be perfect for you .narrower and still easy to cock
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

The only problem I had and it was a small one was some of the screws would loosing up so I fixed that by checking every screw and putting blue loc tite on them and screwing them back down problem solved . My Matrix 330 is just as accurate as my Max just a lot lighter and shorter . Please let us know if and what you choose .
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Will do but not sure when I'll buy but probably yet this summer. Think I'll probably get one from Danny if I buy.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

B-Logger wrote:Will do but not sure when I'll buy but probably yet this summer. Think I'll probably get one from Danny if I buy.
Excellent choice :wink:
But from my dealings with him I believe he will probably ask you...
Whats wrong with the one you have? :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

BrotherRon wrote:
B-Logger wrote:Will do but not sure when I'll buy but probably yet this summer. Think I'll probably get one from Danny if I buy.
Excellent choice :wink:
Yes indeed. That is what I'd expect from Danny. He is a good man. I think he'll like my answer too. I want to get my wife back into shooting.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

BrotherRon wrote: Excellent choice :wink:
B-Logger wrote: Yes indeed. That is what I'd expect from Danny. He is a good man. I think he'll like my answer too. I want to get my wife back into shooting.
[/quote]

You gonna give her your old one? :mrgreen:
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

BrotherRon wrote:
BrotherRon wrote: Excellent choice :wink:
B-Logger wrote: Yes indeed. That is what I'd expect from Danny. He is a good man. I think he'll like my answer too. I want to get my wife back into shooting.
You gonna give her your old one? :mrgreen:[/quote]

Yes until she decides if she wants to stick with it. We used to hunt together for many years and our 2 sons also. Then after shoulder problems she had to stop archery and soon after had to stop with the rifle too. I tried to talk her into crossbow but she just gave up. Now she is at least thinking about it. And I would like a new bow; just because.

btw, it is a shame she can't shoot the rifle because she is a good shot. I did buy her a .22 years ago that fit her nicely. To let you know how good of a shot she is, last summer she kept track and she shot 97 chipmunks and many of those were babies. All with the .22. This doesn't count other animals but just gives you an idea. She is a better shot than I am!

One more think that might or might not be of interest, my bride and I will celebrate our wedding anniversary next Friday. This will be #55 for us. My first wife.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Congrats on 55 years. Quite an accomplishment for the times we are living in :)
Considering your age and the environment you hunt, I would have to say that either the Matrix 310 or 330 would be a great choice.
The 330 in a very good hunting crossbow that is still easily cocked by hand.
The 310 is also a very good hunting crossbow, but is much easier for someone like me that likes to sit around and target shoot an hour or two at a time.
The older I get, the more my body complains.
Last edited by BrotherRon on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Yes, the same woman... That is amazing. I know that woman so can say that with authority!
Keep smiling!
Dennis